Started on: 12-28-2001 12:04 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Formula88 on 12-28-2001 02:51 PM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Ok, I want to put a late model OEM CD radio in my Fiero. The UP3 AM/FM/CD with 7 band EQ is the one I'm looking at. I sometimes also find the Monsoon version of this head unit on Ebay. Does anyone have any info on the Monsoon setup? Does it use external amps or amplified speakers (like the old Delco/Bose system)? Can I plug in a Monsoon head unit the same as a regular UP3? The plugs on the back of the units look identical. I figure, if I can use the Monsoon, I'll get better sound quality, and more power, but I don't know what the differences between it and the UP3 headunit are.

I'll probably run with some good Infinity or Rockford speakers and haven't decided what to do about a sub, yet. I'll start with swapping in the head unit, and then add speakers and sub later. Right now I need the CD player more than I need better speakers.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
The late model Monsoon radio will fit in the stock with little modification but you'll need a plug adapter and a antenna adapter to make it work. I bought mine from a guy in Texas but I think he sold his business. I've heard that these adapters are available through GM as well but, I have never verified. To make the radio fit you must remove the metal tab at the back of the plastic frame because the Monsoon is longer than a stock unit. Otherwise, it's a simple "bolt in" project. I even hooked mine up to the factory subwoofer. For more details, try the search engine on this forum.

Good Luck,

------------------
Roy :D
Just another stock Blue 87 GT
Suncoast Fieros

JUST ADDED: 1988 GT w/ T-Tops, 5-Speed, and Performance Sound.

tgowens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tgowensClick Here to visit tgowens's HomePageSend a Private Message to tgowensDirect Link to This Post
Formula88, there is not really a difference between the Monsoon and the UP3 - they both perform the same and use the same plug/adapter (which, by the way, is available from a GM dealer - the price is around $18.50 for the radio adapter and the antenna adapter - the newer unit uses a smaller lead-in than our cars have)

Also, Roy is right on removing the bracket - it's held onto the console support by two aluminum rivits - just stick a large flat blade screwdriver under the bottom of the bracket and twist sharply and it will pop out. The reason for removing it is because the newer style radio uses a 21 pin plug mounted horizontally rather than the older configuration of a 12 pin plug mounted vertically. Not removing the bracket will cause the newer style plug to pop loose on one side which will result in intermittent power to the radio.

I have installed several of these (and I use them in all of my Fieros) and have them all wired to the stock sub-woofer. There are a couple of little tricks to wiring them but if you need any help, call me toll free at 866-343-7648 and I can step you through it.

(Ask OldLar - he called me and his is now installed and working like a champ!)

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Cool. Thanks for the info, guys. I already knew about the physical bolting in of the unit, and the adapter for the wiring harness. I found that out when checking on the UP3. My concern was if the Monsoon was internally different so that it wouldn't work if I plugged it in (i.e. external amps required, etc.).

Thanks!

falconhulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falconhulkSend a Private Message to falconhulkDirect Link to This Post
You have to be careful buying the Monsoon unit off ebay. They have a sceurity circuit that lock s them out and they will not work. You guys that are running them, how did you mange that? I know they can be pulled from junk yards but they will not work when installed.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2001 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
You're referring to "TheftLok". That's a number code that the owner has to put in to lock the unit. That way, if power is ever taken off the unit (i.e. it's removed from the car) you have to put the code in to unlock it. If the unit doesn't have a TheftLok code set, it'll work just fine. The dealer can also unlock one, for a fee. Most ebay autioneers list whether or not the code has been set. This is not unique to Monsoon systems, but is on all late-model GM radios.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock