Started on: 03-23-2003 11:10 PM
Replies: 136
Last post by: JD86GT350 on 05-06-2003 08:05 PM
lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Fierochic has brought me a victum to operate on. Its her blue 85 GT. She wants the car painted all over and some things added but I'll let her tell what exactaully those are. I promised her to send pics of the progress but i thought some of you on the forum may be interested in whats evolved in painting a Fiero. I'll post more pics if theres any interest and feel free to post any questions you may have.

Start....

Pic of her new molded in front air dam....

4 hours later car is sanded with 320 and chips feathered out. Some parts removed

This pic show athe quarter panel repair. this sction was reapired before but has since developed several cracks that need to be repaired. What you see there is FUSOR SMC?Fiberglass repair. Once this sets over nite it will be sanded and formed with 80 grit then covered with polyester putty and sanded with 180 til smooth.
Post if want to see more!

------------------
Earl Sessions
1985 Fiero w/ 1998 Supercharged 3.8 V-6
Best ET: 12.689 @ 105.91mph

"NO Juice....Just BOOST!"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Keep 'em coming, Earl! It seems like every couple of weeks, someone is asking about painting a Fiero...would be nice to see a step by step photo journal. There have been a couple of others that have started, but didn't finish. RogerGarrison posted and finished a thread on his Raptor, but the more information out there, the better it is for all of us.

------------------

Mike...86 GT 4 Speed
"Sucks to be me..."

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
NOO!! Thats MY airdam. And when I say air dam, what I mean is air-damn. lol.

Oh well.. cars comin out great. Looks as though you may be shaving the 'Pontiac' from the headlight cover.

Btw, when your prepping the car, don't cut the fenders..

------------------

19 Year Old Fierophile.
--1986 SE V6, Wild Custom Notchback
--1984 SE Modified Notchback

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 03-24-2003).]

lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
opps forgot the last pic...
OutlawFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OutlawFieroClick Here to visit OutlawFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to OutlawFieroDirect Link to This Post
yeah, that helps to see what you are doing. It helps to know what grit sandpaper youre using, thanks. I will be repainting my car from maroon to black this summer.

------------------
Help, Someone has lit a Fiero in my a#@!

lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
hey JNCOMUTT...how did your car come out? And cutting the fenders is definitely not in the plans! Unless you want to pay me under the table to sabotage her car since shes probably going to be in your clas at Carlisle.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Car looks great (finally). Its actually back to a decent looking status and ready to be painted. The only problem is I just dropped off a mustang scoop to his shop to get molded to the trunk lid.

I'm aware of the class thing, lol. Too bad my engine bay is UGLY!!

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Please tell me you're repainting it the same color! I love that color. In fact, I'm about to paint mine very close to that. BTW, I like the molded in front spoiler.

------------------

lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Actually the cars is going pink with powder blue flames. Should look cool! And the front air dam was done by Fierochic and her boyfriend so i can't take credit for that.

------------------
Earl Sessions
1985 Fiero w/ 1998 Supercharged 3.8 V-6
Best ET: 12.689 @ 105.91mph

"NO Juice....Just BOOST!"

sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

Actually the cars is going pink with powder blue flames.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
*sheds a tear*

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Actually the cars is going pink with powder blue flames. Should look cool!

*screams* AAAH! You're doing WHAT to that car??? Wow...to each his (or her) own, I guess.

Bryce
88 GT

PFF
System Bot
87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post

Actually the cars is going pink with powder blue flames. Should look cool! And the front air dam was done by Fierochic and her boyfriend so i can't take credit for that.

NO!!!

I loved the Cobalt Blue/Grey

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 05:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. Some people dont realize how fast you can actually go when you get started. Chic, everyone does what they want to their car....but pink !!!!!!!! Never know though, lets see it finished. I did a pink 57 t-bird that looked pretty cool.

------------------

http://groups.msn.com/RogersCarPhotos/hootergirls.msnw

Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
Hey how did you mold the front end to the ground effects...
Anyone have a steep by steep pics on this..??

What material can you use to bond/mold the polly together..??

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Slam that thing!

hehe

Along For The Ride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Along For The RideClick Here to visit Along For The Ride's HomePageSend a Private Message to Along For The RideDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. Can't wait to have it back home. You are doing a great job. Keep the pictures coming.

Can't wait to see the PINK!!!!!!

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Seanpaul:

Hey how did you mold the front end to the ground effects...
Anyone have a steep by steep pics on this..??

What material can you use to bond/mold the polly together..??

Making the "skitime/lawrence" style air dam is the easy part ( //www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030204-2-027606.html ) - the molding in of the air dam takes a bit of extra skill.

Both pieces are flexible, so you have to be sure to use flexible fillers. There are a number of 2-part epoxies that remain flexible when cured. You can find some normal forms of this at your local parts store in the form of "Flexible Bumper Repair Kits" (although, there are numerous other suppliers as well- check with your local automotive body supply store).

Extremely well done! I'll have to wait and see how it looks when it's done before I finalize my decision as to whether or not I'll leave the seam or mould it in as well

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Direct Link to This Post
Hehe. Pink yeah right! I almost killed my parents when I grew up and realized my room was pink, much less would I paint my car that color.

Don't worry guys, the car is going right back to the same color it was before just with a couple of additions to it. Jnco, when we started the air "damn" project I had no idea you were doing yours that way as well...oh well! You have a cool air scoop and I don't .

Anyways, Earl thanks for the pics! The "secret" part of the project should be mailed soon, there was a delay in the manufacture of it!
Hope you guys enjoy watching the paint job!

Jennifer

------------------

IM Username: FieroChic88
Silver 1988 GT
Silver 1986 2m4
Cobalt Blue 85 GT 3.4

[This message has been edited by Fierochic88 (edited 03-24-2003).]

TooManyFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TooManyFierosSend a Private Message to TooManyFierosDirect Link to This Post

hey JNCOMUTT...how did your car come out? And cutting the fenders is definitely not in the plans! Unless you want to pay me under the table to sabotage her car since shes probably going to be in your clas at Carlisle.

What are you guys doing to that car????It looks like someone hit it with a DA? And who did that nose job? Hey JNCOMUTT, did you fill in your spoiler at the seam too? What did you use?

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
The front bumper was done by my body man. It was ready to paint, but am now plannin something to make it a 'lil different.

As far as the spoiler, its not molded in right now. We're going to put it on the car and see how things work out. We were unsure whether or not slamming the trunk over and over will eventually crack it or not. I'm thinkin I'm going to smooth it in anyways, only time will tell.

kslish

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
Hey John you started your's first:

(posted by Jncomutt on Feb. 26th)

However I think Jen's will be DONE and painted first!

Ken S.

PFF
System Bot
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good! Keep the updates coming! It's nice to see in progress pics. Lots-o-folks don't realize ho wmuch effort goes into prep for a paint job and the need for detail. Roger is correct...it's amazing how much you can do when you set your mind to it and get started, but when you have started, don't stop! Keep going and do it right. Prep is 90% of your paint job.

One question I have.....what color and what kind of primer are you using?

Mark the paint guru
V8Dreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8DreamerSend a Private Message to V8DreamerDirect Link to This Post
Looking good....but you guys better slow the hell down. I don't want Jen's car to be started 2 months after mine and still be done first!!! Anyway, that fusor SMC repair is bringing back some bad memories of a cold garage, a cured mixing tip and fusor splooging out the back all over the gun Either way the car looks like it's coming along great. I can't wait to get mind sprayed, I think I'm finished prepping everything except the hood which is at Rockcrawl's place right now. I can see the pros moved quite a bit faster than I did...but that's about what I expected.

Earl, what happened to the wing on your car? I noticed in the background of that second pic the wing isn't anywhere in sight.

One more question. Is there anything special you guys use to ensure adhesion to the plastic moldings and markers? I'd like mine to stay the color they're painted for a long time :-)

Later,
Ryan

TooManyFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TooManyFierosSend a Private Message to TooManyFierosDirect Link to This Post
Mark-I think this should answer any questions about the paint used and the technique. I had to dig for this information but I'm sure it's accurate. I hope this clears up any questions. LOL Jen's Dad [IMG]http://www.talon.net/jgilbert/Jen/Maaco.jpg [/IMG]

Originally posted by Firefox:

Lookin' good! Keep the updates coming! It's nice to see in progress pics. Lots-o-folks don't realize ho wmuch effort goes into prep for a paint job and the need for detail. Roger is correct...it's amazing how much you can do when you set your mind to it and get started, but when you have started, don't stop! Keep going and do it right. Prep is 90% of your paint job.

One question I have.....what color and what kind of primer are you using?

Mark the paint guru

[This message has been edited by TooManyFieros (edited 03-24-2003).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Jnco, i notice in your lowering job you conveniently left out the ramp car was parked on, lol. That would be a good reason not to lower it
Denny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyDirect Link to This Post
Here be your picture, Jim.

Kaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KazSend a Private Message to KazDirect Link to This Post
Jen,

your car looks great.
see you at the Carlisle

------------------

lildevil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
wow this thread has taken off since i last logged on. Lots and Lots of Questions. I hope i can answer them all.
First, the car is going back the same shade of blue and silver. Jus without all the chips and scrathces and trash from the previous painter.
Fierochis will have to answer all the questions about the front cover. I am jus painting it. While i have it off i could take some pics of the backside if anyone wants it.
As for the primer its a urethan based primer. My paint system uses a white primer that i can tint to what ever color i like. Comes in handy when doing white cars. I tinted the primer on her car to help with coverage since the blue i am putting on is mostly pearl and doesn't cover worth a damn.But before puitting on the sandable primer i coated the car with a good clear platic primer to help the primer adhere to the bare plastic.

If i was going to attempt to mold in anything on a Fiero I would use only FUSOR expoxies. I have had the best luck with that line. I have tried Duramix but it never seems to bond very well and creates bubbles when the car sits in the sun.

Dreamer,
My spolier is getting repainted thats all. And if i was going to paint the molding i would use a grey scotch brite pad to prep them lightly and then plastic prime the pieces prior to paint.

Heres today pics!
More parts removed

Finished quarter prior to primer

in the booth patiently waiting for primer

Fresh out of the oven!

The tranformation begins. Both decklids cut in and headlight doors and mirrors painted. We,re ROLLING!

Close up of the color

well that should keep you guys satified for one more nite.

Later!

Tabs31

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post
Wow! Thats really looking great. Jen you going with the same shade of blue from before?

------------------

Real Sports Cars, Dont Have Cup Holders!

FieroHarry

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryDirect Link to This Post

If i was going to attempt to mold in anything on a Fiero I would use only FUSOR expoxies. I have had the best luck with that line. I have tried Duramix but it never seems to bond very well and creates bubbles when the car sits in the sun.

!

Dang I was wondering were those bubbles were coming from.....................
FUSOR, is it available at most distributors?
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Lildevil you have a pm

------------------

Red 86 SE 2.8

Rate me if I've helped or just if you liked my responce.

PFF
System Bot
sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
So glad to see you going with the same color!
I was literally about to cry when I read that you were changing it. I can't believe it's already getting painted! I'm so slow. I've been working on mine for months!
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
The car is looking great! I've been painting for quite a few years, and I guess I'm still doing it right. Is this Fiero going to be at the Dell's Run this year?

Mark
Along For The Ride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Along For The RideClick Here to visit Along For The Ride's HomePageSend a Private Message to Along For The RideDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. Keep those pictures coming.
Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
So what is the desired effect from removing all the small parts and painting the separate..??
Is it so you can use different methods on the Polyurethane..?
Seanpaul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post

Seanpaul

1320 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by Kaz:

Jen,

your car looks great.
see you at the Carlisle

Kaz where/how did you get you're frond end..?
Thats the look I'm after!

GOLDSE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GOLDSESend a Private Message to GOLDSEDirect Link to This Post
Exactly what is that part we're looking at in the last pic? The rounded one.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
The reason for removing so many parts: you get a better paint job. If you spray a car with the rear deck lid closed, you cannot spray the painted piece between the taillights and the trunk. So, if you don't paint it, you either have to mask it off or let the over spray coat the edges. That looks crappy. The idea behind a paint job is to make it look like a factory paint job.

Use the fuel filler as an example. If you leave it in place, the new paint covers the quarter/sail panel and the fuel cover assembly, and the area that's under the assembly isn't painted. Now, as temperatures change, the plastic from the fuel door assembly expands and contracts at a different rate than the body panels, and the paint cracks and peels. Not very professional.

When you have a tape edge, you run the risk of that edge starting to peel just because it's there. If you don't have an exposed edge, the chances are a lot better that your paint job will look a lot better. Also, when people look at paint jobs, they look for those tape edges. The more that you remove from the car, the better the paint job because you don't have to tape off anything. The Fiero that I'm just finishing has to be reassembled because I pretty much disassembled it....everything was painted off of the car, except the roof and rear clip. This also allows you to repaint the black parts that do show, such as door jambs, and you can also clean up any areas of rust you find. A little fix-it-up now will save you a lot of time and energy later.

Mark the paint guru
Along For The Ride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Along For The RideClick Here to visit Along For The Ride's HomePageSend a Private Message to Along For The RideDirect Link to This Post
Bump
David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2003 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
How did you sand the entire car in under one day. I see you used a DA, but how do you get in spots that are too small for a DA? Any tips and tricks would be great.

A couple examples of trouble spots for me:

-The "Pontiac" in the drivers side headlight
-the resessed inlets (where the reflectors sit) in the rear bumper cover

[This message has been edited by David Bartlett (edited 03-25-2003).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave