Interest in Low Fuel 'Idiot" Light??? by cowans
Started on: 01-01-2003 10:24 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: cowans on 01-01-2003 07:23 PM
cowans

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
To those of you who own a V8, or to others who keep running out of gas, I have found a relatively cheep kit that attaches to the Fiero (GM) fuel sending wire and produce a Red 'Idiot' light warning you of low fuel. The actual 'critical point' is adjustable! I wouldn't think of doing this except that with a V8 and the Fiero (4 quart) gas tank, it seems I'm always at the fill-up station! The kit sells for about $35. once you include shipping etc. I am presently questioning a 'bulk' shipment but was curious as to whether there was any interest? Pls remember, this is a kit, meaning you must be a 'novice' with a soldering iron. Actually, it is very, very, basic skills required. So, any interest out there???
thanks, Sandy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spiff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpiffClick Here to visit Spiff's HomePageSend a Private Message to SpiffDirect Link to This Post
As long as I dont have to drop the tank, I would like a Fuel Idiot Light.
I have run out of gas never, ok once.....ok ok Twice. Darn faulty gas gauge.
It was not fun walking 3 miles to the gas station, in the snow, uphill...both ways.
Seriously that would be a nice addition for our cars.
Would it hook up to the dash (shift up light) or does it have its own light?
More info would help.
Is the price in Canadain dollars or American?

------------------

1988 Fiero Formula T-Top # 1008 of 1252 (5 Spd White/ Grey)
Click here to go to my Web site

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited 01-01-2003).]

Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
An idiot light would be nice but how would it work with any consistency?

The problem with the Fiero is that like most "cheap" GM cars it used cheap solutions; crappy plastic switches, poor electrical contacts, etc.

The fuel sending unit is no exception. Supposedly set from the factory at 0 to 90 ohms for 'empty' and 'full', relatively speaking. I have seen variations as high as 15 to 110 ohm!

That answers the question, "Why does my needle never reach 'E' and go WAY past 'F'"?

At what point do you decide to measure resistance that will work fo all cars? One guy may have two gallons left when another guy is on fumes for the same value.

It's OK if you want to take the time and trouble to drop your tank and adjust your sending unit values (I've done it, it's a big job). But is it worth the trouble? Not really.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

An idiot light would be nice but how would it work with any consistency?

The fuel sending unit is no exception. Supposedly set from the factory at 0 to 90 ohms for 'empty' and 'full', relatively speaking. I have seen variations as high as 15 to 110 ohm!

From the description of how it works it should be simple to tap into the sending wire, which is easily accessible behind the dash and since it's adjustable you dial in the resistance corresponding to "E" on your car. It should work as consistently as your gauge, (which although not very accurate) is faily consistent from one tank to the next.

I would be interested in one of these. I have a few spare idiot lights in my firebird dash. I might hook it to one of them, (maybe the airbag light)

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
Ok, to those that are interested.... Here are the links to the kit! http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3e13446709f41fd22740c0a87f9c06e5/Product/View/K4210 http://www.autospeed.com/A_1052/page1.html

The setup is simple, 3 wires, 1>12V, 1>grd, 1>spliced to fuel sender wire! Use an LED, or small red light included, or existing spare dash light....No need to REMOVE tank! But, I have a question to the electronic wizards out there.As GM sender uses 0<>90 ohms, will this warning light work? The Aussie Store seems to think so, but, I don't want to waste everyones' time & money to find out. As the Autospeed buildup suggests, this kit can be used for a # of different readouts!
thanks,
Sandy

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cowans:

But, I have a question to the electronic wizards out there.As GM sender uses 0<>90 ohms, will this warning light work? .

The advertisement doesn't say anything about 0 - 90 ohms so that makes me a little nervous. I think I would prefer a kit made in the US specifically for GM cars. But if someone wants to take a chance on this one and it works, be my guest!

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
Heck - read the autospeed article.

There's enough close up clean color shots there that you could etch your own board, and populate it with all the components! Only one I couldn't make out was the transistor, and I think that'd take about 5 minutes of flipping through an ECG catalog to match.

I'm pretty sure that the exact one they've got there wouldn't work here though - the steering wheels were all on the wrong side.

Tom Corey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom CoreySend a Private Message to Tom CoreyDirect Link to This Post
By the way the new GTO will be made in Austrailia. GM has been building cars there for a loooong time. I have one of these kits on order. As soon as I get it and install it, I'll post the results on the forum. I'm really tired of running out of gas!!!!!!!

------------------
Tom Corey
Melbourne, FL
87 Green T-Top GT 5Spd SBC V8
88 Yellow T-Top GT, 4.9L Caddy, 4T60E

[This message has been edited by Tom Corey (edited 01-01-2003).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Corey:

By the way the new GTO will be made in Austrailia. GM has been building cars there for a loooong time. I have one of these kits on order. As soon as I get it and install it, I'll post the results on the forum. I'm really tired of running out of gas!!!!!!!

Thanks!!

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Corey:

Tom, I, too, would like to hear your results. BTW, what did they charge you for shipping? Their website states $25.!!! I find that a little excessive for something that could fit in a large envelope!
Sandy

[This message has been edited by cowans (edited 01-01-2003).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Can you make a switch that would reset my trip meter when I open the fuel door?
I never go by the fuel gage.

------------------
My Home Page

PFF
System Bot
cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by watts:

I'm pretty sure that the exact one they've got there wouldn't work here though - the steering wheels were all on the wrong side.

Watts, Which 'WORD' did we lose you with??? heheheh!
Sandy

[This message has been edited by cowans (edited 01-01-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock