Started on: 02-28-2004 01:14 AM
Replies: 28
Last post by: Pyrthian on 03-01-2004 11:27 AM
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
I got up bright and early this morning....big plans for the day. I headed over to Musicman_L7's house about 5:15AM, and picked him up, and we hit the highway. Destination...Topeka, Kansas, and a meeting with John Stricker. Our mission...to scout out and measure the parking lots we are going to be using for the autocross at Heartland Park Topeka, which on June 25-27th of this year, will be home to "Wheatstock"....the CFOG-I National Event.

John, Nic, and I met with the officers of HPT, and had a productive meeting. We then drove out to the track, where we took some measurements and some pics. This is the tentative area we will be using for our autocross...this is only a partial pic, but gives you a little idea of what we will be working with...

Mark, our guide, was kind enough to give us a driving tour of the road course in his Durango, after which, he turned us loose, and told us we could take pictures and measurements to our hearts' content. We measured the area in the photo above, and took a few pictures...and then, the three of us had a discussion about what Mark actually meant by "taking pictures to our hearts' content". We finally decided that he also meant we could take pictures out on the road course...so a lap of that course was in order....

The last turn into the main straight....you can see the staging area for the dragstrip behind the car...

Here's a shot looking back at the bridge in the turns just before you hit the last turn onto the main straight...

And here's a shot of the bleachers along the main straight...

(Sorry for the gratuitous Mustang shots...that's what I drove down to Topeka.. )

For those of you that are not planning on coming....you are going to be missing a GREAT time. The car show alone is going to be a good one...but you're going to miss the autocross on Friday, the Drags on Saturday, and, hopefully...if we can get some more cars signed up...driving on the road course on Sunday. We NEED more cars to sign up....after taking the Mustang for a slow lap today, I'm hooked...I'm going to be signing up for it. For those of you sitting on the fence...what are you waiting for? John was at Waterford Hills, and he says this track is MUCH better, and MUCH faster than Waterford Hills was. We're going to have a great time...c'mon, people...get signed up! You won't regret it...

[This message has been edited by litespd (edited 02-28-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVDirect Link to This Post
Man I can't see a thing with that red thing inthe way..

Hey mike me and shawn need a place to crash when were down for the WOW show could you or nick have a place to stay..? let me know

------------------

sluppy123

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
Pictures look great Mike, they would be perfect if the "red thing" wasn't in them j/k

So how long did it take to drive down? I'm starting to think that maybe I will register for the track day on sunday. I'm planning on trailering my car to the show, might as well try and break it as long as I can get it back home.

------------------
-Brian, Toolmaker
Lincoln, NE
Silver 87' GT- Turbo Charged/intercooled 2.8 V-6
Maroon 87' GT- 355 TPI V8, 5-speed

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
From Lincoln, probably a couple of hours. I think Litespeed said it took 3- 3 1/2 hours from Fremont.

I'm really curious why people think they're going to "break" their car on the road course. You have full control over how hard you run. If you really want to push it, fine, but if you just want to drive fast with some corners and not worry about any tickets (or oncoming traffic) then you have an opportunity to have a great time. Personally, I think the road course can be loads of fun and a lot less hard on the equipment than the drags.

John Stricker
Treasurer
Director, Kit Car/Re-Body division
CFOGi

Originally posted by sluppy123:

Pictures look great Mike, they would be perfect if the "red thing" wasn't in them j/k

So how long did it take to drive down? I'm starting to think that maybe I will register for the track day on sunday. I'm planning on trailering my car to the show, might as well try and break it as long as I can get it back home.

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Mike and John.... GREAT PICTURES! ........... Wish I was there, but I have LOTS of work left to do on the car.

For thoses of you who think you will break your car on the road course I want to second what John said......

YOU WILL NOT BREAK YOUR CAR UNLESS YOU WANT TO.

I promise that it is entirely up to you. No one will be pushing you to go faster than you are comfortable. It is just like driving fast on a wonderful, twisy, WIDE, road with no on-coming traffic or police. If I thought it would break my car do you think I would risk the thousands (yes , thousands) of hours and thousands of dollars I put in to my pride and joy? To top that, my race car has no insurance on the track. I would never risk damage or injury on the track if I thought I had no control. I am not willing to race my car head to head, but I AM willing to take it to a track day because of the low risk.

There is no reason to think that you will damage your car. I hope that helps put your mind at ease.

------------------
Paul

[This message has been edited by R Runner (edited 02-28-2004).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
First, the only reason I haven't signed up is I'm not sure that I can even be there. But, I assure you, if I can make it, I will be there and I want to run on the road course. Most importantly, I wanted to take a sec to thank you guys for the great work on this project. You are to be commended and I applaude your efforts. Happy Fieroing and thanks for all you're doing.

------------------
Ron
88 Formula, 4.9, auto, daily driver
88 Formula, 3800 SCII/4T65E Swap in Process, almost done.
88 Formula, 5 Spd, 3.4 TDC Swap in Process, just started.
88 Formula, Stock, 5 Spd, T Top, Special Days Only!
02 Dodge Ram Diesel with 32 foot Gooseneck Fiero Transport.

sluppy123

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
Notice how I said-

might as well try and break it as long as I can get it back home.

I'm not worried about the car breaking down, more worried about other people breaking it for me. Accidents do happen. I've put way more time than money into the car, making it harder to fix/replace.

sqoach

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Looks cool! Should be tons of fun! I'll be sending in my $30 very soon.
Question: How long is the main straight?

[This message has been edited by sqoach (edited 02-28-2004).]

DjDraggin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DjDragginSend a Private Message to DjDragginDirect Link to This Post
I paid up front for everything and don't even have a car right now.. hehehe And I'm registered for track day so if I don't have my car finished by then can I run the track i my lifted 2 door Yukon GT?? Awww come on!!! It'll be fun!!

Man I can't stinkin wait!! Ordered my new front clip yesterday and might be buying a complete and ready 3800SC this weekend. Cross fingers fellas.... I've yet to decide if I'm going to trailer or just go yet.. but I'm only 300 miles from there.. so if anything happens I can hitch a ride back and then go pick her up.

Any info yet on the Camping? take any pics of the so called ""campground"".. Man Kansas is flat!!!!
Thank you for the pics and the awesome update!!

------------------

Ferrari 308 GTB rebody on a modified 86SE chasis Soon to have a highly hooped up 3800SC..Ohh yeah baby!!
Contacts _ AIM / Zildjianfx _ Yahoo / djdraggin
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs.

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
(Pic won't show up - I'm at work and can't reduce it - I'll have to fix it later)

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 02-28-2004).]

rynelson85

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rynelson85Send a Private Message to rynelson85Direct Link to This Post
Hey how much more to register for the road course if I am already registered for the show?
-Ryan
PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rynelson85:

Hey how much more to register for the road course if I am already registered for the show?
-Ryan

From http://www.cfogi.org/wheatstockroadracing.htm ...

The event WILL take place IF we get enough participants. We need to have at least 60 cars pre-registered before the end of March. Pre-registration is $30 and is non-refundable if the event is held. If the event is canceled for any reason, the money will be refunded. Right now the full registration price is set at $100, but if more than 60 sign up, we may be able to make it lower.

So, we're taking $30 deposits until knowing if there will be enough entries. If so, then you'll owe $70 more. That's in addition to the show registration.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 02-28-2004).]

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
How's this work? I only have an interest in the Road Course, but have not intent to show though I'll probably gawk a bunch. Do I still need to register and if so for what?

I know, I probably should have read something first.
------------------
Ron

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-28-2004).]

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Brian,

I've seen your car and believe me, I know how you feel. (For those of you that haven't seen Brian's car, you're in for a treat in machine work) I was like a mother hen when Chris had the Finale at Waterford. Finally, just before he left for his first run, I told him to "Have fun, drive as fast as you're comfortable, and don't do something stupid" . He did fine and it was the first time he'd ever really pushed the car. To be honest, as compared to reasonably dense traffic on I80 through Lincoln, your risk of being hit by someone on the track is WAY less. The cars are spaced and it's really much less risk than on the highway. At least you know THESE people won't be talking on a cellphone while drinking a cup of coffee and putting on makeup while they're out there!

John Stricker

Notice how I said-

I'm not worried about the car breaking down, more worried about other people breaking it for me. Accidents do happen. I've put way more time than money into the car, making it harder to fix/replace.

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post

jstricker

12956 posts
Member since Apr 2002
Ron,

How about the Autocross? Were you interested in that as well? Don't forget that the registration also includes the "perks" like your meal ticket, an additional event entry for another person, T shirt, Dash Plaque, etc.

John Stricker
Treasurer, CFOGi

Originally posted by blackrams:

How's this work? I only have an interest in the Road Course, but have not intent to show though I'll probably gawk a bunch. Do I still need to register and if so for what?

I know, I probably should have read something first.

musicman_L7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for musicman_L7Send a Private Message to musicman_L7Direct Link to This Post
I can say that I'm thinking more and more about signing up for the road course after riding around it. Even though I was stuffed into the backseat of that Mustang in the photos, and Mike didn't hardly get into overdrive (we went pretty slow), it was enough to put a smile on everybody's face.

I will admit, that no matter what anybody says, I'm nervous about something breaking on my car, but I have trouble just driving across town, without something minor throwing a fit. But, I'll most likely sign up, if for no other reason, just to help make the event happen, as I'm sure I can find someone to give me a ride in their car, if I was one who helped make sure that this happens.

All in all, it was a day well spent! Mike, I hope you have more meetings you need to go to at HPT, so I can ride along again!

------------------
Nic
1987 GT 5-spd

Now accepting donations for my diseased paint...

litespd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

At least you know THESE people won't be talking on a cellphone while drinking a cup of coffee and putting on makeup while they're out there!

John Stricker

Speak for yourself, John. I've already got my cellphone charged, my coffee brewing, and my makeup at the ready....

musicman_L7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for musicman_L7Send a Private Message to musicman_L7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by litespd:

Speak for yourself, John. I've already got ~ my makeup at the ready....

MAKEUP?! That's a scary thought... Hopefully it's not that spraypaint crap for your head! Hehehehe... Just kidding!

Nic

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Nic,

Why should this surprise you? After all, he already has the ear stud!

(Sorry Mike, I just had to say it.......you were the best accesorized guy at Harbor Freight that I saw anyway)

John Stricker

Originally posted by musicman_L7:

MAKEUP?! That's a scary thought... Hopefully it's not that spraypaint crap for your head! Hehehehe... Just kidding!

Nic

musicman_L7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for musicman_L7Send a Private Message to musicman_L7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

Nic,

Why should this surprise you? After all, he already has the ear stud!

John Stricker

LOL! That's funny! I actually meant that hair fill-in paint stuff... For those pesky shiny spots. But, I could picture Mike with spiky red hair, and a little bigger stud. The red hair would go well with the red Mustang! Hahahaha...

Man, between this, and how much I was making fun of him while cleaning the car today, I'm really gonna get him fired up! You'll have to ask Mike what brand of detailing products grace the shelves of his garage. Let's just say, the name on the bottle is one that he's openly bashed before... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030819-1-028669.html

To top it off, I have pictures to prove it... Well, sorta. They're on Mike's camera, or at least they were on Mike's camera, because he probably deleted them.

I'm gonna get it for this reply!

Nic

jstricker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Being old school like I am, guys with studs in their ears is something I notice. Normally not favorably. Mike's never even registered till we were at Hooter's and the waitress was jealous!

Actually, this is the picture I had in my mind that MIke SHOULD dress like (complete with earring).

For those of you interested, this was Litespeed as a child

And you think YOU'RE going to get it!!!!

John Stricker

Originally posted by musicman_L7:

LOL! That's funny! I actually meant that hair fill-in paint stuff... For those pesky shiny spots. But, I could picture Mike with spiky red hair, and a little bigger stud. The red hair would go well with the red Mustang! Hahahaha...

Man, between this, and how much I was making fun of him while cleaning the car today, I'm really gonna get him fired up! You'll have to ask Mike what brand of detailing products grace the shelves of his garage. Let's just say, the name on the bottle is one that he's openly bashed before... https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030819-1-028669.html

To top it off, I have pictures to prove it... Well, sorta. They're on Mike's camera, or at least they were on Mike's camera, because he probably deleted them.

I'm gonna get it for this reply!

Nic

[This message has been edited by jstricker (edited 02-29-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
musicman_L7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for musicman_L7Send a Private Message to musicman_L7Direct Link to This Post
Oooohhh... I'm pretty sure that we're BOTH gonna get it now! That's too funny!

Even though your original post about the makeup and Mike's reply was the first ever written about this... It was me that started poking fun at him, and not to mention, I only live about 7 or 8 blocks from him, so I'm sure it'll be me, that takes the bull by the horns for this one. Especially since, I'm supposed to be at his house again tomorrow night to help with reinstalling his brake rotors/calipers after he's done painting everything. So, that's not really enough time for him to forget about this... It's gonna be great! I think I'd better take Chrissy with me, because he usually holds back a little if there's a female within earshot!

Nic

KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVDirect Link to This Post
hey slacker ya you and Mike check your PM's

------------------

musicman_L7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for musicman_L7Send a Private Message to musicman_L7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by KEV:

hey slacker ya you and Mike check your PM's

PM sent...

Nic

blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Chuck, \I do have an interest in the Auto X and the Road Course, but not the show for my own car. So just as soon as I know that I can come, I will be signing up and sending in my cash. It's hell being born with good looks but poor you know. Having to work for everyihing in life is rewarding, but not as easy.

------------------
Ron

litespd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Nic....John....you guys will pay....and royally...

You guys are just jealous of me and my good looks. You'd be surprised at how many compliments I got on my earring...from women...when I first got it. Maybe I'll even wear my Fiero earring to Wheatstock!

Nic...you can't prove a thing....it's your word against mine...

Paybacks ARE Hell....

Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Chuck, \I do have an interest in the Auto X and the Road Course, but not the show for my own car. So just as soon as I know that I can come, I will be signing up and sending in my cash. It's hell being born with good looks but poor you know. Having to work for everyihing in life is rewarding, but not as easy.

Ron, we understand your position however registration for the Wheatstock event is for everyone, regardless of whether they participate in the extra events (such as drag racing, road racing, or the autocross) or not. (Please see the first paragraph of this URL: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/035703.html ) By charging this "cover charge" per say, we effectively distribute the entire cost of the facilities rental across all that attend. By doing so this allows us to bring quality events to everyone at a reasonable rate. Please email or PM me if you need more clarification!

Eric Schneck, CFOGi President
------------------

[This message has been edited by Boomtastic (edited 02-29-2004).]

Ancaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-29-2004 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AncasterSend a Private Message to AncasterDirect Link to This Post
I need to get a move on need to get a motor ni my car ASAP I cant miss this adn pretty sure it wont be the same driving up in a Amigo or grand prix
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2004 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to save up cash for the weekend. Also working on getting a trailer, so I can go and push the car with confidance. I know at the Waterford event, there were some scary moments, but everyone who drove there drove out (I think?). Any Michigan people planning on going? Possible caravan? I really really really want to make it. Waterford was the most fun I've ever had with clothes on, and this track looks even better!

------------------
1985 Fiero SE
Plain Red V6 Coupe

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock