Simple ChopTop question by AgaricX
Started on: 02-26-2003 04:28 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Falcon Fiero on 02-26-2003 10:54 PM
AgaricX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AgaricXClick Here to visit AgaricX's HomePageSend a Private Message to AgaricXDirect Link to This Post
I am seriously debating an Archie-done choptop. I have a couple questions...

I'm 6'3" and am a bit worried about fitting comfortably.

I have t-tops... is it going to affect their seals at all?

Is daily visibility an issue with the decreased angle of the windshield?

Bottom line... is it worth the money (for those who have had it done by Archie... that's the ONLY way I'll have it done).

------------------
1988 Fiero GT T-Tops - IRM rockers soooooon.
1999 Infiniti I30 Turbo(336 HP at the ground)
1999 Eclipse GS-T Spyder Super 16G Turbo(Wife's Car... not dyno'd yet)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
With a t-top it will affect more than just the seals I imagine. The windscreen on a chop top car gets laid back about 9 degrees. The t-top glass would probably have to be smaller and the rubbers cut also.

------------------

White 86 GT 4 Speed Manual - Black 86 GT Auto
The Fiero Shop International - Jade Web Design
If you appreciate my contribution please give me a rating

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
WEll I'm 6'2" and 225lbs and I fit fine.
as far as the T-Tops I agree with Ausie it would be more of a problem to do., but I think it could be done. {worlds first choptop T-top}
Is it worth the money.........thats your call . I have no regrets with mine or what it cost. now if I can just get those Lambo doors to go with it.............

------------------

sailordude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sailordudeClick Here to visit sailordude's HomePageSend a Private Message to sailordudeDirect Link to This Post
If you decide to do the choptop, but decide to sell the T-top please keep me in mind. That's something I would like to find
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I can't say for certain... but I seem to recall Archie mentioning that he didn't think a choptop could be performed on an existing T-Top car, but that a T-top could possibly be installed after the chop was done.

...just something I recall hearing, but you'd probably want to ask the source...

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I have never heard Archie say one way or the other if a Chop Top can be done on a T-top. I asked the question in open forum and did not get a response.

I would be very interested to hear from Archie himself, if he would even attepmt it. As far as I know it would be a first.

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't the silver one he did a T-top?

Also, I am 6'2" as well....fit just fine. Just get the seat mods done, less foam, shortened seat rails and you will be fine. I actually fit better in the GBCT than I do in my 88GT w/ Lumbar!

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 02-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 02-26-2003).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I have never heard Archie say one way or the other if a Chop Top can be done on a T-top. I asked the question in open forum and did not get a response.

I would be very interested to hear from Archie himself, if he would even attepmt it. As far as I know it would be a first.

After a little searching, this is what I remember seeing/reading:

Originally posted by Archie:

We haven't tried to do a "T" top chop yet because that at the trailing edge of the "T" top "H" frame is right in the same area as some of our most serious cutting.

Archie

This is where I found it (thread titled "ChopTop T-Top?" in the archives) : https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20020118-1-009379.html

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 02-26-2003).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

MinnGreenGT

11545 posts
Member since Jul 2001
And after a bit more surfing... this is the one that I was thinking of more specifically:

Originally posted by Canadian GT:

I Remember reading earlier in another post that you could not do a T-top Choptop as you would run into cutting problems with the "h" frame. I was wondering if that is only in cars that already have the T-top installed in them. I have a T-top kit sitting here in my basement that is brand new in a box, never installed and was wondering if you could install that in a Chop-top. I have a 2 year plan right now, so that by the time I am 21 I will have a 5 speed Fiero GT(Picking up in about 2 months) then by spring chop top it, and the following year either supercharge or V8 it. I cant believe how well I am sticking to my plan and depositing money for this every 2 weeks. In addition, do you know if you have to pay duty on a service like a chop-top comming over the border? I wonder if I will be the First Fiero Chop Top in Canada?
PeAcE
Kyle
(86 GT Auto)

Originally posted by Archie:

Well I never considered installing a "T" top AFTER doing the chop top..... but I think it would work.

Right now there is no Chop Tops in Canada, so you'd be the first AFIK.

Archie

Found in the archives under the title "Archie....about the T-top-Choptop": https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20020118-1-009940.html

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 02-26-2003).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
I have sat in Archies stinger... I already have a 12" windsheild banner on my car and being about 6' tall and sitting back in the seat (angled back) i see right over the wheel... When i sat in Archies car i could see fine... With the windshield back more it give you a supercar feeling from the roofline and windshield. Perhaps if Archie had a finance plan or sponsorship plan it would be my FIRST mod. But since im low on cash im doing my 4g63 swap FIRST

------------------
"Raced That, Wrecked Better"

~In Memory Of Jesse Cesek~ 1980-2000
85GT Fastback ~ 4G63 Turbo Swap!
92 Laser RS AWD ~ More mods than you can shake a stick at! 362Hp! So Eat That.
http://www.biohazardracing.com - Under Construction

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I see that MinnGreenGT's recall skills extend beyond pictures and into the contents of threads as well.

I would be really interested to hear Archie's take on this. For anyone considering a Chop Top and a T-top it sounds like you had better schedule the Chop Top first.

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I see that MinnGreenGT's recall skills extend beyond pictures and into the contents of threads as well.

LMAO! Thanks... that's pretty good!

It's funny though- sometimes I'm talking to someone and can't think of the word I'm searching for. Example: "Doh! I forgot to feed the... small... fluffy... mammal... feline thing... Cat! -yeah, the cat! "

Oh yeah... I'd really like to see this done too!

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AgaricX:

I have t-tops... is it going to affect their seals at all?

This thread has caused me to review my position on doing the chop to a "T" top car.

This is the 3rd. time I've looked at this idea and each time I fond more reasons NOT to do one.

Previously I have said "We haven't tried to do a "T" top chop yet because that at the trailing edge of the "T" top "H" frame is right in the same area as some of our most serious cutting."

That statement still stands. However, the only way I can see doing a "T" top is if someone has a new uninstalled "T" top and wants it installed as part of a chop top, I'd consider it.

As far as sealing a "T" top..... that would be a serious problem for doing a car that alread has a "T" top. Everybody already knows how hard it is to keep a stock T" top car from leaking. When we lower the roof and lay back the windshield that will only cause more sealing problems.

I've been working on Fieros for a LONG time. I've done a lot of serious mods to Fieros and their engines. Convert, Chop Tops, stretches, all kinds of rebodies, engine swaps up the kazoo, suicide doors etc. I take pride in the fact that I've never screwed up someone's Fiero. Someof the Fieros I've worked on were very nice cars who's owners has a lot of $$$ invested in them & I haven't had anyone want to kill me because I screwed up his pride & joy.

I opt to keep this trend going, so I won't do any modification to someones Fiero that I wouldn't do to my own car.

Because of what I know about the 3 "T" top cars I have and what I know about Chop Tops, I'll pass on doing a "T" top for now.

At least until I have time to chop one of my own cars 1st.

Archie

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
Somebody give Archie a T-Top "slider" to work on!!! Somebody has got to know of one sitting in a field or something.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock