Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Real photo of 5" do it yourself choptop (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Real photo of 5" do it yourself choptop by 87FieroGTx
Started on: 04-14-2002 12:42 PM
Replies: 68
Last post by: 87GTBro on 04-16-2002 11:26 PM
White88cpe
No longer registered
Report this Post04-15-2002 01:04 AM   Direct Link to This Post
some angles dont look bad, others look as if a tree fell on it.

------------------
Ray - rturner@fierosite.com - http://www.fierosite.com/
1988 Stage 2 Aero Coupe - 1985 Mustang 3.8 Convertable

IP: Logged
sloth85GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sloth85GTSend a Private Message to sloth85GTDirect Link to This Post
You know sir.........I don't like it.

It's too flat. Plus I have a question regarding the windows, do they roll down? Will they ever?

I DO however really respect someone with the balls to take on such a project, you don't really know what it'll look like till you try it.

------------------

Dan
1985 Silver GT

400HP LT1 Conversion has begun......

RJONES

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RJONESSend a Private Message to RJONESDirect Link to This Post
Here's hoping i get them too also working on rear power window to drop behind seats with relocation of ecm
87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
No matter how much I don't like it I COULD NEVER DO AS GOOD OF A JOB!!!

I think with nice wheels, 2" drop, finished bodywork ect. it will look nicer. Maybe put GT ground FX on it?

Either way it's "COOL"

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
I sure wish I had the time, money and talent to do that. Good Job!
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:
The front of the roof is indeed higher than the back. Look where the roof panel joins the rear roof panel. ....

Welcome to the Forum Ron. I Love Chop Tops. Good luck on your project.

Don't worry about the roof being higher in the front. There is no law against that. I just snapped this picture of a GT40 at the Houston Auto Show and that sloping roofline looks awesome!

------------------
1988 Coupe
Fiero - It's like an Actual Miniature Car

jubjub2m6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
User Banned

Report this Post04-15-2002 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jubjub2m6Click Here to visit jubjub2m6's HomePageSend a Private Message to jubjub2m6Direct Link to This Post
i dont know i guess u have to be like under 5foot to sit in that...as it is im 6-3 and my head is about a inch or 2 at most away from the roof that being stock! i couldnt imagine i thik the guy needs to buy a t top kit and put t tops on it so a normal person can get in it

------------------

86SE Gold 4spd Modified
VROOOOOOM!!

FLASHY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FLASHYSend a Private Message to FLASHYDirect Link to This Post
Well I say it looks dang good! It'll need some adjustments but in the end I know it can be one awesome looking car. Look how much better it already looks with a few minor adjustments I made on Photoshop...

BEFORE

AFTER

------------------

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Bout an inch and a half too low for me... just dont look right!

------------------
"Raced That, Wrecked Better"

~In Memory Of Jesse Cesek~ 1980-2000
Co-Founder Of ~ NEO Fiero Club (North East Ohio)
AOL IM: BoostedLoser
1985 GT ~ Purple, Fastback, Black and Yellow Interior, Planning 4G63 Turbo DSM swap for it!
1997 Mitsu Eclipse GSX ~ Maroon w/ Hella Balls!(GSX = AWD, Turbo) DOA on 12/10/2000
1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS ~ soon will be turboed

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
no flames from me. in fact i've registered there to ask about it. i have a chopper that seems to have come from nowhere. i was wondering how you're going to do your side windows. mine also slopes down a little and i've made it a little worse playing with a sunroof mod. i'm hoping i can somehow get it smoothed out enough to where it just looks like the 2 humps in the roof of the last gen rx7's. just fix it in the mix.
obsessedwithfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for obsessedwithfierosSend a Private Message to obsessedwithfierosDirect Link to This Post
i preferably dont like the chop top. epsecially since its already pretty low. and since i am 6'7 i just got enough room. lol. i bet once u fix that red fiero up will look good.
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Not my style and I'm 6' 5" so not my size either, but you gotta appreciate the work. Be nice to see how it turns out when done, keep us informed and don't forget the pics.....

Dave E http://www.ltlfrari.com

87 Pegasus

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 PegasusSend a Private Message to 87 PegasusDirect Link to This Post
good work but a little to low for me...

------------------

IF YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKN'!!!
Mike Kroyer
N.I.F.E. Activity Director '02

FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
I plan to have my GT chopped 3". I applaude your hard work, and agree that it could be very cool once finished. You are probably getting more nay's than yay's because in it's current state... It looks like it was saved from the crusher in the nick of time.

Post more pics as it progresses. It is interesting.

Greg

crazyd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
I guess nobody else has noticed this yet, but it doesn't make a bit of difference how tall or short you are. It has cool-looks potential, but realistically this can't be anything but a show car. You can't drive that on the street. The windshield glass is at too steep an angle for adequate visibility. Aside from being unable to see stoplights and stopsigns properly, you've probably got about 6 inches of vertical view (at most), and about 30" of glass through which to view it. The Fiero's windshield (or any other car's) was never designed to have distortionless viewing at that steep an angle. It'd be like trying to drive looking through the bottom of a Coke bottle.

Dave

------------------
- Silver '88 GT 5-speed (1 of 139) w/cammed 3.4
- Black '88 GT 5-speed ZZ430TPI at Archie's
- '87 & '98 Corvette Coupes

Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RJONES:
sorry most of you don't like my car ..did i get invited just to get car bashed or to accually hear some helpful hint on what to do with my first every attempt at fiero mods

Doesn't matter if a few don't like it ., its your car. Kinda of low for me becuase I am 6' 4" even with a sunroof my seat is ALL the way back and my head is about 1" from the roof !!! I couldn't even chop an inch !!!
Good luck and let us see the finished product !!

stsmithgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stsmithgtClick Here to visit stsmithgt's HomePageSend a Private Message to stsmithgtDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure the pics don't give the workmanship justice. From the multicolor in the paint and body work can create illusions of warpage. It looks like it has some potential for a lot of fun. Isn't that what your doing it for?

Are these lines straight.

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
WOW! That is an amazing windshield angle! Curious... what is visibilty like? You started it.... you def need to finish it. I know once you lower the suspension, the car will look a lot more fitting.

One of the joys fo the Fiero is personalizing it. We have all seen things from 3 wheeled Fiero trikes to extended body Fiero's. Engine ideas from a bored over 289 Ford to a Turbo'd Mitsu... run with it and good luck.

As for legality... Man... I bet 1/4 of the forum has something illegal in/on their car in some form or fashion. "Off-road" cat bypasses, some light kits are illegal, smog and emissions/EGR tamperings, clear/no reflectors, non functioning e-brake, limo tint... need I continue? "He who has no sin, let him throw the first stone" The ribbing you get on the forum is just that... you'll find a lot of help and ideas here, as well as a few barbs, but use the good- ignore the bad- and maybe barb a little back. Some of us will take it personally bcz we think of our car so highly, but if you rcv it... you might as well give it.

Heck some on here don't even own a Fiero! Too low or not, your ahead of them already.
BTW, I'm 6'1 and getting in and out of the Great Blue Chop is not a pretty sight. Love the look, but Joel's car gave me temporary scoliosis!

Good luck and Welcome!

------------------
If life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into a water pistol and squirt it into other peoples eyes. It will especially burn if they recently had LASIK.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
To me the wheel wells gap look almost the same as the windows opening which makes it unbalanced. Lowering it will fix that. Anyway you could get the trophy of the most extreme chopped Fiero! I admire you for undertaking such a major modification. As a work in progress it looks rough but as seen in several PS pics it has the right potential to become a unique piece. Go for it!

------------------
Alex4mulas :-)
NO2! 3.4!

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RJONES:
sorry most of you don't like my car ..did i get invited just to get car bashed or to accually hear some helpful hint on what to do with my first every attempt at fiero mods

1st off, Welcome to the Forum!

Just thought I'd let you know that I read your thread at Ari's also... and I think you may be overreacting a bit to the response you recieved here. (specifically your line about your 1st and probably last visit here as well as us being "less civilized"). Try to understand that there are over 4500 members here (no offense, but Ari's has a bit fewer at 103- and I'm one of 'em too) and that you'll never please everyone.

Don't take what everyone else says quite so seriously. I think it's great & amazing what you've done to your car- I've never seen a choptop up close, but I will at the end of next month. Just build your car the way you like it... and come here for tips and advice. If someone doesn't like your car- so what, you may not like theirs!

BTW: I was reading your other thread... you mentioned the quarter window shattering like saftey glass. If your window was original to the car (or from another '84) it was glass. They didn't start using plexi until 1985! BTW: you may want to contact Paul McKibben ( http://www.fierosails.com ) about getting a new plexi window that could be more easily cut (or he may even be able to make one for you!).

Just stick around and give the forum a chance... you came here with something creative and new- not everyone is going to like it (especially when you're not done yet), but there are plenty who will!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:
As for legality... Man... I bet 1/4 of the forum has something illegal in/on their car in some form or fashion. "Off-road" cat bypasses, some light kits are illegal, smog and emissions/EGR tamperings, clear/no reflectors, non functioning e-brake, limo tint... need I continue?

I got at least one of these illegalities in my car but I'm not saying which one

This Chop shows a lot of potential, keep us posted Dude!

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... headlights, taillights, exhaust... I'm certainly not holding anyone to strict "legality" standards
Bobert

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobertSend a Private Message to BobertDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Ron. Looks like you could possibly use some body parts. I have an 84 SE that I will be parting out soon (special deal for chop top enthusiasts).LMK if you are interested.

------------------
'84 Black Indy

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
RJones, welcome to the forum. I hope you continue to document and share your progress with the forum. If you have ever attending one of the larger Fiero events you will find out that many Fiero enthusiast are big fans of modified Fieros.
You'll also find many helpful individuals here willing to help you troubleshoot, find parts, and maintain your car. So stick around, you might actually begin to like the people here.
AgaricX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AgaricXClick Here to visit AgaricX's HomePageSend a Private Message to AgaricXDirect Link to This Post
I kinda like it. I'd love to see it dropped 2"...

I'm 6'3", so I wouldn't fit too well I don't think.

How's the visibility? Do you have like 4" of vertical viewable area?

------------------

'85 SE 3800SC 5 Spd
I WANT A FASTBACK!!!

fix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2002 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fixClick Here to visit fix's HomePageSend a Private Message to fixDirect Link to This Post
Ron,
Welcome to the forum. Concerning the sail panel issue, you might want to try a smooth plexiglass one like "lildevil" made. There was a recent thread dealing with it. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/016309.html

As for the rest of the car, i think it has a lot of potential and will eventually look very good. Best of luck to you.

FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2002 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
You really need to finish your project, and get it to Fiero shows. That's where you will get the most attention. I would love a picture of 3 Fiero's in a row... Yours, then Archie's old blue chop top, then a nice stock Fiero. It would look like Darwin's evolution of the Fiero GT. heh

Greg

RJONES

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2002 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RJONESSend a Private Message to RJONESDirect Link to This Post
thanks fiero friends sorry if i got off on wrong foot but always ussally had good response on all cars i've built..but guess can't win everyone over ..trunks back on and working on reshapeing roof line hadn't really noticed until it was brought up..i also have a stock 84 will try to get pic of both togther to show differences
87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2002 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
I think if you just lean the windshield down just a little more it will line up nicely. Of course you will have to trim the roof panel up a bit.

Install lowering springs on it and you could probably drive underneath semi truck trailers like they did in "The Fast and Furious"!

Ask Arch how he went about lowering the seats in the stinger too. That will give you a little more head room.

------------------
87GTBro
AOL IM: GTFiero86Dan
'86 GT 4 speed
'87 GT Auto

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors