Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Someone reproduce the recall weather strip!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Someone reproduce the recall weather strip! by Fastback 86
Started on: 12-28-2003 04:24 AM
Replies: 20
Last post by: jtiger186 on 01-18-2004 12:37 PM
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Why hasn't the Fiero Store, AusFiero, Rodney Dickman, SOMEBODY reproduced the recalled weather strip for the rear decklid?? It can't be too hard to make a copy and everyone will buy one! They always sell instantly on the mall, ebay, and elsewhere. Last I heard, they were a scapegoat; they didn't actually cause a problem but GM needed to blame the engine fires and etc on something so they got recalled. Now we all have cars with the rear window steaming up and the forward manifolds in danger of cracking every time it rains! If I had a way to make these rubber strips, or access to one to try and copy, I'd do it, but I don't. So who wants to take on the challenge?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierokid87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
well I was able to find a good one in a junk yard car. But when i first got my blue 87 coupe. I had it. However i only had part of it. when who ever performed the recall, instead of removing it they cut it.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey I have one of them too.
The clips look hard to find.

------------------

JohnF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post
Titanium edged-fabric rubber replacements were available from a Florida vendor a coupel of years ago. Unfortunately, I have forgotten his address/name. They were about $25.00. Looks, installs and functions exactly as originals.

Maybe the vendor will recognize this post and announce the availability.

RossT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
I have one of his. It looks nothing like the stock unit but does a better job at keeping the water out. Let me did around my in my parts boxes....
RossT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post

RossT

3038 posts
Member since May 99
Ok, I found the pics for now, will post his e-mail later when I dig out the parts. I don't think they are titanium, but they do install easily and you can use either the stock clips or a small nut on the decklid side. The other side slips under the window, and forms a nice U shaped chanel for the water to bybass or run off. It is very flexible and should last a long time. I have a set of Darrel Morse powder coated silver stock clips that I was going to use. I think the crome/silver clips would look good with the aluminum edge on the weather strip. Yes it was $25 (at least it was 2 years ago) and that included shipping. There are 3-4 ways to install it. The pics I have only show 1 way. But you don't have to remove the decklid to do it. If you don't have the stock clips, you use a sheet metal scew. You can also use a small screw and a nut if clips are missing. It looks nothing like the stock unit, but should do a better job and won't be very noticable. Instructions are included too!

[This message has been edited by RossT (edited 12-28-2003).]

Denny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyDirect Link to This Post
The guy's name is Mike Freed. Last I heard from Mike, I bought two of the last three of those that he had. Don't know if he had any more made.

Mike's email at the time was Mwfreed1@aol.com, but that was about 4 years ago. I think that is still current, since it's listed on the Space Coast Fiero website ( http://spacecoastfieros.com/ ).

[This message has been edited by Denny (edited 12-28-2003).]

GARY TUCKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GARY TUCKERSend a Private Message to GARY TUCKERDirect Link to This Post
I have seen these listed on e-bay...I think there is a guy making them in small quantities of them and selling them one at a time on e-bay...I have bid on several of them and when they get up around $30.00 I have quit bidding or they have sold while I was at work or something....then about a week later I would see another one by the same fellow for sale again....when he lists it on e-bay he has a picture of in on ground nest to a Fiero and he calls it the Rare recalled weather strip off of Fieros...but I have seen so many of them by the same guy, I figured he was making them beacuse they always have a winning bidder....and the other stuff he is selling he fabricates.

------------------
1988 Gary Tucker (GT)

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2003 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Yeh, thats why I was hoping someone would make them a little more commercially so they wouldn't get to be ludicrisly expensive or hard to find. I sent Mike Freed an email, so I'll let you guys know about that when he writes me back.
RossT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2003 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
Fastback... Let us know what Mike has to say. I know that mine is high quality and will go on my next fiero (if it doesn't have the stock unit). Many of the oem ones on e-bay that I have seen are bent or dinged when taking them off the car.
FormulaGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2003 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaGTSend a Private Message to FormulaGTDirect Link to This Post
I was able to get one for my GT from Kick Hill Farm for $25.00 shipped. I got lucky when I found one for my Formula at a Pick your Part for $2.00 This is a must have for the weather element challenged Fiero. Good luck people!
PFF
System Bot
FieroMGDriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2003 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMGDriverSend a Private Message to FieroMGDriverDirect Link to This Post
Ha, ha. I have all the original clips on my 87 GT, but no weather strip. I always wondered how a weather strip preventing water from entering the engine bay could promote fire. I guess if your front manifold were on fire and it was raining outside, you could open your decklid really fast and extinguish the flames. I removed some of the clips to save my arm when changing the spark plugs. I think that flexible strip you have pictured above is the perfect solution.
derangedsheep

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2003 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for derangedsheepSend a Private Message to derangedsheepDirect Link to This Post
does anyone have good pics that show all angles of the factory strip? i was thinking we could maybe use one of those strips that you put on the bottom of a door to keep the air out, heres a pic on my front door. it sticks out about 1/8" from the door, maybe less

and a close up of the edge

Bradbitz11

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2003 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradbitz11Send a Private Message to Bradbitz11Direct Link to This Post
Anybody have pics of a stock one installed from above and below? I just bought one from Electrathon, and don't think I've ever seen a pic of one installed.

------------------

86 GT -- All Options except Performance Sound

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2003 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
UPDATE: I emailed Mike Freed and he has some of the weather his weather strips, pics of which have already been posted, in stock and is still selling them for $25 shipped. He said for anyone interested to contact him at mwfreed1@aol.com I'm mailing payment for mine tomarrow

I tried something like the door strip and it didn't really work at all. The factory strip attached to both the decklid and to the firewall, so the water HAD to go off to the sides.

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2003 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
Here is an end view of the weatherstrip.

It attaches only to the lid, not to the body. If you open the trunk it will creat a gap when opened. The other one in the pic would trap crud and have to be cleaned. It is a more positive seal, but definatly higher maintiance. It is totally differant in appearance that the factory one too, if that is an issue.
2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2003 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post

------------------

88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/Sun Roof/ Wing/Sub-Woofer/w-EQ/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Options Ex.T-Tops - Mores Pix //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/031475.html
*** *** *** "If you appreciate my contribution,..please rate me, Thanks" *** *** ***

Bradbitz11

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2003 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradbitz11Send a Private Message to Bradbitz11Direct Link to This Post
Sweet. Thanks.
Denny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2003 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyDirect Link to This Post
Mike Freed's design keeps you from dumping accumulated water on your exhaust and spark plugs when you open the decklid. And any accumulated crud (leaves, dirt) gets washed out when you wash the car.
jtiger186

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2003 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jtiger186Send a Private Message to jtiger186Direct Link to This Post
Thanks,

Sent for mine today

------------------
JTIGER186

84 SE Parts car
85 SE
86 2M4 In progress

AIM: jtiger186186

jtiger186

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jtiger186Send a Private Message to jtiger186Direct Link to This Post
Must say that Mike Freed is a great guy to deal with. Received mine the other day and it is well made and has great instructions with it. Now if I can find the time to put it on

Gary

jtiger186

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock