Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Anyone want Oliver's HUD digital speedo?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Anyone want Oliver's HUD digital speedo? by Riceburner98
Started on: 09-27-2002 02:01 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 09-30-2002 05:52 PM
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2002 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Looking to see who's interested in getting one of these. If you don't know what it is, go here: http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/hud.html to check it out. I've talked with Oliver and as he no longer offers complete units, he agreed to let me build them. He still sells the processor, if you want to do one totally yourself however. Anyway, I wanted to see if there was any interest in them; complete units, or possibly a do-it-yourself kit, or just the board, just the chip, etc.. Price on a complete unit would probably be $50-$60 or so. The programmed chips are available (I believe for $20 incl. shipping), and a bare board would likely be the same. Costs a few $$ to get the boards done when doing a small run, so I want to find out how many, if any, would sell before I start on this.. Any questions, feel free to post here or email me @ riceburner98@attbi.com. I'm thinking about wiring some with a small remote display that could be mounted somewhere else also, instead of being a HUD, you could mount it in the cluster for a digital speedo, maybe in an unused shift-indicator hole?? Something to think about.

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '87 GT, a work in progress!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2002 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
No thanks, already have something like that.

cire36

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2002 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cire36Send a Private Message to cire36Direct Link to This Post
If by "complete unit" means every single thing needed to install, then yes, I would be very interested in one. I have seen several threads on this and have been wondering wher and how to get one. Please keep me informed, evenif it is not 100% complete, as long as I know hwere to get the parts to complete it, I am interested.
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2002 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Wow, nice dash! I think I'd go for Carbon fibre if possible, but WOW. And yes, complete would be 3 wires having to be connected for power, ground, and speedo signal, somewhere behind the cluster. Not sure on mounting, I believe the sqare box that it fits in either friction-fits behind the cluster, or it's sticky-taped there.. Or someone could come up with a different mounting method. The electronics are the easy part for me. I love the look of digital dashes, but I'm going to put in a Saturn cluster, which will be a challenge in itself. Out of curiosity, is that cluster from Pisa, or a different one? Looks great!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2002 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riceburner98:
Out of curiosity, is that cluster from Pisa, or a different one? Looks great!

It's from this Dutch company called Pennock Automation, it's the FDD-X1 digital dash.

It still isn't sold in the States though...

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2002 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Anybody notice you don't need a key to turn the ignition on in Cliff's car?

------------------

1988GT T-Tops, 5spd, everything but power seat

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2002 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
It still isn't sold in the States though...

Tease

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2002 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:
Anybody notice you don't need a key to turn the ignition on in Cliff's car?

Cliff's car has the "feature" where you can remove the key after you unlock the column.

I always thought that "feature" was due to the lock cylinder wearing out, but Cliff swears it's a feature documented in the owner's manual.

Oh and I would be interested in the digital speedo HUD

------------------

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 09-27-2002).]

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2002 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
The FDD-X1 was at Carlisle, wasn't it?? Now that I saw it, I remember going to that website a while back. There was a Fiero there with it turned on, and a display with some info about it.. I think it was in "demo-mode" or something, if I remember right the speedo and tach were moving.. I like the 0-60 function, that's niiice.. As for the HUD unit, I'm drawing up a new circuit board, in 2 parts. There will be the processor half, and a plug-in external display part. That way you can plug in a "reverse-wired" display for HUD use, or a "straight-wired", smaller display that can be mounted just about anywhere as a digital speedo.. Or get just the processor unit and wire up your own display half.. More flexible that way I think. I actually used it in my old Eagle Summit, and cut a square in the speedo face and mounted the display in there... I've got a few people interested so far, so it looks like I'll make them. Cool!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2002 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riceburner98:
The FDD-X1 was at Carlisle, wasn't it?? Now that I saw it, I remember going to that website a while back. There was a Fiero there with it turned on, and a display with some info about it.. I think it was in "demo-mode" or something, if I remember right the speedo and tach were moving..

Huh? I have never, ever sold one outside the Netherlands, but the FDD-X1 indeed has a demo-mode where the speedometer and tach display increasing values. And it has two info displays. I wonder how the heck it got there (although I do have an idea since not many people know how to activate the demo mode).

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2002 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I didnt know the keyless feature was a modification. I do know that mid 50's GM cars didnt need a key either if you didnt lock it out. Myself, I hate the deal about holding up the lever to get the key out. Anyone know how to fix that?
PFF
System Bot
cunninghamsean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2002 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cunninghamseanSend a Private Message to cunninghamseanDirect Link to This Post
The one at carlisle is from AEX Electronics. WWW.aex-electronics.com

Base Package: $ 2,600

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2002 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cunninghamsean:

Hey! They even compare their dash to mine! Cool! Considering they have never even seen mine up close and are quoting features completely wrong.

Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2002 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Wow... Yeah, that was definitely the one there. I must have got the pages confused, because I do remember seeing the FDD-X1 website before.. But yeah, that was definitely the one at Carlisle.. My mistake. And Wow.. that's a pricetag..
Smokin' GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2002 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smokin' GTSend a Private Message to Smokin' GTDirect Link to This Post
$2,600 for a digital dash that doesn't look even half as cool as Cliff's and isn't really THAT much better? Where do I sign up?!

------------------
Blue 87 GT-Spintech Exhaust, DXR Intake, Addco Swaybars, Polyurethane, Autometer Gauges, Underdrive Pulleys, and them sticky-ass Z-rated tires

Freshj

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2002 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a DIY kit, Soldering is fun!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2002 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cunninghamsean:
The one at carlisle is from AEX Electronics. WWW.aex-electronics.com

Excuse me, but I'd like to cancel my order...I think I'd rather have a whole 'nother Fiero for that $2600 versus a digital dash. Where is the HUD for $50 -$60?

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 09-28-2002).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
go to the junkyard and get a complete digital dash from Bonneville SSEi.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
go to the junkyard and get a complete digital dash from Bonneville SSEi.

How much would it be to get one over here? I'd like to take a peek at such a thing.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock