Started on: 09-13-2002 09:29 PM
Replies: 30
Last post by: batboy on 11-26-2002 11:45 AM
batboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Just received my 1979 "style" bolt on Mustang hood scoop today from M/P Motorsports. I was sort of disappointed. The area where the bolts are looks like a little kid just slopped a bunch of gunk onto the under side of the scoop and then stuck some bolts in. Some of the bolts are not even straight. There is no way the hood will fit flush against the deck lid (see pic).

Of course, I'm going to send an email to the guy that makes these and complain a little, but it's too much hassle sending it back. So, I started cutting, filing, and sanding on the thing. I made fairly good progress before it got too dark out. Looks like I'll be able to fix it ok. In fact, it should work out pretty good once I'm done, but it's quite time consuming since I want it done right.

Anyway, thought I'd give everyone a heads up in case you are thinking about buying a scoop from this guy. Be aware you'll have to do a bit of fitting and prep work to make it work right. Why does everything I buy for this Fiero require lots of time to modify and fit the part? Why can't things just be an easy bolt on? I will use this thread to document my progress on this project and post updates and pics later this weekend.

[This message has been edited by batboy (edited 09-13-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroGT87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT87Send a Private Message to FieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Batboy,

Sorry to hear that about the scoop. Once you get it finished I know you'll love it. I like the look of mine, something about the line of that scoop on the deck lid, it just looks awesome.

Earl R.

Wheels1

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wheels1Click Here to visit Wheels1's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wheels1Direct Link to This Post
Batboy, When you get it done, you can stop in hutch & help me when I get one... I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted!
Chris.

------------------

88 Formula
WTB White 88 Formula t-tops w/5spd, pw,pl,cc,a/c,tan int.

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Hey kids, I got the prep work done on the scoop. it turned out pretty good. I'm happy again. I bought a sanding disk for my 4" Makita high speed angle grinder. Wow, does that work nice on fiberglass. Hehehe, I felt like "Tim the toolman Taylor" today playing with all my power toys... hmmmm, I mean tools... (drill, saber saw, and grinder}.

Ok, here is my rear deck lid after I cut a hole in it. How do I finish removing the rest of the hump in the front?

Underneath that remaining hump part is a substantial brace. I sort of hate cutting into that brace, because I'd like to retain the strength, plus it's not going to be easy. Guess I'll try to remove as much of the upper part as possible and leave as much of the brace as possible. The hump has to go or else the scoop won't mount flush. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2002 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post

batboy

4943 posts
Member since Jun 99
I have the holes drilled and the scoop mocked up into place. The front part of the scoop sticks up a little because I haven't figured out what to do about removing the last part of that blasted hump.

I can't help but grin. This Mustang scoop and Dodge Shadow spoiler combination is looking great. Can't wait to see how it looks on the car. I think it's going to be beautiful once I get my new paint job.

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Well, I spent well over an hour searching the forum archives. The best info about mounting this Mustang style hood scoop was from some of DXR Dad's posts. He kind of pioneered this mod about three years ago.

He used a cut off wheel to remove the hump. He also mentioned that part of the inner brace needed to be cut. I figured that, didn't see anyway to avoid it. I'm going to try to leave as much of the brace as possible though.

Another thing he did that sounded cool and that I want to do too, was that he slit some rubber tubing, then glued it onto the lip of the deck lid hole. This makes a nice and neat raised area around the lip of the hole which helps prevent water from running directly into the engine compartment.

Finally, he recommends removing the metal RF shield from the under side of the hump and reinstalling it onto the under side of the scoop. I'm going to pass on that idea, because I have a carburated V8 and am not using the ECM. Those that are still using the ECM probably should retain the RF shield somehow though.

Hope to finish up the Batmobile hood scoop project tomorrow (Sunday).

DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!!!!! You did a good job.

I removed all of the hump, From the top, but left as much of the brace up under in the rear. If no the scoop would not sit flat.

In your first pic it looks like you left part of the hump in the rear?? Thans the part the needed to be cut out also but leave the brace under it!!!! you will have a flush mount!

Thanks
DXR_DAD

DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post

DXR_DAD

2440 posts
Member since Mar 99
From the underside your hole looks just like mine. Just cut the hump from the top!!!! and leave the brace there.

You got it right!!!

DXR_DAD

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks much Daddy, ol' friend. Glad I'm on the right track. Your advice and encouragement gave me much more confidence. I'll be going out soon the tackle the rest of this project. I appreciate your response.

------------------
BATBOY
1985 SE auto with a 350 Chevy V8 engine (Batmobile)
lowered, suspension mods, Grand Am brakes and wheels,
Trans Am hood louvers, side air scoop, DGP front spoiler,
front mounted battery, custom gauges, stereo mods, etc.

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post

batboy

4943 posts
Member since Jun 99
Got the rest of the hump removed and left as much of the inner brace as possible. I now have the hood scoop completely fitted and ready to bolt on. Just need to run into town for some rubber tubing to attach to the lip of the hole. After that's all done, I have to swap over the deck lid release solenoid, run the wire down the channel, and swap over the lock cylinder. I'll post another pic later when it's all done and on the car.

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post

batboy

4943 posts
Member since Jun 99
The Rear deck lid scoop project is officially finished. Sure took a lot longer than I expected, but it came out pretty darn good, if I must say so myself. Sure looks different than that funky luggage rack that used to be back there. Now if Twin Lakes Bob gets those side scoops and ground effects made for me later this month like he promised, I'll be getting close to sending this beast to the body shop.

PFF
System Bot
87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
Love the wing I have the same one on my 85 GT
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
Look's Great with the wing!! Are you going to 'smooth' it in??

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com www.CFOG-I.org

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2002 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Yep. I'm going to have the body shop run a bead of filler down the outer seams to "smooth" out it out a little.
DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2002 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
Yep!!!!! That's how I did it. Looks GOOOOOOD!

DXR_DAD

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2002 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by batboy:
Yep. I'm going to have the body shop run a bead of filler down the outer seams to "smooth" out it out a little.

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com www.CFOG-I.org

Dan Robinson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2002 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan RobinsonSend a Private Message to Dan RobinsonDirect Link to This Post
Hey Batboy, how did you get rid of the holes from your luggage rack? Looks like someone tried to do it before I got it but they have just popped up.
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2002 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks DXR_Dad, I must say your archived posts and encouragement was quite invaluable.

Well, I cheated and bought an "unholey" rear deck lid (sounds evil, huh?). I lucked out and found a decent one at a local salvage yard for a mere $35 that just happened to be the same color silver. The only thing wrong with it was that it had some minor damage that will be easily repaired around the lock cylinder.

I now have an extra, perfectly good rear deck lid, complete with luggage rack. I would be willing to give this gem away for free if someone could actually use it. Decided that I didn't want to attempt filling the holes on my old one.

There are about four of us now with Dodge Shadow spoilers and several forum members with the Mustang style hood scoop, but to my knowledge, I'm the only one that has combined the two.

I had considered several scoops and was leaning towards the Mopar sixpack style scoop for a while, but Tina suggested the Mustang scoop might look better with my spoiler and she was right (as usual). Besides, I decided the Mopar scoop was too tall (I like seeing out my back window when I look in my mirror).

Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2002 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
Looks darn good
ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2002 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
Looking great Bat. Are you planning on filling in the slotted area, the area under the spoiler? Also, it appears as if the spoiler could be split in half and widend maybe a half inch? Thanks for any feedback, I'm also considering this spoiler for my choptop.
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2002 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all, you're making me blush. Reckon it's not a bad job considering it was strictly low budget and all done by yours truly (a hick from the plains of Kansas).

Hey Choptop, I do not plan on filling the spoiler slots. I like the way it is. As for making it longer, that's way beyond my humble skills. Besides, it fits perfectly right now in my opinion.

The forward edge of the spoiler mounting surface is only about 1/4 inch from the edge of the deck lid side. Really not much room to stretch it. But hey, feel free to customize one to suit your fancy.

PFF
System Bot
Speedlogic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2002 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedlogicSend a Private Message to SpeedlogicDirect Link to This Post
Hey BatBoy it looks real good and you can do any thing with confidence I am going to start the same thing tomorrow as a matter of fact I just marked it out on the rear decklid.
My trunk had a carriage on it and I took it off filled in the holes and mounted the wing,I also did the Trans Am side scoops and that came out wonderful likewise the Warber front hood and the 300ZX hood mod and it looks terrific Smoooooth eat your heart out (just kidding) you are the bravest when it comes to body mods.I have just finished building my 4.9 and it is sitting just waiting to install it was planningto take it to Daytona but I am too far behind at this stage...take care
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2002 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
that's what make s the Fiero so cool...the true Hot Rodding customizing things owners do! No order-it-out-of-a-catalog Honda nonsense! This mod is on the money!
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2002 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Hey thanks for all the kind words. Was sort of surprised someone dragged this old thread back up to the top. Here is a pic of what it looks like now. I have the new rocker/scoops but they're not installed yet. Hope to have the new engine installed next spring and then repaint it. I'll be cruising in style then. Speedlogic, those mods sound cool, post some pics when you are done.

------------------
BATBOY
Mustang hood scoop on deck lid, Dodge Shadow rear spoiler

[This message has been edited by batboy (edited 11-25-2002).]

FieroGT87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2002 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT87Send a Private Message to FieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Looking good.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2002 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
gotta bump this, just looks so...factory
HummelHund

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2002 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HummelHundSend a Private Message to HummelHundDirect Link to This Post
Car looks awesome!!!

One question: what year Grand Am are those wheels from, I really like the look of those.

------------------

87' Fiero GT 5-spd
84' Fiero SE 2m4 4-spd SOLD

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2002 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
The 15" wheels are from a 1995 Grand Am.

Since y'all made the big mistake of complimenting my car, I'll post another pic. It's actually in sad need of a new paint job, but I'm now going to wait to do that next spring after the new hipo engine's installed.

------------------
BATBOY
Mustang hood scoop on deck lid, Dodge Shadow rear spoiler

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2002 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
batboy, car is looking good. The scoop really looks cool! Later.

Amir

------------------

1987 GT 5 spd: 2.8L
(15.57 @ 87mph)
1988 Formula 5 spd: 3.4L
(15.56 @ 84mph)

2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2002 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Batboy!

Hope my decklid scoop turns out that nice.

------------------
Jeff
AOL IM : Only2xsess

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2002 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Amir is way too kind. He has a drop dead gorgeous, show winning car, and he's seen how crappy my car really looks up close, but he still gives me compliments. What a nice guy. My car is still sort of in the project stage, but I'm getting to the point where I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel (after 3-1/2 years, it's about time).
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock