Started on: 02-08-2003 11:51 AM
Replies: 25
Last post by: bwayne on 02-27-2003 08:49 PM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2003 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
A while back I posted that I was looking to aquire another 1988 Fiero power steering rack. I did get it. It is slightly used and more than likely taken out from an executive driven 88 Fiero with the GM factory power steering. These power steering systems were all removed by GM before these used Fieros were sold to the public. I do not know the story on this rack and I may never know. Somehow some one had it in the used rack business and thru my contacts I was able to aquire it. Luckily the rack guy I deal with was able to identify it when he was at this place that had it. It looks to be in excellent condition but it is somewhat dirty and has some scratches etc. I will clean it up the best I can but I will not repaint or restore it. I will leave it as is. It is not for sale. For now I will loan it to Fred Bartemeyer who reciently aquired an 88 prototype preproduction front K member. He will mount it to this K member and display it at some Fiero shows. Now that I have a trailer I will also bring my new GM Fiero 1988 power steering rack along to some shows to display. Unfortunatly I do not have a pump. Maybe one day I'll find one?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2003 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Rodney,

Congratulations! Good eye, on the part of your "source".

Please say that you plan to repro these, some day.

------------------
Raydar

88 3.4 coupe. In progress.

Out of my mind. Back in 30 minutes.

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2003 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
PICS!!!!!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2003 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Rodney,

You keep teasing us with the 88 power steering rack. Please, please, PLEASE, consider reproducing the 88 power steering rack.

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2003 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIXXXX!!!
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to FieroLT1 My pip now works again.

These are pictures of my new 1988 power steering rack. Not the best pictures. The used rack I just aquired looks exactly the same.

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Rodney. The new Saturn ION comes with an Electric Power Steering pump. Seeing as how the Saturn Construction methods are similar to the Fiero, I would be willing to bet that the new Saturn pump is actually a modified Fiero Prototype, and could possibly be used for the 88 steering rack with minimal mods, if any.

Could you possibly do some research on the Schematics and Operational data on the Pump unit for the Saturn ION? There is a strong possibility that it would work, and an even stronger possibility that the steering rack from another GM Vehicle at the time (AKA the Chevrolet Citation) would bolt in place of the Fiero steering rack for earlier models.

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Synthesis

12207 posts
Member since Feb 2002
Turns out I was mistaken. I have been doing some research on the Ion power steering...
It uses a column mounted electric motor (The coils are around the column) and an electronic microprocessor to manage the power steering. Unfortunately, this would not work for our vehicles unless some serious modifications were made to the steering system. Namely the column would have to be adapted to fit the Fiero. Using the Rack and Pinion setup we already have, it would work, but again, you would have to adapt the column to fit.
Oh well, I tried.
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
I've seen a Unicorn! Thanks for the pics. Do I read you right Rodney, youhave TWO PS racks?

Just out of Curiosity, what are the part numbers for the racks? It looks like they use some of the same housings as the Rack and Pinion version with the exception of the yoke for the hydrolic lines.

How different is it? Have you dis-assembled one to see the inerds?

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
That is kool but can i ask one question why are u putting power steering on a fiero their is really no point .... but that is just me

J Sokol

------------------

rube

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubeSend a Private Message to rubeDirect Link to This Post
The same reason people do anything to their cars. They want to.
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
What is the mount on top of the rack for? My 88 manual rack has a mount like that but it is not used. Is it for use in other types of GM cars?
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
The top mount with the rubber ID is where the pump attached.
Tweek

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweekSend a Private Message to TweekDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroking:

That is kool but can i ask one question why are u putting power steering on a fiero their is really no point .... but that is just me

J Sokol

From what I have read on here before about these racks... They are a much quicker ratio, (I'm not sure of the numbers) I believe only one complete rotation of the steering wheel, lock to lock.

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweek:

From what I have read on here before about these racks... They are a much quicker ratio, (I'm not sure of the numbers) I believe only one complete rotation of the steering wheel, lock to lock.

Actually there were two different racks. One for the Coupe which had 19.2:1 gearing and one for the Formula and GT with 16.1:1 gearing.

Proportedly, the coupe had 3.3 turns (stop to stop) and the WS6 varient had 2.7 turns (stop to stop).

What was the RPO code though? I've heard NV7 for the pump and either N40 or N41 for the rack (depending on Coupe or WS6 version). Is that what you've all heard?

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
So the pump is electric? What does it look like and how do you know all this stuff about some thing that never went into production? How many were made? Can you post the info you have on it?
bushroot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bushrootSend a Private Message to bushrootDirect Link to This Post
Isn't the pump found on the Saturn EV-1? Or is that just another rumor
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

So the pump is electric? What does it look like and how do you know all this stuff about some thing that never went into production? How many were made? Can you post the info you have on it?

Actually it did go into production and they found their way onto a few Fieros in early 1988. But after GM announced that the Fiero would be cancelled GM did not want to maintain the VERY few PS systems that would end up on the cars. So they did a dealer recall. That is when they call the dealers they shipped the cars to and said, "rip 'em out!" A few GM execs had the PS for beta testing, some where for display, and some were warehoused for future development and projects. A few are out there...somewhere.

I've got some images somewhere. I'll dig 'em up and post them when I can.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
If I took my car in and they took out MY power steering they would have a raging mad man on ther hands! So what, they wont work on it I will, well if I had one that is. WHERE IS MY POWER STEERING?
larryemory

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larryemorySend a Private Message to larryemoryDirect Link to This Post
Maybe a stupid question but why power steering? My 87 GT would not be improved by PS.
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Maybe a stupid question but why power steering? My 87 GT would not be improved by PS.

I have the aftermarket power steering in my 1988 Mera and the difference is night and day. Fast 12.5:1 ratio. What a joy to drive. But I guess all of you that have NEVER driven a Fiero with the power steering have every right to cut it down. Please and I have said this many times. If you have never driven a Fiero with the power steering please do not rip on it. If you have a chance to drive a Fiero with the power steering one day you will surely like it. It was one of the best additions I did to my Mera.

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

...If you have never driven a Fiero with the power steering please do not rip on it. If you have a chance to drive a Fiero with the power steering one day you will surely like it. It was one of the best additions I did to my Mera.

I have *two* 88s that are just begging for power steering. (Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink. )

------------------
Raydar

88 3.4 coupe. In progress.

Out of my mind. Back in 30 minutes.

Garethster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GarethsterSend a Private Message to GarethsterDirect Link to This Post
Make that 3 GT's begging for one of these units.

SAY! NO! MORE!

Tom Corey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom CoreySend a Private Message to Tom CoreyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

[QUOTE]Maybe a stupid question but why power steering? My 87 GT would not be improved by PS.

I have the aftermarket power steering in my 1988 Mera and the difference is night and day. Fast 12.5:1 ratio. What a joy to drive. But I guess all of you that have NEVER driven a Fiero with the power steering have every right to cut it down. Please and I have said this many times. If you have never driven a Fiero with the power steering please do not rip on it. If you have a chance to drive a Fiero with the power steering one day you will surely like it. It was one of the best additions I did to my Mera.

[/QUOTE]

Looks like we won't ever have the chance either unless YOU reproduce these things. Come on Rodney, you've got a ton of us just waiting to buy one!!!! Please do it!!

------------------
Tom Corey
Melbourne, FL
87 Green T-Top GT 5Spd SBC V8
88 Yellow T-Top GT, 4.9L Caddy, 4T60E

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post02-27-2003 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
WOW I have seen the face of god! Well maybe it was jebus, Ahh either way Rodney, that is one heluva nice thing to see.
bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post
Rodney: Are the hose connections similar enough that you could swap out the Merkur rack in the Mera for the Fiero one? It'd be an interesting comparison.

As Darth Fiero already said, I found an MR2 EHPS pump and he was able to fabricate brackets so that one will work on my '84 instead of the pulley pump I've had before. It's mounted in the rear (above the transmission)which tends to cut down on the noise somewhat when the pump's on . . . I wonder what the few Fiero test cars were like with the pump up front--would the noise have been as prevalent as this Toyota one seems to be?

In any case, it would be really cool just to try and see how the original GM works . . . what do you think?

For those of you thinking that you want to do this, the technology exists and is proven, but the cost is always the problem--easily $1000 plus. But like Rodney says, if you've never had the chance to drive a Fiero with PS, it's a whole different experience. I know of half a dozen or so of them running around, so if you get the chance, try it out!

[This message has been edited by bwayne (edited 02-27-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock