Faster 1/4 mile Turbo 2.8, or 92 3.4 TDC? and Auto Xing by OutlawFiero
Started on: 02-13-2004 12:36 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Pyrthian on 02-13-2004 10:15 AM
OutlawFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OutlawFieroClick Here to visit OutlawFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OutlawFieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok folks, weigh in on the opinions. I don't want to wear a flame suit or anything, I'm just trying to make a decision.

I have a brand new 3.4 TDC in crate and am debating upon trying to install that engine and deal with all the legal issues and such for a CA swap. With the steering pump idler pulley and other mods like it I figure this engine could put out about 230 hp. Stock they are 210. This is with a Getrag 5 speed. Cost about 5K for everything that I have left to do.

Or I could build up the 2.8 to get it to 175 hp stock, with headers, port/polish and other suggestions people have. Rebuild the engine, and Turbo it with 7psi boost. Engine should get to about 240 to 250 hp? Does this sound about right? Cost 3.5 to 4K. I do already have upgraded ignition to stock engine.with MSD.

What would you do? Consider the weight gain of the TDC. The hassle of the install, and CA smog nazis. And what I'm looking for is the quicker, and better car for SCCA runs.

The car is an 88GT that I will post pictures of soon. The suspension is coilover all the way around. The car is prepped for Auto X. Which setup will wor better all the way around?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
smokinjoefission

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smokinjoefissionClick Here to visit smokinjoefission's HomePageSend a Private Message to smokinjoefissionDirect Link to This Post
My $0.02: reliability with a 2.8 and that kind of HP is going to be an issue. It'll be a high-strung beast needing lots of care and attention. I'd opt for the 3.4 swap.

------------------
Smokin Joe Fission
1985 Fiero SE 2.8

Perhaps I shouldn't have taken on a Fiero that the original owner said he liked to work on, especially after it spent some time 'submerged'. At least the car was free.

ls3mach

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
You have a brand new TDC motor. PUT THAT IN. Man it would be worth it. The 2.8 will probably never run that well at 200+HP. I would go for the 7k redline.
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
TDC. If its bran new you have a 200,000 mile motor ready to go. Remember you will have a 210-230hp engine that is stock and will last 200,000 miles if maintaned. I hoped up, turbo 2.8 will never last. If you have the funds, do the swap. Anyone else agree with this?

------------------
-Chris
86 GT
95 Camaro 3.4 swap, Ported and polished heads and intake, Cam, Isuzu 5 speed, Short Shifter, New Exhaust, No Cat, Flowmaster, Polly mounts, Full Polly Suspension, Intrax 2" drop springs, Sencetrack Struts and Shocks, Grand AM brake upgrade, steel braided brake lines, 17" Gun Metal Wheels, Khumo Tires, Racing Seats, Grant carbon fiber Steering wheel, Carbon Fiber Dash and shift knob.

Hartz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HartzSend a Private Message to HartzDirect Link to This Post
As a guy who owns a hi-po, high dollar turbo V6, I say install the 3.4 TDC. If it was going into an automatic, I'd say consider the turbo, but for a 5 speed - go with the TDC.

Hartz

------------------
'84 SC 5.7L V8
'85 SE 3.1L V6 Turbo - FOR SALE
Hartz's Toys

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
3.4 for SURE!! I doubt you'd see that kind of power at the wheels with the turbo 2.8 anyways. I think you'd be happier with the tdc and the 5 speed pair.. Heck its worth it for the sound alone, unless ur like me and crave the BOV...
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yes, my vote is the TDC also. and, I think you are allowed to turbo that also

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock