Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Will this CD changer work with my Monsoon?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Will this CD changer work with my Monsoon? by JazzMan
Started on: 08-28-2003 10:34 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: jscott1 on 08-30-2003 09:19 PM
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post08-28-2003 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
(edit to add more info)

Ok, this unit appears to be a DELCO rebadged Pioneer changer. I can't find any info at all on it anywhere on the net. FWIW, it's a CDX-M12.

Here's a pic of the data label on the back. It's a 12 disk changer, I didn't get the harness with it, so I'll need wiring info for it as well since I'd rather fabricate a harness instead of buy one. The Monsoon is a 2002 model with EQ and single disc CD.

JazzMan

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 08-30-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2003 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Dunno. If you monsoon has cd changer controls built into it from GM then it should. You'll have to get the cable that goes between the Monsoon stereo and the changer still. Hope this helps somewhat!
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-28-2003 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I know the Monsoon has the connector on the back for use with a changer. I remember Skitime saying that the 6 and 12 disc changers would work, but not the 10 disc. I got this one for pretty cheap at a garage sale, took it apart and it looks clean inside. If it'll work, then I'll invest the time and effort to fabricate the harness, since I doubt GM would sell it for the $20 max that I'd be willing to pay for one from them. I can get connectors from the wrecking yard for next to nothing, and the rest is easy wiring.

JazzMan

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2003 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I wonder if you could get the harness from a yard? It looks alot like a S-video cable, and is run seperate from the regular wire harness. I've un-installed them at work before for customers who didnt want them. But you're right, GM would want a fortune for the cable I'm sure.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Check ebay...there's almost always a bunch of the 9 pin harnesses for sale there. I've seen a lot of them with a "Buy It Now" price of $25. However, make sure it's the right length...they DO come in different lengths. JazzMan, check to make sure there's a separate 9 pin female connector on the back of your head unit, and also a matching one on the deck. If so, then you're PROBABLY good to go...but GM does some funny things sometimes.. I kinda went the other way...I bought one of kru's UP3 CD Players here on the Forum, then bought a slave cassette player on eBay. As soon as I figure out how and where to mount the cassette deck, I'll be able to enjoy listening to BOTH formats..

------------------

Mike...86 GT 4 Speed
"Sucks to be me..."

[This message has been edited by litespd (edited 08-29-2003).]

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2003 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
My radio has the separate connector for hooking up a CD changer, it looks like this one that Skitime posted a while back:

The plug on the changer looks exactly like the right-hand plug on the radio, the one where power and speaker connectors go. Did I buy a changer that won't work? Does anyone have experience with GM changers?

Here's a pic of the connector on my changer:

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

JazzMan

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I used to own one of those Delco changers in my Trans Am and I'm pretty sure they were rebadged Kenwoods, and mine was a 12 disk.

You shouldn't have any problem controlling it with a 2002 Delco radio. There were some strange head units in the 90s that would only talk to external cassette units and the like. The later ones could control changers.

The wiring was built into all the f-bodys whether you got the changer or not, so the factory service manual describes the wiring.

According to my 98 f-body book there are 9 pins (7-15)
7-8 not used
9 drain wire
10 right audio
11 left audio
12 audio return
13 ground
14 system power
15 not used

My plan was to tap into that 9 pin connector on the radio and use it as an aux input for my DVD. I never was able to figure out how to do that on my own, but I found an adapter designed to do that, and it works.

I hope this helps.

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

1988 GT (Firebird Interior)
1988 Coupe (Daily Driver),
1985 SE (Project Car) Recent Addition
1985 Coupe (parts car)
Firebird Interior Installation Thread

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2003 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Thank you!

I did confirm it's a Pioneer changer. Pioneer has no info on it at all, though I did find a few websites that would sell me a service manual for it. The connector looks like the same as the radio connector, so I'll grab one of those from the yard tomorrow and rig up a cable. I hope that it works, I hate buying electronics without being able to test them first, which is why I didn't want to plunk down the money for the harness as well. I don't know what changer Skitime had, but it's newer looking than mine.

You wouldn't happen to know which way the pin numbering goes, would you?

JazzMan

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Thank you!

I did confirm it's a Pioneer changer.

JazzMan

Pioneer did some strange things with changers in the 90s...they had a 6 disk and 12 disk and even an 18 disk, (one of which I still have today) but then switched over to a completely different magazine that was a little more compact. the Delco must be one of the later Pioneer styles.

Good luck with your changer but the first thing you will notice is that the changer connector has 10 pins and the radio only has 9. I can't imagine why, but that's normal. When you are looking at the face of the connector (unmated) 7 is on the right and 15 is on the left.

If you give up and decide to buy the cable this is where I got mine:
www.LOGJAMELECTRONICS.COM

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 08-30-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock