Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Explaining CFOGi to those who don't already know us (a little long)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Explaining CFOGi to those who don't already know us (a little long) by CFOG-International
Started on: 08-18-2003 09:40 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: cadero2dmax on 08-23-2003 03:15 PM
CFOG-International

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CFOG-InternationalClick Here to visit CFOG-International's HomePageSend a Private Message to CFOG-InternationalDirect Link to This Post
With the success of the 20th anniversary event, also the realization of the Performance Division’s potential, the first club elections coming up, and soon to have 2 years behind us, this seems to be a proper time to invite you to join CFOGi.

We’re not perfect, there have been some rough times, and we have made some mistakes. But the desire to do the right thing is still what drives us. The fact that we have less than 200 active members tells me a lot of you don’t understand what this club is about. So this is not to announce some cheesy membership drive, or a discount on dues. I’m just bringing you information.

This is not about money. In fact, I had wanted membership to be ridiculously cheap if not free, but life’s realities caused us to set a minimum of $25 for annual dues. And until the new downloadable “e-zine”, most of the dues were going to newsletter printing & mailing. Many of the few promotional materials we have were made possible by the sacrifice of our staff. Banners, hats, signs, buttons, event materials… made possible by the generosity of individuals on the Board who believe in CFOGi. We’re not here to get something from you; we’re here to bring something to you.

It’s not about a big event once a year. When we put on a large event, we intend to do it right, but a major annual event is not at the top of our priorities. If you think that’s all we are here for, you simply don’t understand our purpose.

We’re not here to replace the local clubs, Pennock’s forum, or any email group. We want to do whatever we can to help the local clubs, not to divide them. Just this week, we began hosting an email list for the club presidents and various leaders, for the purpose of sharing ideas and information. PFF and the e-groups are invaluable communication tools. We have a banner ad on PFF, and one of our Directors is co-moderator of the big Fiero Yahoo group. CFOGi is not another communication medium; rather, we support the ones that already exist.

If your question is “what’s in it for me”, then you’re missing something, and CFOGi’s purpose is unknown to you. The question should be, “what’s in it for all of us”, because that’s what we’re after: the prosperity and promotion of the community.

The motto I use to describe CFOGi’s purpose is “to unite and represent”. To unite means to serve all the different types of Fiero owners. Whether you’re into the shows, or you like to customize & modify, or you’re fixing & selling, collecting, racing, building a rebody, or even if you’re struggling to keep your car on the road, there should be a nucleus at the center of this community. What do I mean by “represent”? Let's say you're an outsider, knowing nothing about Fieros or the people who have them. When you think of Fiero enthusiasts, would you expect them to be organized and working in cooperation with each other? Or would you be surprised to discover that they are just a rag-tag bunch with no plan for what they're doing, no concern for what others think about Fieros, and no thought for ensuring the future enjoyment of their cars? Here is a car that was only made for 5 years, yet it was not cancelled because of anything wrong with it! Only 370,000 were made. It was, and still is, an affordable way to have a sporty car with excellent handling, surprising interior room, timeless style, and which is easy to customize. We know that the public's perception of Fieros is full of myth and mystery, yet we show little cooperation amongst ourselves! Representation is displaying our unity. If I were back on the outside looking in, that's the least I would expect from the dedicated owners of a fine automobile. A global club puts a face and a name to the entire body. It combines our separate voices into one. And in reverse, when a company or group wants to contact all Fiero owners, they can know whom to address. Representation is also looking for opportunities to reach out to the other types of car clubs & enthusiasts. For example, we are inviting owners of all two-seater automobiles to a show-n-shine at the annual state gathering of twins in Texas (if successful, I hope to do it at their national meet in Twinsburg, Ohio). And we promote the Indy GTO Association’s Day at the Track at the Indy Speedway. We are looking for ways to be more visible, and to encourage people to talk with us and learn about our cars.

Is it possible you don’t know how we operate? Our Board is made up of Directors from the various regions, each given authority to appoint Deputy Directors. There are the offices of Treasurer, Secretary, Webmaster, P.R. Director and Editor. The Vice President mostly handles “internal” issues, while the President mostly handles “external” issues. Additionally, there are currently two specialty divisions: Performance and Kit Car/Rebody, each led by a Director. All of those Board members contribute equally in the decisions of the club. There are plans for other new positions, as well as the desire to segregate certain functions among committees. The opportunities for participation are many, but the problem has been to find enough dedicated people who will do what they say they’ll do, and communicate the status of their assignment to the rest of us. We have too few people doing too much of the work. It takes a lot of communication – daily – to make the wheels turn in an organization like CFOGi.

The Members Only section of our website includes a forum for conducting club business by way of polls, discussions and announcements. We have a quarterly newsletter available as an e-zine, and a black & white hardcopy will be mailed to those who request it. BTW, we are currently in need of someone to assemble the articles & photos ("layout"). Plus, nearly weekly I send an email to inform all members of the latest developments.

And have you noticed that we aren’t only serving the members of our club? Besides the email group for club presidents, we are hosting a contact list of all Fiero clubs on a web page available to everyone. Our events calendar is available to everyone, not just to read, but also to submit your own events. We’ll provide a free link to your business or whatever, regardless if you're a member.

Have you noticed that we have no ads on our website or in our newsletters? It’s not that we refuse them; we have just been too busy to seek such business partnerships. Plus, we need people on our Board who have the right contacts, and who know how to negotiate and make the arrangements. The point is: we have done so much in two years without sponsorship or corporate support! Imagine what we could do if we had that kind of assistance.

So, we’re not just looking for you to be a member, handing over your dues. We’re hoping you will volunteer your experience, talents & abilities. Help us be more productive and efficient. Help us with new ideas. Help us find ways to unite & represent the Fiero owners overseas. Help us get to the next level, so that by this time next year, the state of our community will be surprisingly different, more like a big, happy family. Did you like what you saw at the 20th anniversary? That could be the just the beginning of what is possible.

Some of you think we will be here, doing what we do, whether you join or not. But we can’t do squat without peoples’ commitment. And yours is needed. Please don’t relegate us to only being here for putting on a “national” event. We want to be here for everything you can imagine, that isn't already being done by PFF or your local club.
http://www.cfogi.org/application.htm

Chuck Hodges
CFOGI president

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
Good writeup, I am proud to be a member. How can I find out when my annual dues are due again? Also you have an email and a PM. (they say the same thing)

Cory

------------------

88 GT 5sp Professionally built 3.2
-New crankshaft from GM Performance -New TRW hypereutectic pistons 9:1 compression ratio
-Fully balanced rotating assembly -GM Performance cam (.454 gross lift) -GM Performance valve springs
-Ported and polished heads -Gasket matched intake and exhaust manifolds -Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
-K&N air filter element -Full poly bushings -SensaTracks on rear and KYB heavy duty on front
-Lowered 1.5 inches -Short Shifter
88 GT auto fully stock and looking good. Low miles.
84 SE 4 Speed, Daily Driver.

2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleDirect Link to This Post
Cory ... you will be sent a reminder once your dues are due. Thanks for your membership in our club !!

I know that I, too, am proud to be one of the founders and members of CFOGi. It has been a long uphill battle but here we are !!!!

I know that many of you took a "wait and see" stance about CFOGi upon our inception .... well we feel we have showed our potential. We have put out some nice newsletters ... developed an ezine ... we have a nice website ... and we have thrown one hec of a show (the 20th) with the help of our co-host MFC !!! Help us move to the next level !!! I can envision our club being up there with the likes of the BMW club, the Corvette club and POCI .... but we won't get there without YOU .... the Fiero owners and lovers !

Dale Starcher
VP, CFOGi www.cfogi.org

[This message has been edited by 2M4 Dale (edited 08-18-2003).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

How can I find out when my annual dues are due again?

An updated spreadsheet of membership information is sent monthly to every Officer & Director, so your regional Director would be a good first place to ask. But anyone on the staff should be able to answer that for you... http://www.cfogi.org/personnel.htm

I will find my copy and send you that information in a few minutes.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Cheever3000

12398 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by 2M4 Dale:

... and we have thrown one hec of a show (the 20th) with the help of our co-host MFC !!!

Yes, I didn't intend for CFOGi to take all the credit for the 20th. Some MFC people sacrificed a LOT of time and effort over the course of an entire year to make it happen.

Ancaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AncasterSend a Private Message to AncasterDirect Link to This Post
I'am still fairly new But Lovethe way CFOG-i operates since there are no close Clubs to join in on CFOG-i helps me feel more part of a communty and share my Ideas and input.
Every question and concern I have ever had has been Answered Abruptly and precisely with what information the directors have avlible to them.

I want to once again thank all in CFOG-i your warmth adn friendship thru emails and personal meeting has touched my heart adn made me A better fiero person 8)

FieroJuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJuiceSend a Private Message to FieroJuiceDirect Link to This Post
I agree, good write-up. It even motivated me to join
Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ancaster:

Every question and concern I have ever had has been Answered Abruptly and precisely with what information the directors have avlible to them.

LOL!! Max - I know what you are saying, but "abruptly" isn't the right word. No Director should ever be "abrupt" with their membership.

Thank you for the kind words nonetheless!

------------------

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
I plan on joining soon (as long as I get a cool sticker to put on my Fiero)
You say it's only $25 a year for dues? That's like $2 a month! I can handle that

------------------

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2003 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm joining once I get the money.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
Best Fiero related move I have made in a long time! I have enjoyed meeting everyone and as many have said, "I feel more apart of the Fiero community." CFOG-i has a great thing started here and it can only get better. I am looking forward to many years of membership. Can we pay dues for more than one year at a time?

------------------
Paul Hosler
- Silver '87 GT Daily diver.
- Modified IMSA Tube chassis racecar (in progress)

PFF
System Bot
72vinman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 72vinmanSend a Private Message to 72vinmanDirect Link to This Post
Chuck & Dale, I sent you guys an email. Not sure if you got it.

------------------

CFOGi | GTA Fiero Club

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2003 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
And a bump to keep this fresh...it's important information...
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2003 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
I love the way CFOG-i think's about ALL Fiero owner's... I am a member and WILL be renewing my dues in a few month's. They TRY to do thing's the right way, which you normally don't see in a INTERNATIONAL club or organization's. They are the FUTURE for the real Fiero enthusiast.
I see that we need some people to step up to the plate in Canada and through out the world.
Look at the opening's and see if maybe you want to be a LEADER of the Fiero owner's in your part of the world....

International Directors
REGION 9 - Eastern Canada
Regional Director Open (please apply)

REGION 10 - Central Canada
Regional Director Vince Ferlisi Brampton, ON 905-789-0214 Email

REGION 11 - Western Canada

REGION 12 - Mexico

REGION 13 - Europe

REGION 14 - Asia

REGION 15 - Australia

REGION 16 - South America

REGION 17 - Africa

Thank you Chuck and IF I ever run for the Presidency, Will you write me speech's??

Steve
SmoothGT!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Smoooooth GT (edited 08-22-2003).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2003 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
How many members does CFOG-I currently have?
Is the memberlist current on CFOG-I's website?
Are some by their own choice intentionally not shown?
Thanks
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2003 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

How many members does CFOG-I currently have?
Is the memberlist current on CFOG-I's website?
Are some by their own choice intentionally not shown?

We once hit the 200 mark, but then some did not renew, and we must be around 175 active members now (an update will be done at the end of the month).

We TRY to keep the posted member list updated, but that's not easy.

I don't know of anyone asking to keep their name off that posted list, but that may be because it's in the Members Only section.

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2003 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post
I must apologize for the Performance Division, we haven't been to awfully responsive since the 20th.

I have had back problems (you may have seen me limping around Waterford, Milan, or the hotel - -). I was scheduled for surgery today, but that was moved to Monday morning. In any case, it hurts to sit at my computer for more than a few minutes. So I have been quiet and unresponsive to members. I hope to spend a little time at the computer through the weekend, catching up on e-mails and such, but no promises.

I have already researched a site for next years road course, drag race, and definitely autocross. Plus the show, of course, and a host of other activities. John Stricker and I spent this past Monday at the proposed site, Eric Schneck (Boomtastic) was to join us but his flight was overbooked - - something about a blackout or something

So I have been working for you, just not communicative. Please be patient with me for the next 2 or 3 weeks, and I will be back in form and ready to go racin'!!

------------------
George Ryan
Performance Director
CFOG-I

WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2003 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJuice:

I agree, good write-up. It even motivated me to join

DITTO!

cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2003 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post
If you go to the CFOGi website, and look in the members section forum, you will get some insight (at least some hints) about what's up for next year - - -

------------------
George Ryan
Performance Director
CFOG-I

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock