Started on: 02-24-2003 02:59 PM
Replies: 115
Last post by: Voytek on 06-23-2003 10:18 AM
Voytek

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Ok all you Fiero fanatics. Here are some things I've been working on for the last month or so.

FLASHY (drum roll) - post away!

(I never did try to figure out the pic posting thing and don't have a digital camera ).

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FLASHY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FLASHYSend a Private Message to FLASHYDirect Link to This Post
Here ya go...

tomanyfieros

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomanyfierosSend a Private Message to tomanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
looks good!
i like the vents on the bumper..
Thanx
Jason

[This message has been edited by tomanyfieros (edited 02-24-2003).]

FLASHY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FLASHYSend a Private Message to FLASHYDirect Link to This Post
few more...

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FLASHY:

Here ya go...

Love the front scooooped fascia... Was mine an inspiration to you?? Someone here has a picture of it, surely... I think you can see it in my sig. picture too...

------------------

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Smoooooth GT

8823 posts
Member since Jun 2001
oppp's.. double post.

[This message has been edited by Smoooooth GT (edited 02-24-2003).]

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Flash-man!

So far this is what I've done in the last 3 months:
1. Hood vent
2. Deck lid vent.
3. Front facia scoops.
4. Widen front facia just ahead of wheels.
5. Rear coilovers.
6. Turbo.

Still to come:
1. Currently on order: 8"x17" rims with 245/45/17 rear and 215/45/17 front tires.
2. V8 Archie ground effects/scoops (soon to be ordered).
3. StreetDreams drop spindles (front).
4. Mr. Mike's leather.
5. New Corvette Yellow paintjob.
6. Rear sway bar.
7. POSSIBLE mods to rear bumper.

Timeline for all this:
To be completed by end of April. Stay tuned for more!

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FLASHY:

few more...

here's a front view of mine...

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Hey Smooth
That looks good!

Actually, no, you were not my inspiration (sorry to disappoint you). I've been thinking about doing something like this ever since I saw it on a Ferrari, just different shape (one that would suit the Fiero).

Yes, I have noticed yours before in your sig. When I decided to do this, though, I didn't even think about your mods. To tell you the truth, I remembered about the pics in your sig yesterday, after Flashy took pics of my mods and thought that this may look similar (great minds think alike, eh? ).

IMO this shape of scoop is the only shape that looks good on the facia because it flows with the curves of the car.

You've actually taken yours a step further and made them longer. I'm glad they didn't come out exactly the same because I would feel like a copycat.

I love the triangular scoops, btw. I *may* copy you on that, if you don't mind (but ONLY if I have enough time to do everything before the end of April).

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Voytek- did you "borrow" that scoop from the front trim of a Camaro RS (or something else)? Or did you just cut and smooth it in?

Looks very nice! Also, did you cut a hole for the deck scoop? Or just bond it on?

Keep up the good work- and keep us posted on your other mods.

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Voytek:

Hey Smooth
That looks good!

IMO this shape of scoop is the only shape that looks good on the facia because it flows with the curves of the car.

I love the triangular scoops, btw. I *may* copy you on that, if you don't mind (but ONLY if I have enough time to do everything before the end of April).

Thank's...
I agree with the shape make's the scoop what it is, and it matches my side-door scoop's.

It would be a pleasure to see it on another Fiero as I have made a change (again.. ) in that area and it is different then the picture above. After I change my hood to the 'rounded' version it didn't match the triangles on the front fascia...lol It had ALOT more of a Pontiac (today) feel to it.

Again, Great job on ALL of you mod's. Is the stang scoop vented or just for show??

PFF
System Bot
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Smoooooth GT

8823 posts
Member since Jun 2001
Ohh... I forgot to say that if you do the 'triangular vents' there is some of the front metal that need's to be removed from behind the 'absorber' and I justed glassed the whole top section from behind to add strength and to keep from warping the upper part, so I just left my 'absorber' off. I just thought that I would throw this out there before you did the fascia...lol
Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Voytek- did you "borrow" that scoop from the front trim of a Camaro RS (or something else)? Or did you just cut and smooth it in?

Looks very nice! Also, did you cut a hole for the deck scoop? Or just bond it on?

Keep up the good work- and keep us posted on your other mods.

Thanks guys.

To answer some questions:
1. The rear scoop is from The Fibersmith, AKA Pat Kalsmith (custom made). It is glassed in.

2. It IS vented, i.e. functional. Since I have a turbo, the engine tends to run a bit hotter when you punch the gas - this mod should help a bit.

3. Thanks for the pointers on the front, Smooth. I'll keep that in mind.

More pics of new rims within 2-3 weeks.

Santa Cruzer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Santa CruzerSend a Private Message to Santa CruzerDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! you have a PM.
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Looks very nice! I like all the mods, the frt bumper vents look unique.

------------------

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

the frt bumper vents look unique.

Itt is.. Only 2 here on the forum... his and mine..lol

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
I really like the fender vent. Nice work!

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Thanks guys.

To answer some questions:
1. The rear scoop is from The Fibersmith, AKA Pat Kalsmith (custom made). It is glassed in.

Sorry to be unclear (I figured about the deck scoop... it's the same one I have ). I was actually curious about the scoops you used on the front fascia?

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, was just curious about how you did the side scoops on the front fascia.
Matt

------------------

Red 86 SE 2.8

Rate me if I've helped or just if you liked my responce.

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Voytek:

Your mods look great! Can't wait to see them at the next CFOG meeting in April. I can see that I'm going to have to learn how to do body work, hmmm.... gives me some ideas.

Sour

soup

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Sorry to be unclear (I figured about the deck scoop... it's the same one I have ). I was actually curious about the scoops you used on the front fascia?

I am curious about those front fasica scoops as well. I was thinking about doing this the other day, and using old quarter panels. Is that what you used?

------------------

Thanks hallsman!

PFF
System Bot
Monza76

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Very nice, I have a hood in my shed waiting to be finished, I just have the hole cut for now. Could you post or PM details on how you finished your hood vent. (I'd post a picture of my hood but they are on a CD, but I don't know which one)

Ira

FieroMGDriver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMGDriverSend a Private Message to FieroMGDriverDirect Link to This Post
I especially like your vents in front of the wheels, but how are you going to finish them off? When you put the wheel wells back in, are you going to run the vent somewhere?

------------------

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments guys. Now, to answer some questions:

1. No, the vents ahead of the wheels are not functional (just for looks ). I will actually put in a couple little grilles in there once the car is painted.

2. Recipe for making the vents:
- make a template of what you want (I used thin cardboard)
- sand down paint as much as you can
- draw outline of vent
- cut with jigsaw (I had to start the hole with a multitool)
- on the inside, sand down to plastic all around both sides of the cut
- on the outside make corners round
- buy Duramix bondo (the best on the market) and uniform fiberglass cloth
- cut strips of cloth and attach with bondo around the opening from inside of facia (takes 5 minutes to set - use heatgun to speed up)
- then use cheaper flexible filler to fill in from outside and sand

Couple things to remember:
- before applying any bondo, make sure all paint dust, grease, etc. is gone - I used rubbing alcohol (cheap and evaporates in seconds)
- paint bonded parts from the inside to protect from weathering (if you want this to be permanent)

3. Widening the fenders: everyone knows the front Fiero tires stick out somewhat (right before the facia). Here's what I did:
- get old body panel (I used a damaged door)
- cut one wide strip (I did about 1 inch) and one narrower strip (about 1/2 the wider strip), both contoured to wheel well, from bottom of facia to marker light/trim
- sand down facia to plastic, just ahead of the wheels
- sand down any paint off the (2) strips
- use Duramix (or equivalent) to glue wide piece onto facia, thus eliminating the curves in the facia just ahead of the wheel
- use same bondo to glue narrower piece onto wide piece
- fill in with bondo and contour to body as desired
- lots and lots of sanding

The reason I used the two strips is because bondo is not that cheap, and it is also relatively heavy. Also, using the strips helps to get the initial curves so you don't have to contour a pile of bondo.

This is the way I did it. Smooth may have a different way.

I *may* do similar vents on rear bumper to match (facing backwards and time permitting), also non-functional.

Monza76 - check your PM.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Cool! Thanks Voytek for the info
RRobinson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RRobinsonSend a Private Message to RRobinsonDirect Link to This Post
Good job Voytek! You are truly the "Venting King of Calgary". Can't wait to see it at a CFOG meeting.

------------------
88GT Red 5-Speed...5K
88GT Red Auto...40K
87GT Blue 5-Speed...17K
87GT Black 5-Speed...55K
86GT Red 5-Speed...42K
85GT Black Auto...63K
95 Sierra GT(BYP)100% Stock
02 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition #2215

Wanted: Low mileage/all original Canadian 88 GTs/Formulas/84 Indys

befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Voytek, I can't wait for the Red Deer meet. I like your hood vent, that is what I want to make, but with 2 holes. Can you PM me on how you did that, I have a spare hood to use.

------------------
Thanks,
Ben E-Farrer

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

- cut strips of cloth and attach with bondo.

Never thought of using the Bondo on the fiberglass cloth... Hmmm I just just the regular glass resign instead of bondo on my cloth...

sidenote: I think I have this making of big, long fiberglass mold's figured out...lol I made a mold and pulled my first piece off of it today.. I can't wait ...lol Just five more pieces and my Fiero will be headed for a BIG change....lol Will I ever stop??

[This message has been edited by Smoooooth GT (edited 02-25-2003).]

webbee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
If you put a coat of fiber glass resin on top of the bondo it makes it really hard.

I love those mods, really nice!

JMunilla87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMunilla87GTSend a Private Message to JMunilla87GTDirect Link to This Post
looking sweet. hate to say it but I may have to be a copy cat and do the same vents. I was thinking of something like that a 6-7 months ago bu never could figure out the perfect way to do it; i think you have achieved it. congratulations.

------------------
Josh Munilla

Rob Ernst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rob ErnstClick Here to visit Rob Ernst's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rob ErnstDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Flash-man!

So far this is what I've done in the last 3 months:
6. Turbo.

Still to come.

6. Rear sway bar.
7. POSSIBLE mods to rear bumper.

Timeline for all this:
To be completed by end of April. Stay tuned for more!

Not to hijack this thread away from the body mods, but I'd like some pics and more info on your turbo / rear sway bar and rear bumper mods...

Rob

PFF
System Bot
twodogjohnny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twodogjohnnyClick Here to visit twodogjohnny's HomePageSend a Private Message to twodogjohnnyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Smoooooth GT:

sidenote: I think I have this making of big, long fiberglass mold's figured out...lol I made a mold and pulled my first piece off of it today.. [This message has been edited by Smoooooth GT (edited 02-25-2003).]

smooth!
Will you start a thread on how you did the mold? Someday, I'd like to try it.
-john

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twodogjohnny:

smooth!
Will you start a thread on how you did the mold? Someday, I'd like to try it.
-john

Mr. TwoDog... LOL sorry I had to say it...
Sure I will... I am off to work right now, but when I get in this afternoon I'll throw one together....
It really was'nt that hard, alot of common sense to me...lol

------------------

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rob Ernst:

Not to hijack this thread away from the body mods, but I'd like some pics and more info on your turbo / rear sway bar and rear bumper mods...

Rob

1. Turbo - got a setup from an early '90's Audi 5000 (same as used to be in Porsches). Total cost was $1,900 CDN installed (about $1200 USD). Power - INCREDIBLE. I did not do the install myself - had a member of our Calgary Fiero Owners Group do it for me. It's actually quite simple and includes a knock sensor / computer from a mid 80's GM, boost gauge, turbo and plumbing. I will try to post more details with pics down the road once my car is more complete.

2. Rear sway bar - not installed yet but is one of the best handling mods for the buck. The Fiero Store sells them in sets, front and back but you can also use a sway bar from the front of another Fiero or other GM cars. Do a search on it - there is plenty of info here, including entire 'how to' website links.

3. Rear bumper mods - not much to it. I'm considering doing similar vents as on the front only facing backward just to match the front. You can read about how I did the front mods above.

Thanks for all the positive comments, guys.

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2003 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Ok - here are some more recent mods. (pics courtesy of Flashy).

Wing - includes 5" extensions from Fiero Wearhouse AND custom 'bend-work' to achieve a down slope from each stand outwards.

Wheels - 17" x 7" Katana (Core Racing).

Front suspension (not that you can tell) - new Street Dreams 2" drop spindles.

FLASHY - take it away.

Tabs31

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2003 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post
I love the vents on the front bumper. It looks like a nice clean job. Good work.

------------------

Real Sports Cars, Dont Have Cup Holders!

Voytek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2003 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Flashy? You there?.....
tejas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2003 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tejasSend a Private Message to tejasDirect Link to This Post

Ok - here are some more recent mods. (pics courtesy of Flashy).

Front suspension (not that you can tell) - new Street Dreams 2" drop spindles.

Voytek,

There is a thread that questions the quality of the Street Dreams spindles.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/033537.html

What is your opinion based on what you just received? Any problems with fit-up or bolt holes in the wrong place?

BTW very nice work.

Karl

87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2003 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
Are you worried about the lack of flexibility the bondo has? Duramix also makes a flexible body panel repair epoxy which is also sandable. I used it to install my lower door trim for my Stage 2 scoops.

If I were to do this... I would use flexible stuff to prevent slight bumps and bumper flex from cracking all your hard work. I dont remember the part number of the duramix epoxy, but I have a catalog around here somewhere. If I find it, I will edit this post.

------------------

FLASHY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2003 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FLASHYSend a Private Message to FLASHYDirect Link to This Post
WHOA!!! Sorry man, I was waiting for an email reply on my other address. Whoops, my fault. Normally I would have seen this post earlier because I'm on this forum like every 10 minutes or so

Anyway, better late than never right? Here they are...

More pics on next page ---->

[This message has been edited by FLASHY (edited 04-22-2003).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock