Started on: 06-09-2003 07:56 PM
Replies: 35
Last post by: Kameo Kid on 06-13-2003 01:07 PM
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
Here are pics of the results of my install with my WCF 12" brake upgrade. Along with this I also installed Porterfield R4-S pads and Motul DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid. It is a carry-on of this thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/029883.html

Heres the pics:

Front:

Rear:

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
More pics

------------------

AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

AkursedX

2890 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Well I have only driven the car around the block so I have not been able to gain much of an opinion yet, but there are a few things that I can say about the install.

First, they look great, this is definietly a goog looking mod for those of us with large rims.

I feel like I have more pedal travel then what I had. I think it might be more to do with the fluid than anything else. But it definietly does stop well, better than what it did before.

As for the install, it is very easy, everything fit the way it was supposed to. The only things that were unexpected were that I had to remove the dust shields in order for the rotors to fit without rubbing. I probably could have bent them back, but they still would have been too close for my liking. It will probably breathe better without them.
Also, I had to adjust my parking brake cable because of the shift in the rotor.
Those are about the only two things that were not expected, but were easy things to take care of.

Overall, I am pleased with the install and the results.

------------------

rube

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rubeSend a Private Message to rubeDirect Link to This Post
I like. Were those rotors plated or painted? Seems to me that some of the holes from cross-drilling are awfully close to the edge of the rotor.
Azarael

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AzaraelSend a Private Message to AzaraelDirect Link to This Post
Looks freaking sweet man ... I'm glad ya like em
fiero_power

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_powerSend a Private Message to fiero_powerDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm
They look amazing...
But i wonder if MIKE in his 3.8-s/c would have better results on the track.
The holes in the rotors... do look really close to the edge... i wonder if they would be ok... and not WARP!

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME how much they are?

Azarael

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AzaraelSend a Private Message to AzaraelDirect Link to This Post
Well I sold that kit to him, and I original got it from www.westcoastfiero.com

You can check the price there, and they can answer any questions ya have

Monza76

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
A red 88 GT with no wing, big tasteful wheels and big brakes!!! Can I have your car please

Ira

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post
Your gonna LOVE that upgrade............If you want a little stiffer pedal, try swapping the master cylinder with one from a 95 full size chevy truck.
AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rube:

I like. Were those rotors plated or painted? Seems to me that some of the holes from cross-drilling are awfully close to the edge of the rotor.

I painted the rotors with 1200-degree silver paint so it'll prevent rusting somewhat.

I know a few people have mentioned the drill-holes cloes to the edge of the rotor. They don't look as close in person as they look in the picture, but as for warping, I will just have to wait and see. It wouldn't suprise me if I have rotor trouble down the road, but until my 87GT is up and running, I have been forced to take it really easy on this car because I can't afford to break down. But after that car is up and running, I am definietly going to have to auto-x this car to really see how good these brakes are.

I took the car out for a spirited drive this evening though and these brakes definietly stop better and fade is pretty much non-exsistent.

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I have the 12" Corvette rotors on my Formula. After driving with them and getting back into an '84-87 with stock brakes, you realize how bad the stock brakes are.

Hey, almost the same wheels too!

PFF
System Bot
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post
Very, very, nice....

Can't wait to get mine done....

MOBILE

------------------

Member MN Fieros Forever 1986 GT. Self Installed SC3800/getrag. 10 years in Car Audio and Car Electronics Experiance GOT 19"s??(all the way around)

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

First, they look great, this is definietly a goog looking mod for those of us with large rims.

I feel like I have more pedal travel then what I had. I think it might be more to do with the fluid than anything else. But it definietly does stop well, better than what it did before.

Overall, I am pleased with the install and the results.

I don't know much about the fluid you used, I have the same upgrade and installed the steel brake lines at the time too, looks like you have them also. I noticed that i had less travel and firmer pedal feel, are you sure you got out all the air in the lines?? all it takes is a little bubble of air it give you that longer travel.. and how did you brake in your Porterfields??

------------------

AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kameo Kid:

I don't know much about the fluid you used, I have the same upgrade and installed the steel brake lines at the time too, looks like you have them also. I noticed that i had less travel and firmer pedal feel, are you sure you got out all the air in the lines?? all it takes is a little bubble of air it give you that longer travel.. and how did you brake in your Porterfields??

I will probably bleed it again just to make sure, I might still have some air in the system, especially since I still had to rebuild one of my calipers. If the pedal stays the same, I would attribute it to the different fluid because nothing else changed. I usually bleed the brakes twice anyways.

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:

I will probably bleed it again just to make sure, I might still have some air in the system, especially since I still had to rebuild one of my calipers. If the pedal stays the same, I would attribute it to the different fluid because nothing else changed. I usually bleed the brakes twice anyways.

did anyone tell you how to break-in your Porterfields, it's different than stock pads?

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
dangit.. I need big brakes.

------------------

1988 Quad 4 Coupe 5 speed click for more pics
1986 GT 5 speed
AOL: LastMinuteBastrd AIM: SavedbyJebus

Automoda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AutomodaSend a Private Message to AutomodaDirect Link to This Post
Women dont understand what I mean when I say that stuff like those brakes are just plain sexy ;o) It must be a guy thing.

------------------

87 Quad 4 HO convertible

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Automoda:

Women dont understand what I mean when I say that stuff like those brakes are just plain sexy ;o) It must be a guy thing.

we (guys) need a sticker for the windshields that say "It's a Guy Thing You Wouldn't Understand"

rodmcneill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rodmcneillSend a Private Message to rodmcneillDirect Link to This Post
Looks good but won't the paint on the rotors melt off at high braking temps and contaminate the brake pads? I personally would never paint the braking surface of a rotor, that's a part you want to keep clean.
Sleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SleeperSend a Private Message to SleeperDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rodmcneill:

Looks good but won't the paint on the rotors melt off at high braking temps and contaminate the brake pads? I personally would never paint the braking surface of a rotor, that's a part you want to keep clean.

most people don't like the seeing stock brakes looking rusty, why would you want to do that to some big brakes? they look and stay clean when they are painted. the paint will disappear where the pads touch the rotors because of the heat, everywhere else on the rotor should be fine as long as he cleaned the rotors good before painting them.

------------------

3800 Supercharged w/ some mods
sig tuning by: Kameo Kid

banditbalz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monza76:

A red 88 GT with no wing, big tasteful wheels and big brakes!!! Can I have your car please

Ira

It gets better... no sunroof and a kick'n stereo. This machine is one of my favorites.

Joe, conrats on the problem free install! Hope to see ya at the GTA show in Niagara Falls.

I am on my way out to the garage for my own stock brake job (new calipers, rotors, pads, sliders). Now I need to get larger rims for a C4 brake swap.

------------------
Silver GT
1.8 60', 15.2 1/4, 6.4 0-60
K+N, Holley scoop, Splitfires and a 4 speed baby!

PFF
System Bot
AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rodmcneill:

After painting, I cleaned off the braking surface of the rotor to prevent that problem. Everything else is painted over though.

AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

AkursedX

2890 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by banditbalz:

It gets better... no sunroof and a kick'n stereo. This machine is one of my favorites.

Joe, conrats on the problem free install! Hope to see ya at the GTA show in Niagara Falls.

I am on my way out to the garage for my own stock brake job (new calipers, rotors, pads, sliders). Now I need to get larger rims for a C4 brake swap.

Thanks for the comments George. Hopefully I'll be at the GTA show. Work has been hectic this year so I don't know what I'm doing yet. Also, what day is the Mapleview meets? Tuesdays or Wednesdays? I might try to make a few of those.

banditbalz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for banditbalzClick Here to visit banditbalz's HomePageSend a Private Message to banditbalzDirect Link to This Post
Joe, Mapleview is every wednesday night. It starts around 5 and runs until the burnout competition, ehrr, I mean 9 pm...

A little far to drive from Buffalo, but there's a couple of new fastbacks this year and well worth the drive.

------------------
Silver GT
1.8 60', 15.2 1/4, 6.4 0-60
K+N, Holley scoop, Splitfires and a 4 speed baby!

AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, I'm off tomorrow. Maybe you will see me there. I need to get out of the city, even if just for one night. It depends on the weather though.
LUD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LUDSend a Private Message to LUDDirect Link to This Post
Hey,
do you think itīs worth the price or is the zettner upgrade more economic?
fierogt88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post
AkursedX: I must know, what did you use to attach the stainless lines to the control arm? I ask because I'm using nylon fasteners and I don't expect them to last.

Rockcrawl: Why didn't you attach the stainless lines to the control arms?

AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt88:

AkursedX: I must know, what did you use to attach the stainless lines to the control arm? I ask because I'm using nylon fasteners and I don't expect them to last.

All I have are the nylon fasteners that came with the lines. They have been on almost 20k now with no problems.

fierogt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2003 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post
Any way you could get a close-up of the fasteners? Mine did not come with them but if the ones I have look like yours I shall resign myself to contentment.
Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2003 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post
another take on fasteners, I used a metal one the was rubber coated on the part that goes around the stainless line, but I cut a piece of vacuum hose to put around the line first to keep is snug inside the clamp.. worked out fine.. I didn't like the nylon due to some slipage and didn't think it would last.. I may be wrong about the nylon but the metal ones gave me a better install
fierogt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2003 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt88Send a Private Message to fierogt88Direct Link to This Post
Where did you get the metal? The autoparts stores here don't have them on the shelves and the high school dropouts behind the counter only offer blank stares when asked.
PFF
System Bot
Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2003 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt88:

Where did you get the metal? The autoparts stores here don't have them on the shelves and the high school dropouts behind the counter only offer blank stares when asked.

I got them from a small hardware store in the next town, but you may be able to get them at a Handyman Hardware or some place like that.. If you can't find them there send me a PM and I'll see if i can get you more info on them..

[This message has been edited by Kameo Kid (edited 06-12-2003).]

sloth85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sloth85GTSend a Private Message to sloth85GTDirect Link to This Post
First off, DAMN THOSE BRAKES ARE BIG!

Next, what is the minimum wheel size that is required with those brakes?

------------------

Dan
1985 Silver GT

Selling my rebuilt and never run LT1, if interested email me dankuzma@hotmail.com.

Azarael

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AzaraelSend a Private Message to AzaraelDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LUD:

Hey,
do you think itīs worth the price or is the zettner upgrade more economic?

Well this is for the 88's ... at the zettner setup is for 84-87 cars ... not to mention the 88 calipers are so much more sexah.

West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sloth85GT:

First off, DAMN THOSE BRAKES ARE BIG!

Next, what is the minimum wheel size that is required with those brakes?

17" wheels minimum, there may be some 16" wheels out there that may work but that would really be pushing it

------------------
( the above was the thoughts, views, and opinions of a disgruntled Fiero mechanic, and do not express or
imply those of West Coast Fiero, Fieros West, or any other organization - just that of this poor
bastard )
:)

Eric Nelson
Technician,
West Coast Fiero
310-305-4111

Kameo Kid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2003 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kameo KidSend a Private Message to Kameo KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by West Coast Fiero:

17" wheels minimum, there may be some 16" wheels out there that may work but that would really be pushing it

Eric is PM working for you yet?? if so drop me one..

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock