Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

New Driver Here - Need Tips On Shifting My 5 Speed by Dude16
Started on: 07-03-2002 01:14 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: JD86GT350 on 07-03-2002 06:43 AM
Dude16
No longer registered
Report this Post07-03-2002 01:14 AM   Direct Link to This Post
Ok I am 16, so I just recently started driving. I have an 87 Black Coupe 5 speed. I put in zeon lights up front yesterday, damn it looks so nice when I lift the regular lights out plus the zeons, looks like ferrari ( people pull over and let me pass, then they realize it is only a fiero, haha )

Okay, my shifting problem is off the line. I can't beat a 88 cavaliar off the line, not even close. Okay sure my fiero is only 4 cyclinder. Put whenever I tried to go fast off a light I stall the damn piece of **** . My mom has an automatic 93 cavaliar and damn I can drive off the line easier, just press the fuking gas. But my fiero, i alway stall, cause my clutch, I need to let the car start going for a bit till I totally release it. 2th, 3rd,4th, 5th gears are good, ( except sometimes I throw it into 3rd from 4th when I am trying to go into 5th )......so the stalling....is it my driving or do I need a tune up or something?, cause fuk hills are hard, I rev it up to 4500rmp to get it going up a hill in first ( from stopped position ) - my handbrake doesn't work either so I get pissed off when some fuking loser drives up to my bummer on a light going uphill, I gotta rev the thing 4500-5000 rmp and hope I don't stall letting the clutch go.

well tips now.......stuff above hasn't been grammar checked........

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2002 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
Keep praticing, you will eventually get the hang of it.
John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2002 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm. Sounds a little low on power. 4500RPM is almost red line... I would think that you would be burning up tires doing that. My '89 Olds Calais 2.5 5spd would roast the tires if I did that (FWD).

Have you done a basic tune uip yet?

fropuff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2002 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fropuffSend a Private Message to fropuffDirect Link to This Post
..people pull over and let me pass, then they realize it is only a fiero..

Just wait until it's an off-duty cop. There isn't supposed to be red or blue lights of any kind on the front of your car...

..I need to let the car start going for a bit till I totally release it..

Try feathering the clutch a little. Don't do it by lifting your foot off the clutch and then pushing the gas; let the clutch up slowly and push the gas slowly.. It will take some practice.

..cause fuk hills are hard, I rev it up to 4500rmp to get it going up a hill in first ( from stopped position ) - my handbrake doesn't work either so I get pissed off when some fuking loser drives up to my bummer on a light going uphill, I gotta rev the thing 4500-5000 rmp and hope I don't stall letting the clutch go.

Wait until the retard isn't looking, and push the clutch in. Roll back into him, and get out holding your neck and sue his ass for rearending you. Or, drop the clutch in front of him, but don't rev that Duke to 4500 or you'll need an engine/tranny swap soon!

And, you aren't going to stall it by letting the clutch out at 4500, unless you're in 5th gear or something. In fact, you could probably release it all the way quickly, and your tires would be ablaze.

[This message has been edited by fropuff (edited 07-03-2002).]

Wipe0ut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2002 03:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
Practice, practice practice. I know for a first car the Fiero sure does take some getting used to (both my parents, stick shift veterans, stalled a standard Fiero we were looking at when they first drove it). Don't worry about rolling back much, you will get the hang of the clutch soon and you won't roll back much at all.
Azarael

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2002 04:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AzaraelSend a Private Message to AzaraelDirect Link to This Post
Practice, practice, practice. Yes, but also get a tune up and get everything checked out ... I was stalling my fiero at first alot. I got the hang of it and all even with a problem I didn't know about, it was the starter that was actually giving me trouble, heh. After that it was cake.

------------------
1988 Fiero - Waiting on Twin t04 3.8 v6 Swap
VROOOM!

JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2002 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Direct Link to This Post
it could be you, or it might be the car. Different vehicles can have vastly different clutches. I drove a Jeep once that was so damn easy to drive, and then back to my Ranger, which I wathced the previous owner stall once after he owned the thing for years. Practice will help!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock