Started on: 08-03-2003 02:59 AM
Replies: 24
Last post by: fiero go fast on 08-09-2003 02:31 PM
fiero go fast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 02:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Well I got Riceburners HUD today. It came complete with instructions and everything needed to get it installed if you weren't soldering it. The instructions are very well written and self explanitory.

So far the HUD itself is great. It fits directly behind the gauge pod and doesn't even need to be secured in (doesn't slide around at all). It in my opinion was a 55 bucks well spent and I'm very impressed with the quality of everything. I give a plus to Rice, and recommend him to anyone who wants HUD. Its worth every penny.

Also... for those of you who bought it. While installing it, the instructions say to splice a yellow wire in with a dark green/white wire. Well in my case for some reason there was no dark green/white wire. If this is also true for you, the gray one is the one to splice into. If anyone needs or wants pictures, I took some.

Matt

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
cool, thanks on the heads up for those of those that are planning to buy one but haven't got off our a$$es yet.

Kruz

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Send me some pictures of it installed and such. I want to see, and I'll post them for you!

------------------
James Essar
88 Coupe 3.2L V6 With NX Nitrous

60* V6 Power! Bring it V8's
SAVE THE SHAUN

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

Send me some pictures of it installed and such. I want to see, and I'll post them for you!

I'll post pictures in the morning, I need to download them off of my camera.

Matt

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Oh sure, make me wait! LOL. Ok, thats cool. Cant wait to see it.
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
I got mine today too. If I put mine snug into the pod, I can't see the top LED. I had to elevate it about 3/4" to see the whole thing. I've already emailed Bob (riceburner) and given him pics, he's going to see what he can figure out. If I rotate mine 180 degrees the number show fine, just upside down. If he can get the LED outputs flipped around, it should work perfectly without being raised up.

fiero go fast - Can you see the complete digits, or did you have the same thing?

I used the T-taps (scotch-locks) for a quick install, and it really was quick, only took me about six or seven minutes from the time I finished reading the directions to the time I was done putting my tools away!

A view with the flash on
What it looks like at night
My temporary "wedge"

Heh, my wedge is just some receipts I had in my wallet. Tomorrow I'm going to find a better wedge and fiddle around with other possible locations.

Overall, I think it's worth the cash because even if somebody had instructions on the net, it would take a while to build the unit. It's good bang for your buck and a fun toy! One more added benefit is that I'm 95% sure it's almost perfectly at actual speed, while my stock speedo is about +4-5% off. I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I drive through the speed indicators through the construction zone!

Bryce
88 GT

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nashco:

fiero go fast - Can you see the complete digits, or did you have the same thing?

That's weird because I just sat mine in there and I can see all the digits clearly.

I think I'm going to need to lengthen the tach wire to get it over to the other plug to connect it.

I also now know my speedo is right on. I really love it.

Edit: After look at your pictures I realized I have my box over more so its actually just sitting behind the gauge pod. I just finished it, got excited and layed it in the back and tried it out.

[This message has been edited by fiero go fast (edited 08-03-2003).]

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Good to hear the comments! I don't / didn't have a working Fiero dashboard at the time when I was working on the wires, so I tried to guess thier length.. (I now have all the plastic parts to test-fit into my own car, but the wires are all modified...) From the sounds of it I need to make the tach. wire longer.. Out of curiousity - if you did / do connect the tach wire, does it do anything funny to the Fiero tach? It shouldn't, by design, but like I said I never installed one in a working Fiero, so I wasn't 100% sure.. Oh yeah - the wiring colors came out of an '87 service manual, so they may be different for other years. The position should be the same though.. There definitly could be a few changes, like longer power supply wires, and a shorter black wire (with the plug), and probably masking the lense so you can't see the circuit.. But it's good to hear that it went so easily and that you like it!! Thanks!!!

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 Mutt, a work in progress! (Got my 3800SC, installation in super-slow-motion progress. Only a Miracle will get me to the 20th in my Fiero now. Or a time machine...)

FieroJuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJuiceSend a Private Message to FieroJuiceDirect Link to This Post
Ok, so I'm about a HUD unit is. Please help a mechanically challenged brother out. Thanks.

------------------

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Rice- Yeah the tach wire isn't quite long enough. So I didn't bother hooking it up, I was just going to wait until I get the actual tach HUD. But if you'd like I can hook it up today to see what it does. I also thing the circuit part looks kinda cool lol =). I was wondering, will the sun hurt any of this stuff over extended periods of time? All in all, that are great and I'm definitely getting a tach when you start them.

FieroJuice- HUD stands for Heads Up Display. It uses bright LED's or a bright picture to reflect off of glass. So for instance rice has made speedo HUD. When in and working it reflects your speed off the windshield so you don't need to look at the actually speedometer. If I totally confused you just go here and you will get the idea. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/024240.html

Matt

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
anyone know if these are going to be limited? I would like to buy one later.. can't currently at this moment though
PFF
System Bot
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure. He said he was going to sell them to whoever wanted them on PFF. Then he was going to start selling them on ebay for a higher price since they will work in other cars.

Matt

FieroJuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJuiceSend a Private Message to FieroJuiceDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Matt, that explanation and link helped.
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
So has anyone tested them in the daylight yet??? I know they work at night, but how do they look with light pouring in?? I really really really wish I had my Fiero running!!! (and if you get a chance, I'd love to hear that the tach wire doesn't do anything bad to the tach! ) It realliy shouldn't, but ya never know... And nope, the sun shouldn't do anything to the stuff on the inside.. Only bad thing would be if there were a UV-light eraseable microprocessor, but there isn't.. Just some people aren't going to want to see the circuit.. I think I'll have some vinyl cut at a shop, and ask if people want it installed at the time of purchase. Thanks guys!!

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 Mutt, a work in progress! (Got my 3800SC, installation in super-slow-motion progress. Only a Miracle will get me to the 20th in my Fiero now. Or a time machine...)

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riceburner98:
and if you get a chance, I'd love to hear that the tach wire doesn't do anything bad to the tach!

Sounds promising. LoL. I'm just kidding.

Kruz

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Well, just tested it out in the daylight, and when the sunlight is pouring in, you can see the reflection of the box, but not the actual led's. Although when you drive under a shadey area or drive under a tree you can faintly see the numbers. I'm not complaining, I love it =). Alright well I'll hook up the tack when I'm done work and let you know if it affects anything.

Matt

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
So... got these in Green and/or Blue yet?

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 08-04-2003).]

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
LOL... Yeah.. The tach thing should be no problem.. And yep, green and blue are working! - Bob <<<<Edit: If anyone PM'd me from this post, or any others.. Can you send another?? As noted in my other post in General Chat, I somehow wiped out all my PM's except for the 4 oldest.. From like April... Argh... >>>>

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 08-04-2003).]

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
The HUD is practically impossible to see in full daylight, but from dusk till dawn it's a sweet toy! Right when I think I'm finally getting my list of things to tinker with smaller, Bob makes me add a few more!

Bryce
88 GT

Paul Taylor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul TaylorClick Here to visit Paul Taylor's HomePageSend a Private Message to Paul TaylorDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here are the pic of mine installed.
No pics of it working as it is really sunny, so impossible to see the LEDS. But its great in the evening !.

Great job Riceburner.
PS: For those of you with 85's. The Green/White wire (Speed Signal) that Riceburner refers to. Does not exist. It is a Yelloe colour instead. Therefore the Yellow wire in Riceburners Kit goes to the Yellow wire on the C1 connector.

Edit.
I have now added some black insulation tape to the front cover on the display. Mainly to hide the reflection from the PCB on the Windscreen.

------------------
Regards,

Paul Taylor, England.
85 GT Notchback, 2.8 V6, 4 speed manual. Custom made Tubular branch exhaust manifolds with true twin 3in exhaust system. No CAT, No EGR. No Crossover pipe. ADS Road Race SuperChip & 160 deg stat. Poly bushes all round. Lowered 2 inches. 16" alloys with 225/45 rubber. 0-60mph in 5.5 sec.

www.fieroforum.co.uk/Paul85gt.htm

[This message has been edited by Paul Taylor (edited 08-09-2003).]

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Doh! I'm now having some black vinyl cut in a "U" shape, that sticks on the inside of the lense, to hide that part from view.. Unfortunately I didn't think of it in the first place, because I'm one of those people that likes to see inside everything.. (I don't think I own one thing that I haven't taken apart!!) Good to see it installed though! What did you do with the wire / jack? Did you drill a hole in the back of the cluster, or leave it on the outside? Just want to get some feedback on that. I've already lengthened the wires a bit, to reach inside the cluster better...
PFF
System Bot
Paul Taylor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul TaylorClick Here to visit Paul Taylor's HomePageSend a Private Message to Paul TaylorDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rice, just sent you a PM.

Paul Taylor. UK

turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a cool winter-project idea. Maybe I'll do this along with the DDL.
Send me some pics plz if you don't mind.
Thx!
jturbo86se@aol.com
linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
You guys stop it. I want a Hud so bad, but need other items at this time so I can't spare the $$. I see 3 options.

1. You guys can let this thread drop off.
2. I can quit coming here until I can afford one.
3. I go Insane from desire becuase I can't keep my mind off it.

Hmmm I bet we go with #3.

------------------

Fiero 20th Anniversary Pictures
My Black 88 GT

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
You better believe its number 3 =). Its all part of having a fiero.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock