Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Made an ALDL interface cable (total 212k of pics)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Made an ALDL interface cable (total 212k of pics) by JazzMan
Started on: 07-04-2003 10:30 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: FieroLT1 on 07-08-2003 07:24 AM
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2003 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Schematics from the WinALDL site, modified to add an LED (I like blinky lights ).

Step one, clean the board with a Scotchbrite and then wipe it down with acetone:

Then start laying out solder pads for ALDL terminals. Turns out that a plain old Sharpie permanent marker has enough plastic solids in it to use as an etch resist pen, for a fraction of the price that Rat Shack charges:

Finished the artwork:

Cut the board out to size:

Pour in the trusty ferric chloride from Rat Shack:

(more to follow)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2003 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
In with the old:

Out with the new:

Drill some holes:

Make some terminals from some copper sheet:

Stuff the terminals into the spare ALDL connector I had handy to hold alignment, then solder them to the board:

Build the interface end with a 2N2222 transistor and a 10k resistor:

(more to follow)

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2003 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003
Add two resistors and a green LED to the board end, then connect the cable (old mouse cord):

All done:

Tried it out, works like a champ:

Sharp eyed readers will note the extra terminal, that is for future use when I build an ALDL cable to interface with the 8192 baud ECMs used in the 87-88 DIS Fieros.

Hope y'all found this entertaining!

JazzMan

Gordo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2003 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I'll give ya a "+"
Coop9200

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2003 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Coop9200Click Here to visit Coop9200's HomePageSend a Private Message to Coop9200Direct Link to This Post
that is pretty awesome...i need to learn how to make some simple boards like that...very cool once again.

-Coop

------------------

" -Hey mom, can i get some ice cream?
-No Dice
-This aint Ova"

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-04-2003 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Coop9200:

that is pretty awesome...i need to learn how to make some simple boards like that...very cool once again.

-Coop

It's really much easier than it looks. I've made much more complicated boards as well, using tricks like laserprinting the circuit design onto a peeled sheet of laser labels (the backing is heat resistant) then ironing the toner onto the copper board. The toner is plastic, so it acts as an etch-resist. As you can see from my images, low-tech is definitely easy to do. BTW, this whole project cost me less than $5, and if I could get the boards mass-produced would probably run less than $10 to build.

JazzMan

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2003 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
Whats the point of the Resisters? I don't realy know. I realy want to do this. I'm having some trouble with my car.
Shadow_Wolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2003 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow_WolfSend a Private Message to Shadow_WolfDirect Link to This Post
I built the cable to spec but wasn't receiving any data... Used +12V from the cigarette lighter
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2003 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Schweet!
87/88 ALDL would be great but it is a tad more complicated that this one.
fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2003 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post
i guess im the slow one of the bunch, but how does that work? what does it do? i don't get how sticking that in reads the codes.
only way i knew of was grounding it and watching the blinking light, or a code reader, does this replace a code reader? and if so what do you plug it into? cool project though, i need to learn about sometime
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2003 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Oops! I forgot to mention what this cable does. It is for connecting my laptop to my ECM's ALDL connector. I run WinALDL on my laptop, and it displays on the laptop the info that the ECM sends out via the ALDL connector.

A brief description of the ALDL is in order. ALDL stands for Assembly Line Diagnostic Link, and was used on the assembly line to make sure the engine was working properly. The connector is located under the plate that holds the cigarette lighter in place. There are two ways to use the ALDL. One way is to short the mode terminal to ground. This causes the ECM to flash any stored trouble codes on the Check Engine Light (CEL) when the key is in RUN and the engine is off. Turning on the engine with the terminal grounded causes the ECM to flash the CEL on for rich and off for lean, so you can watch the flashing and get a feel for what the ECM is seeing from the O2 sensor.

The second way to use the ALDL is to hook a scan tool to it, or in my case a laptop set up as a scan tool using software. Now, to use a laptop (or PC for that matter) you have to covert the voltage signal from the ALDL connector to one that can be understood by the laptop's serial port hardware. That's where the 2N2222 transister and 10K Ohm resister in the interface end of my cable come into play. The WinALDL software site has the schematic that I used. Once you convert the voltage, then you have to tell the ECM to send data to the terminal in the ALDL connector. You do that by putting a 10K Ohm resistor across the mode and ground terminals (the ones you shorted to get the codes on the CEL before). That's what one of the resistors does on the board that I made. The other resistor on the board simply drops the 12 volts of the data terminal down for the green LED I use as an activity indicator. The LED is not needed for the interface to work, I just like blinky lights.

Here's the WinALDL site: http://w1.601.telia.com/~u60113744/software/winaldl/winaldl.htm

If you click on the link for instructions for building an interface cable you get two schematics. I built the one powered off of the DTR pin, and modified it by putting the 10K mode resistor on the board instead of in the connector backshell, and added the blinky light. Did I mention that I like blinky lights?

If anyone wants more help on building any aspect of this cable, let me know and I'll see if I can get more detailed pics and instructions posted.

JazzMan

PFF
System Bot
summerjim

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2003 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post
What kind of board did you start with... something from Rat Shack?
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2003 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by summerjim:

What kind of board did you start with... something from Rat Shack?

Just a generic piece of single-sided .06" board I had laying around in my junk pile. It may have come from Rat Shack, or it may have come from a garage sale.

I wouldn't recommend using .03" board as it may be a little flimsy, plus it's harder to get unless you happen to have some laying around.

JazzMan

GOLDSE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2003 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GOLDSESend a Private Message to GOLDSEDirect Link to This Post
What purpose does the blinky light serve? Just a visible indicator to know the cable works? Or does it blink the code?
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2003 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Never seen that done, but was curious about making your own boards. Good Stuff!
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2003 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Nice work, great pics!

nice drill

very cool.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2003 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
What you need to do is cut the cord about 3" from the aldl board. Then solder on a headphone female plug. Drill a small hole, mount it in the cig. bezel. Solder the male connector on the other end, and voila, now you don't have to remove the cig. bezel each time...

------------------

--1986 SE V6, Wild Custom Notchback
--1984 SE Modified Notchback

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2003 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Jncomutt

8899 posts
Member since Apr 2001

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 07-07-2003).]

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2003 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GOLDSE:

What purpose does the blinky light serve? Just a visible indicator to know the cable works? Or does it blink the code?

It actually blinks on and off with the data stream. I don't really use it for anything but eye candy, but it would come in handy for diagnosing why the interface might not be working by showing whether data was present or not.

JazzMan

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2003 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

What you need to do is cut the cord about 3" from the aldl board. Then solder on a headphone female plug. Drill a small hole, mount it in the cig. bezel. Solder the male connector on the other end, and voila, now you don't have to remove the cig. bezel each time...

I saw Jeffry's cable and jack arrangment a while back. I don't like drilling holes in my car, but in any case I haven't bothered putting the lighter plate back in since I finished overhauling my engine last August.

Also, I've got several cars, so the drill approach would mean fabricating many more boards.

BTW, nice Libretto. Around here those still sell for over $300-400, which for a 486 is just plain stupid. That's why I won't get one. If I can find someone to help me with my Newton 2k I'd like to create a version of WinALDL for it.

JazzMan

(someday I'll learn myself how to speel)
[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 07-08-2003).]

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 07-09-2003).]

FieroLT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLT1Click Here to visit FieroLT1's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLT1Direct Link to This Post
Very nice and cost effective!
I think I paid about $90 for my cable.
This brings back memories from my old thread here:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030204-1-022040.html

------------------

Winston Ojeda
88 Fiero Formula LT1
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
http://www.FieroLT1.com
Home of the Fiero LT1

PFF