Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  jst how quick and fast is a 3.4 DOHC fiero?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

jst how quick and fast is a 3.4 DOHC fiero? by Exotic Rida
Started on: 03-02-2004 12:13 AM
Replies: 37
Last post by: Godson on 03-06-2004 01:59 PM
Exotic Rida

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
User Banned

Report this Post03-02-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Exotic RidaSend a Private Message to Exotic RidaDirect Link to This Post

any car to compare it with?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Exotic Rida:

any car to compare it with?

A 308 Ferrari. The Fiero is an American Ferrari especially the 88 although not as polished as a 308.
Mine runs great. It is a 3.4 TDC out of a 91 5 speed W Body. I have had several encounters with newer ls1 Vettes and a ls1 Firehawk Firebird and beat them from stop light to stop light. I have had mine up to about 143 according to a Vette owner who paced me on the highway. I didnt have my speedo hooked up at the time but then again it only goes to 120. Based upon past experience at the track and the many fast cars I have owned I would estimate mine is in high 12 to low 13s when launched right. I plan on taking it to the track this year. I am running a 4.10 4 speed.

I shut down the local ricers, havent lost a race with them including a WRX and an S2000. There was this black supercharged Mercedes that I couldnt take but he didnt take me either and there was this stock looking mid 80s camaro (not even az28, a v6 badged coupe) that I barely beat.

I just wanted to add that with the 5 speed your not going to be as quick but will probably be able to go faster ..if you dare. Mine was starting to feel light on the front at high speed but went straight as an arrow..I would imagine with the aero nose and lowered with the suspension upgraded it would possible to go much faster

I love to cruise in mine, the sound, the feel ....

------------------

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 03-02-2004).]

cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
i think the average is around a 14.5 which i believe is around the stock mustang GT times. but like erik said, a 4:10 4spd will make you much quicker. also, talk to DKOV, i think he can tell you a way to retard the exhaust cams that will give more HP.

-Fish

liltobe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liltobeSend a Private Message to liltobeDirect Link to This Post
Way to represent the Fiero Erik, nice kills, yeah, you took the words out of my mouth with the areo nose and lowered front, Im gonna rebuild my 2.8, but when that dies, Im gonna swap something, I really like the 3.4 DOHC's potential, with a turbo properly tuned, you got a beast.

Im waiting to see how Kameo Kid's 3.4 turbo turns out, im sure it'll be sick, with a lot of attention to detail, cant wait for the 1/4 mile times.
Anybody have any power curve graphs, any before and after mod dyno #''s?
-peace

------------------

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2004 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Garth's 87GT 3.4TDC/Isuzu has run a 13.4@106
FordsNeverDie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FordsNeverDieClick Here to visit FordsNeverDie's HomePageSend a Private Message to FordsNeverDieDirect Link to This Post
I know that Chris West' `86 SE runs way better than 14's. His is around 300 hp out a 3.4DOHC turbo, with the stock tranny, with craploads of suspension work done. He has pics on his website under their "completed projects" at www.westcoastfiero.com
FordsNeverDie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FordsNeverDieClick Here to visit FordsNeverDie's HomePageSend a Private Message to FordsNeverDieDirect Link to This Post

FordsNeverDie

952 posts
Member since May 2003

Originally posted by liltobe:

Way to represent the Fiero Erik, nice kills, yeah, you took the words out of my mouth with the areo nose and lowered front, Im gonna rebuild my 2.8, but when that dies, Im gonna swap something, I really like the 3.4 DOHC's potential, with a turbo properly tuned, you got a beast.

Im waiting to see how Kameo Kid's 3.4 turbo turns out, im sure it'll be sick, with a lot of attention to detail, cant wait for the 1/4 mile times.
Anybody have any power curve graphs, any before and after mod dyno #''s?
-peace

Leoboys setup is the same as what Chris has now. The 3.4L DOHC Turbo.. I will tell you this.. It is turning out to be whicked! Whenever I get a chance to be in that area, I stop by there, and man it is crazy! As I said in my previous post, www.westcoastfiero.com has pics of Chris' identical setup, minus some of the chrome.

They also had a 400+hp @ the wheels 3.8L S/C+T that got picked up about 3 months ago. Now you really wanna talk about whicked!

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FordsNeverDie:

Legoboys setup is the same as what Chris has now. The 3.4L DOHC Turbo.. I will tell you this.. It is turning out to be whicked! Whenever I get a chance to be in that area, I stop by there, and man it is crazy! As I said in my previous post, www.westcoastfiero.com has pics of Chris' identical setup, minus some of the chrome.

They also had a 400+hp @ the wheels 3.8L S/C+T that got picked up about 3 months ago. Now you really wanna talk about whicked!

there is some 20min worth of video now on their website of Chris running through the mountains too. pretty kool when you hear the DOHC running too.

SMorris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMorrisSend a Private Message to SMorrisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kameo Kid:

there is some 20min worth of video now on their website of Chris running through the mountains too. pretty kool when you hear the DOHC running too.

Ok... Where? I couldn't find the video... Help!

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SMorris:

Ok... Where? I couldn't find the video... Help!

http://fieros.westcoastfiero.com/pix/photos/

try this

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2004 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Yeah where is the video at? I wanna see. Kameo? Link

------------------

Maroon 1987 GT 5 spd: 2.8L
Ferrari Red 1988 Formula 5 spd: 3800 Series II Supercharged In & Running.....

My Website: http://www.members.cox.net/rare88/
CarDomain Website: http://www.cardomain.com/id/rare87gt

PFF
System Bot
Slammed Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2004 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroSend a Private Message to Slammed FieroDirect Link to This Post
I would think that you should be faster than a 14.5 if you beat a WRX. Even the best WRX drivers with abusive launches will get low 14'.3 @ best. from a roll there not that strong.

4 cams are always better than 1

------------------

1986 GT Northstar 5spd , direct port nitrous nprogress
2002 Mini (autocross car)
2004 WRX (daily driver)
www.geocites.com/morley_m/northstar.htm

WhiteFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteFieroGTSend a Private Message to WhiteFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
do you have any work done to your engine Erik ?
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I know the picture's getting old, but the new donor engine will be here in a week or less!
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WhiteFieroGT:

do you have any work done to your engine Erik ?

Its the stock original manual equipped TDC, no power steering, underdrive pulley custom free flowing intake and exhaust and a lightweight flywheel.

WhiteFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteFieroGTSend a Private Message to WhiteFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
awesome ... hey fierobsessed do you have any information as to how to duplicate that
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

I know the picture's getting old, but the new donor engine will be here in a week or less!

Fierobsessed,
Hmmmm 3.8 SC or 3.4 DOHC SC ..Make mine a 3.4 DOHC SC

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Erik

5625 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Originally posted by WhiteFieroGT:

awesome ... hey fierobsessed do you have any information as to how to duplicate that

I sure it would include , money, welding skills, math skills, hard work and most important...insanity

WhiteFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteFieroGTSend a Private Message to WhiteFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
haha ... i think i qualify hah if he had specs and everything ... i would so do that
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't even contemplate duplication untill the first ones complete. But, I wouldn't go about it the same way at all. I should have used a Ford Supercoupe Eaton M90 and a shallower air box. Building the motor to take the boost is a whole nother animal I have yet to tackle completly, But I do have my Idea's.
WhiteFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteFieroGTSend a Private Message to WhiteFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
couldnt you use stock internals if you were using a fairly low amount of boost ?
PFF
System Bot
SMorris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMorrisSend a Private Message to SMorrisDirect Link to This Post

try this

Thanks Kameo Kid!

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Those crate motor's we just bought were 96-97 style right? They are 9.7:1 Very little boost could be used. Something would have to be done to lower the compression to about 8.5:1. 9.0:1 is acceptable too. I'm planning on using Quad4 (non HO) pistons with custom or modified SBC Small Journal rods. Still undecided about the details on that. Or I'd go with custom pistons altogather. Either way it gets expensive.
DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post
How fast you ask?... well I beat S2000, 350Z, Mustang GT, Civic Si turbo, Eclipse 2nd gen turbo, Eclipse 3rd gen v6, Tiburon V6. The others dont count.... stock 4 cld na isnt a race. I dont have 1/4 mile time slips or dyno sheets, desktop dyno tells that I should be +300hp.

DreX

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post

try this

Man west coast video site is slow as crap. It may take up to 1 hour to download 10mb. That's ridiculous!! hehe.

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

Man west coast video site is slow as crap. It may take up to 1 hour to download 10mb. That's ridiculous!! hehe.

I cant seem to DL the zip files ..it gets up to about 5 megs and then aborts + the DL speed is very slow and I am on broadband

FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2004 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

I have had several encounters with newer ls1 Vettes and a ls1 Firehawk Firebird and beat them from stop light to stop light.

Your encounters with LS1's would indicate to me that they didn't know how to drive their cars. They are really quick if ya know how to launch em.

------------------
Tim
Red 88 Formula Auto 2.8 100K+ Miles - Hypertech - No Cat - No EGR

Murphys Law - "Nothing is as easy as it looks, Everything takes longer than you expect, And if anything can go wrong - it will, At the worst possible moment!"

FordsNeverDie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2004 04:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FordsNeverDieClick Here to visit FordsNeverDie's HomePageSend a Private Message to FordsNeverDieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

This would be a good one to put Legoboy's car up against!

This Picture: A 3.4L DOHC that takes approx. 7-10% of its overall power just ot make boost of the blower ...
Legoboys: A 3.4L DOHC that takes approx. 0-0% of its overall power just to make boost from the exhaust of the turbo!

--- Goober!

cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2004 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FordsNeverDie:

This would be a good one to put Legoboy's car up against!

This Picture: A 3.4L DOHC that takes approx. 7-10% of its overall power just ot make boost of the blower ...
Legoboys: A 3.4L DOHC that takes approx. 0-0% of its overall power just to make boost from the exhaust of the turbo!

--- Goober!

Actually, that's not entirely accurate, turbos do create more backpressure on an exhuast, which means more restriction, which means they do take some power to run. BUT, they still don't take as much as a blower does.

-Fish

WhiteFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2004 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteFieroGTSend a Private Message to WhiteFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
i have tried to find information about turbo'ing but i cant find it ANYWHERE ... i guess i am going to go w/ the n/a 3400 then ... and retard the exhaust cams 13 deg ... but even doing that i need to get a core motor and start the stupid swap
Fiberglast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2004 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FiberglastSend a Private Message to FiberglastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liltobe:

Im gonna rebuild my 2.8, but when that dies, Im gonna swap something, I really like the 3.4 DOHC's potential, with a turbo properly tuned, you got a beast.

I'd go for the 3.4 instead of spending time rebuilding the 2.8 then swapping it out with a 3.4 dohc. Rebuild kits cost 599$ at fierostore. Machine shop will cost around 300$.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2004 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FrugalFiero:

Your encounters with LS1's would indicate to me that they didn't know how to drive their cars. They are really quick if ya know how to launch em.

they knew how to drive. Its hard to beat a 4.10 off the line. Anyway, I didnt beat the Vettes or the Firehawk by much, but then again they appeared to be stock. At least thats what 2 of the owners said. Im sure if they were modded I would have lost. If it was a longer race then I would have lost as my gearing is so low and HP is not near as much. Of course I could mod mine out and blow them away, all it takes is some NOS or some work and some money ...been there done that many times in previous cars I've owned. I just love the Fiero with a 2** HP motor than can run with cars with amost twice the power
WhiteFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2004 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteFieroGTSend a Private Message to WhiteFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
so if i sent you my car would you install it for me for free ... id even let you drive it first haha i wish i had time and money to finish ... or should i say start
BadmojoFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2004 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadmojoFieroSend a Private Message to BadmojoFieroDirect Link to This Post
That's what i'm planning on doing... a supercharged 3.4. I give you a lot of credit, Fierobsessed! I may be emailing you sometime soon about how you did that, because at this point in time, the 3400 is still sitting on its stand!

I know that a 13* retard DOHC has around 250HP at the flywheel, with around that much torque, though a few mods and you can get it higher than that N/A... http://fiero.cc/fiero-tdc/members/mws/ he has a 240 rear wheel horsepower DOHC. It looks like it's a beast.

Happy modding.

[This message has been edited by BadmojoFiero (edited 03-05-2004).]

Godson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2004 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodsonSend a Private Message to GodsonDirect Link to This Post
Ok I have a huge question, what all is needed to swap in a 3.4 DOHC into a fiero and can the heads, intake, and comp be swapped from the DOHC to the pushrod 3.4?

------------------
Don't judge me for how I talk, judge me for who I am.

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2004 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Godson:

Ok I have a huge question, what all is needed to swap in a 3.4 DOHC into a fiero and can the heads, intake, and comp be swapped from the DOHC to the pushrod 3.4?

First off, You cant swap the heads from a 3.4 DOHC to a pushrod 3.4, the blocks are different and the pistons are too. Not only that but the oiling passages are different and there are other things that are different as well

Im sorry I dont have time to do a write up of whats involved at this time but here is a good start
http://fiero.cc/fiero-tdc/members/sketch/ for the basics on the motor swap
here is some info on the wiring and info on the motor swap as well
http://www.dohcfiero.com/

Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2004 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
Why does retarding the exhaust cam give more HP? I could see it increasing torque at the expense of top end. Opening the exhaust valve earlier to get the exhaust out of the cylinder usually helps top end.

GL

Godson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2004 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodsonSend a Private Message to GodsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

First off, You cant swap the heads from a 3.4 DOHC to a pushrod 3.4, the blocks are different and the pistons are too. Not only that but the oiling passages are different and there are other things that are different as well

Im sorry I dont have time to do a write up of whats involved at this time but here is a good start
http://fiero.cc/fiero-tdc/members/sketch/ for the basics on the motor swap
here is some info on the wiring and info on the motor swap as well
http://www.dohcfiero.com/

I would be giving you a + but I havent been at this forum long enough to do it (only 4 days left until I can.) thanks for the info though

------------------
Don't judge me for how I talk, judge me for who I am.

[This message has been edited by Godson (edited 03-06-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock