Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  '01 Pontiac GT Interior Swap!!!! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
'01 Pontiac GT Interior Swap!!!! by 2Fast_Fiero
Started on: 07-23-2003 06:59 PM
Replies: 64
Last post by: mrfixit58 on 07-28-2003 06:35 PM
2Fast_Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2003 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post

After some research and measuring I found my Interior. Why I choose the 99+ Pontiac Grand Am GT Interior? Well I'm replacing my tail lights with Pisa's GTFB Tail Light Unit with custom tail lights, I'm also wanting these sertain headlights found in this thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/031793.html
So everything is going round. The Grand Am Interior matches everything PERFECTLY.
I did some measureing and found out that the new GRAND AM dash is kind of tall, Meaning I can't use the Grand Am's Center Console for nothing would fit right. I'm gonna have to make my own custom center console just to make things fit right. The Grand AM doors are about an inch shorter then the F-Body. So with luck, there wont be much customizing.
I Called a few places and every place I called was pricy (NOT Compared to an Aftermarket DASH tho). Every place I called priced everything (Dash Pad, Dash, 2 Door Panels, Guage Cluster) varying from $750 - $1200. One place I called was a lil cheaper but not by much, Until he told me...
"You know what, I'll give you EVERYTHING for $400."

$400.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

My 85 Fiero On CarDomain.Com
Visit New Mexico Fiero's

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
yashmack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yashmackClick Here to visit yashmack's HomePageSend a Private Message to yashmackDirect Link to This Post
Do It!! cant wait to see it

and of course, we want Pictures! hehehe

that interior should look pretty swank in that car

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2003 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I'll be taking pictures tomorrow. The guy is telling me its in mint condition and its Grey/Black. If its in good condition, then I'm gonna have him hold it for me so I can come back a later time or day with a truck to pick everything up. He's giving me everything seen in the picture except for the Steering Wheel and Radio. The Buttons, AC Controls. If you look right by the Radio, thats where the key hole is...Since ofcource I can't use the Grand Am Key Ignition Switch, I'm gonna install a IGNITED Push Button Starter here.

[This message has been edited by 2Fast_Fiero (edited 07-23-2003).]

yashmack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yashmackClick Here to visit yashmack's HomePageSend a Private Message to yashmackDirect Link to This Post
sounds cool. When you said the center concole wouldnt fit, what were you talking about? the entire peice that runs along your side of the center area where the radio and stuff is. if its just the area with the radio couldnt you just cut and modify the thing to fit? I dont know the measurements, but it looks like you could probably just cut away the area directly belw the AC controls and it would fit...

you probly thought of that but im just curious.

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2003 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
What I meant was. The Fiero's Center is kinda high up. Lets see if I can explain this right. If I were to mount the dash with the GA's Center console, the dash would sit very high up. The center of the Fiero is high. IF you pull your center console apart, there's a little black plastic frame that everything is screwed onto, I'm going to have to remove this plastic peice in order to make the dash sit properly. Its not realy that big of a deal...I'm getting a huge sheet of 3/4" MDF, I'll have enough to make my own custom center console with nothing in the middle except for the Shifter. I promise I'll get pictures, Pictures explain everything much better!
yashmack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yashmackClick Here to visit yashmack's HomePageSend a Private Message to yashmackDirect Link to This Post
I think I understand now, and I can see how it would cause problems, hehe.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
4 Dr. Grand Ams should have shorter doors, compared to the 2 doors. Also, be aware that the instrument cluster, including the digital odometer, is electronic. You're in for some interesting conversion electronics, I believe. But if it works, it'll look great!

The Grand Am uses both a BCM and PCM (Body Control Module and Powertrain Control Module) rather than the Fiero style single ECM for everything. I'm not sure, but I believe all gauge functions are from one of the control modules and none of them are direct sensor feeds. One cool feature is the WOW effect when you start the car, though. All the gauges sweep full scale for a second when the car first starts.

A good source of info would be http://www.grandamgt.com
There's even a tech forum on there staffed by Pontiac engineers to answer your questions. They should be able to help you a lot.

1fiero_nyt
No longer registered
Report this Post07-23-2003 10:33 PM   Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I think 2fast jus wanted have a guage pod that resembles a pair of boobs....lol
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2003 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fiero_nyt:

Yes, it is a very voluptuous dash. I like how they look tho. Wouldnt mind a GA GT dash in my car....

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2003 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post

Now I just need a Dash Bra!

Originaly posted by Formula88:

4 Dr. Grand Ams should have shorter doors, compared to the 2 doors. Also, be aware that the instrument cluster, including the digital odometer, is electronic. You're in for some interesting conversion electronics, I believe. But if it works, it'll look great!

Yea, I found that out by calling a place that specializes in Pontiacs. They told me that the SE's entire guage cluster is Digital. And the GT's is Analog. I wasn't originaly going for the Guage cluster at first, but since he's going to give it to me in a package deal, I'm gonna play around with the Fiero and the Grand Am guage cluster to see what I can come up with. If not, I'm going to go onto my Original Plan and install 2 5" Guages from Autometer. Then I am going to work on my AC to figure out how to get it to push out COLDER air and Faster and re route some of the vent locations so that I can use the 3 Center vents for a dash guage pod. I will relocate the Middle vents to just blow the air down in the bottom. Thanks for that link. I will report back after I have pictures of the exact Dash. I'm also going to measure the sizes of the 2DR and 4DR Door panels to see which one will work better. I think the 4DR Door panels will be to short.

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2003 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post

2Fast_Fiero

1106 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Error - Double Post

[This message has been edited by 2Fast_Fiero (edited 07-24-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2Fast_Fiero:

What I meant was. The Fiero's Center is kinda high up. Lets see if I can explain this right. If I were to mount the dash with the GA's Center console, the dash would sit very high up. The center of the Fiero is high. ...

You may want to grab the console anyway. I didn't think that the Firebird console would work either but, with a little help of a sawzall and a heat gun, it all worked out great.

I simply removed the sides of the Fiero tunnel from the gas tank hump forward to the base of the dash. This made the Fiero's tunnel low enough in the front to allow the console to slide up under the dash.

I trimmed the back half of the console as low as I could and then gently heated the console plastic to allow it to expand around the tunnel and to conform to it's new location. Heat the plastic from the inside so you don't burn the grain pattern. Additionally, be aware of the other plastic around the area that you are heating, it will soften too. I taped a wet rag over the areas I didn't want to soften to prevent distortion.

Here's some more advice. Use a junk donor Fiero to mock everything up. Pull the windshield to gain better access. Extreme modifications to your Fiero (steering column support, tunnel, A/C box, doors) may be required so it's better to use a junker for practice and mock-up.

Even more advice... be sure to grab ALL the pigtails from the donor car that you can like the dash, door panels, and console. You'll need them to wire up the new switches.

Lastly, the digital cluster will not work with the Fiero (as already mentioned). But, there may be enough room in the donor housing to move the Fiero gauges, or any other GM gauge of the 80's era. They all can be hard wired just like the aftermarket gauges. I can help you with some of the details.

Good Luck,

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up
[URL=https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html]
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html
*** UPDATED 1/24/03 ***

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Yea, I found that out by calling a place that specializes in Pontiacs. They told me that the SE's entire guage cluster is Digital. And the GT's is Analog.

That is incorrect! GT's and SE's use the same design. The only real difference is the GT uses a 150 speedo and the SE uses a 120 speedo. It may have been different in earlier models, but not after 99.

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2003 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
mrfixit58, Thanks I'll take you up on that offer. I figure using some Aftermarket guages would look pretty cool like some of the new cars have. I'll try to get the Center console to. I won't be buying it today, hopefuly I'm taking pictures today.
RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
That would look SWEEEET!
Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
So if a guy was running a 3800sc or N* he could use the 01 guages as the ecm should comunicate with the pcm. HVAC controls would still be a problem though.
linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

That is incorrect! GT's and SE's use the same design. The only real difference is the GT uses a 150 speedo and the SE uses a 120 speedo. It may have been different in earlier models, but not after 99.

How about the Alero's (same car diffrent dash) and it's analog.

yashmack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yashmackClick Here to visit yashmack's HomePageSend a Private Message to yashmackDirect Link to This Post
now thats a good question. Wonder if they would work together...

anyway, 2Fast, why not get some digital gauges? the ones wth LED readouts? put em behind some tinted plastic and that would look pretty swank there should be several posts here with info for those guages.

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
I can measure the alero dash if needed.
foxgapfiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for foxgapfieroSend a Private Message to foxgapfieroDirect Link to This Post
I saw one of these dash changes at Carlisle. Looks real good, but they guy that did it said it was a real pain in the Butt. It was in an 86GT.
Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post
That would be me. I would advise you to take more measurements, chiefly between the center line of the steering column and the door. Mine is a '92-'95 dash, but I doubt the basic dimensions of the N body have changed much. If you measure total length of the GA dash, it will look correct, but when you center the GA cluster over the Fiero steering column, the left end of the GA dash will be sticking in the door opening, and there will be a large gap on the passenger side. If you center the dash between the A pillars, the GA center pod will not line up with the Fiero tunnel.

I thought mine would be a drop-in when I got it. I hope you get it worked out.

PFF
System Bot
tomanyfieros

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomanyfierosSend a Private Message to tomanyfierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gary W:

That would be me. I would advise you to take more measurements, chiefly between the center line of the steering column and the door. Mine is a '92-'95 dash, but I doubt the basic dimensions of the N body have changed much. If you measure total length of the GA dash, it will look correct, but when you center the GA cluster over the Fiero steering column, the left end of the GA dash will be sticking in the door opening, and there will be a large gap on the passenger side. If you center the dash between the A pillars, the GA center pod will not line up with the Fiero tunnel.

I thought mine would be a drop-in when I got it. I hope you get it worked out.

PICS?!

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about anyone else but I like the stock fiero interior. Anyone else just think thats dumb??
2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2003 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
A few people have said what I'm about to say...

The Fiero has a Sports Car Exterior, and an Old Grandpa Interior! I look at my car everyday and I am admired by its beauty, and then I get inside and its like being pushed into a different relm!

But I'd like to know that too, If someone is running a 3800SC, Could he be able to use the GTP ECM, would it comunicate with the Guage Pod with a little or no re-wireing??

I think I'd just use my stock Fiero HVAC Controls. Someone did that with a F-Body Interior and it didn't look soo bad.

Why I don't want Digital Guages with LED Readouts is because I enjoy Needles. lol my friends celica has every guage in the book in his car, just start up the car and watch all the guages move around in different ways, its cool!

Also I measured the length from the driver side door to the hole for the steering column, and the same from the passenger side to the hole, there shouldn't be much of a problem. Just Minor cuting that won't be visible. I got only one picture in when my camera died, I couldn't get it to take any more pictures without it shuting off first. I'll try to get it uploaded as quick as possible. I'm first gonna go out to the fiero and take some more measurements.

linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2003 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

A few people have said what I'm about to say...
The Fiero has a Sports Car Exterior, and an Old Grandpa Interior!

I felt that way before I got mine when I was looking, to be honest I sort of get the cockpit idea the designers had when they designed our interior. Look at each pod and you can see where they we're thinking aircraft interior.

------------------

Fiero 20th Anniversary Pictures
My Black 88 GT

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
yeah, an old man interior would have a vynal dash, wood trim panels, a big Am/Fm cassette a sweeping needle speedo and a gas guage with everything else hving idiot lights

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I agree with everything Roy (MrFixit58) says with the following additions:

First, I didn't have a junk Fiero to practice on so I figured out a way to install my Firebird dashboard without modifying the Fiero structure in any way. It's not quite the same as the way Roy did it, but it's an option.

Second, I didn't have any of the pigtails for the switches or even the gauges and soldered the wires directly on. I don't recommend it, but it can be done, (I only melted one switch)

Jonathan

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

Firebird Interior Installation Thread

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-25-2003).]

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2003 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
So the switches shouldn't be any problem? Also I have a question...I didn't know this was an option in Fiero's until I saw another 85 GT with it. Power Mirors....I don't have that. On the driver side door panel there is an almost Identical panel for Power Mirrors, how would I go about installing these?

I put in a Resume today at Yearwood Speed & Custom. They have been around since the 70's and they are Albuquerque's leading distributer of Autometer. If I score the job, I'll have discount on the guages. Amongst other things, they have a Big Block ford engine and a Small Block Chevy engine sitting on display inside, WOW! But yea, MrFixit and Jscott, I'd love your guy's help.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Power Mirrors are an easy upgrade if your car didn't have them. You have to buy the mirrors, of course, but they are bolt on replacements.

The wiring won't be in the car if it didn't come with power mirrors, but you can run the wires yourself. It's 4 wires per mirror, plus power and ground to the switch. I added power mirrors to my coupe, which didn't have them originally, it's not that hard.

Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tomanyfieros:

PICS?!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030531-1-026148.html

Initial pics are here. I can shoot some of the completed project if there's interest, but I don't want to hijack this thread. It involved cutting two dashes in half and sectioning them back together, then recovering with vinyl from Mr. Mikes. Also needed to make custom door panels to clear the dash corners.

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
There is interest.... shoot the pics please...

------------------

PFF
System Bot
2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2003 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I will shoot pictures as much as I can. I haven't even bought the interior yet. I'm having him hold it for me so I can do some things first.
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gary W:

Initial pics are here. I can shoot some of the completed project if there's interest, but I don't want to hijack this thread. It involved cutting two dashes in half and sectioning them back together, then recovering with vinyl from Mr. Mikes. Also needed to make custom door panels to clear the dash corners.

Gary,

I'd love to see the finished product. Your initial pictures don't show how you integrated the console or your door panels.

Roy

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2003 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to see pictures too. To give me an IDea...I figure if what you say is true....I could expand the dash from the passenger side...This junk yard has a couple more Dash's I could use.
Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post
OK, you asked for it. Dialup users can go get a snack, it's gonna be a while. Here's what I ended up with by aligning the dash with the steering column and the center console

Door won't close

Other side:

Big trouble!

So, we do this:

(don't mind the mess)

Final fit driver's side:

Passenger side:

Bonus!

This also shows the shifter console I built to tie the dash to the Fiero center console.

The whole package:

Many thanks to Mr. Mikes

The entire steering column is from the Grand Am. Everything is complete and working, including headlight switch, high beams and cruise control on the left stalk, intermittant wipers on the right. None of it was compatible with the Fiero wiring, but it all was wired to spare Fiero pigtails, so I can go back to stock if desired.

I'd say I put at least 100 hours into it, much of that in the electrical changes. If anybody wants more details, ask away.

1fiero_nyt
No longer registered
Report this Post07-25-2003 11:17 PM   Send a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post
Gary, what car is the dash from?
Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post

Gary, what car is the dash from?

'92 Grand Am Sport Sedan. (Two of them, actually). '92-'95 used this dash, but the climate controls in the '95 are electronic. I don't think there's any way to get them to work in the Fiero.

2Fast_Fiero

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2003 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2Fast_FieroClick Here to visit 2Fast_Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2Fast_FieroDirect Link to This Post
DAMN, that looks pretty darn good! So you extended the Dash from the passenger side with a strip of the spare dash? Also did you try to use the GA's Door Panel? Cause I took a look at the 99's Door panel and I see where your problem was and I'd like to find a way to use the 99 Door panels with the Dash. Gary, you wouldn't mind helping me out if I have any questions would you?
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2003 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
man Gary, that looks good! Do you have any farther away pictures so we can get a view of how it ties together with the car appearnce wise?
Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2003 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post

DAMN, that looks pretty darn good! So you extended the Dash from the passenger side with a strip of the spare dash? Also did you try to use the GA's Door Panel? Cause I took a look at the 99's Door panel and I see where your problem was and I'd like to find a way to use the 99 Door panels with the Dash. Gary, you wouldn't mind helping me out if I have any questions would you?

Ask any questions you like. It's better if you email, I'm in the middle of moving and I don't get on the forum very much these days.

I had the GA door panels. With the map pockets on the bottom, they stuck way to far into the car. They hit the seats and blocked the parking brake handle. Take a look down along the side of the seat thru the window with the door closed. There's about an inch clearance, and the Fiero door panels are just about flat. Also, the door handles were in completely the wrong location.

To extend the dash, I found a area where the contour didn't change much over a 4" length. I cut the main dash in the middle of the glovebox hole, and cut the second dash 4" to the left of the same line. Using a similarly contoured plastic strip from the scraps, I epoxied the two pieces together. There is a piece of 1/4" plywood all along the windshield edge for reinforcement.

I also forgot to mention that the curvature of the GA windshield is radically different from the Fiero. I had to trim almost 4" off the front edge of the dash, where it meets the glass. This was also necessary because the top of the cluster would have hit the steering wheel otherwise. In the construction picture, you can see the new defroster vent I had to cut.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock