Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Not bad for a winter car eh? (Warning, lots of pics)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Not bad for a winter car eh? (Warning, lots of pics) by AkursedX
Started on: 12-16-2001 03:21 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: skitime on 12-17-2001 05:30 PM
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2001 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
Well finally here are the pics of my winter ride.

This is what it started out as:

Here are shots of all of the rot in the wheelwell area. (This is after the sand blasting)

More pics coming......

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2001 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
This is the new fender. The underneath of that was sandblasted and painted as well.

Here are the pics of the rewelded, and re-sheet-metaled area after painting.

The battery tray area, and the area near the air cleaner assembly were also sandblasted and got new sheetmetal

AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2001 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

AkursedX

2890 posts
Member since Aug 2000
And here is what it looks like today....

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2001 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
Nice '88 GT clone! It looks like my 16K mile '88 GT, so at least you got the color combo right!

btoth

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2001 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for btothSend a Private Message to btothDirect Link to This Post
My car resembles the first pics. I just got my rust fixed. I wish it looked like the bottom pics!
AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2001 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
Here are the stats of the car. 1987 GT, 84k miles. Auto. PW,PL,PM, cruise (doesn't work yet), A/C (Doesn't work yet), and Sunroof.

Things that were done to it.
-Sandblasted, welded and repainted almost all of the underbody.
-All new ball joints all around.
-New rear calipers
-New rotors and pads all around
-New front-upper control arm bushings
-New KYB shocks in the front
-New oil pressure sending unit
-New plugs wires and rotor (Bosch Platnium +4's, Splitfire 8mm, and Conrad cap and rotor)
-New paint-job (obviousley)
-New headlight
-Came with Kenwood 4x6's in the back, and I added Kenwood 4" component speakers to the front with a Kenwood KDC 3011 CD player I had.
-Has 88GT rims on it for the time-being. (My winter tires come in on wednesday, and those will be mounted on the original GT rims.
-Getting a new catalytic converter from Rodney by tuesday hopefully.
-New O2 Sensor and EGR valve
-New dog bone, w/poly

And the grand total for all of this, including the price of the car......1646 dollars and counting

Future work:
-New Rod bearings and high volume oil pump, (The oil pressure runs low)
-Polyurethane busings all around.
-Alignment
-New Tranny mount

This is probably going to be my summer car as well because I probably won't have enough money saved up to finish my engine in my 88GT, so I wanted to make this car nice and pretty, and reliable for the time-being, which it has been.
I just need to fix a couple more glitches (Cruise, A/c, and the temperature guage) and it will be in great condition!

------------------

[This message has been edited by AkursedX (edited 12-16-2001).]

My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2001 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Well done. You did a job you can be proud of! A+++
VeeSixGeeTee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2001 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VeeSixGeeTeeSend a Private Message to VeeSixGeeTeeDirect Link to This Post
I like

------------------
Mike
85 GT 4sp(Sleeping)
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2001 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
Nice work. I like the Repair work you did. Looks great.

Scott

------------------
Fierokid's Web site:
http://www.angelfire.com/sports/sfiero

AIM: Fierokid87

Neal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2001 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NealClick Here to visit Neal's HomePageSend a Private Message to NealDirect Link to This Post
Looks great, nice job on the repairs!

I have a questin about the sand blasting, did you pay someone to do it, or do it yourself? What gets used for the actual job?

Im used to media blasting cabinets so the whole sandblasting the underbody is new to me, wire brushes are however all to familiar...

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2001 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Looks *GREAT* man! Glad to see another one resurected!

Wow, that was some rust.... thank goodness we have plastic body pannels!

Best!
Ben

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red           "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver                     -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2001 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Wow!
Looks good. Congrats!

------------------
Raydar

From the Department of Redundancy Department.

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2001 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Great restoration! You definitely deserve an "atta-boy" and a pat on the back! The car looks great now.

------------------

AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2001 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neal:
[B]

I have a questin about the sand blasting, did you pay someone to do it, or do it yourself? What gets used for the actual job?

B]

I did the sandblasting myself with a heavy duty sandblaster running at about 125psi.

All I use for the actual job is Quikrete (sp?) Fine Grade Sand. You can find it around pretty readily.

I also have an industrial air dryer that helps alot. My air compressor likes to shoot out alot of water and the sand would get all binded up, but with my new dryer, that stuff never happens to me anymore.

And thanks to everyone else for the compliments This was my second big restoration job. I also did one on a 1988 Dodge Diplomat (That one required a new engine as well). But I feel that this one came out alot better. It was about 3 months of weekend work, and it was well worth it.

Brandon86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2001 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brandon86SESend a Private Message to Brandon86SEDirect Link to This Post
Great job, just one complaint. You said that's a winter car, and when I look at the pics of what it looks like "now", I don't see winter. I see green grass, and no snow. I'm just razzing ya though!

Brandon

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2001 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brandon86SE:
Great job, just one complaint. You said that's a winter car, and when I look at the pics of what it looks like "now", I don't see winter. I see green grass, and no snow. I'm just razzing ya though!

When I started reading your post I expected the complaint to be that it was too nice to be his "winter car"

Well, It's the middle of December and there is no snow on the ground here (even after our record-breaking snowstorm a few weeks ago). Most of the grass is still green here!

Until this past weekend I've never driven my Fiero in the middle of December! It was kinda wierd, but fun!

AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2001 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
Well it did snow the day before I took the final pictures. The first time all year. Kinda strange for Buffalo....

Anyways, I'm glad it hasn't snowed, because I'm running a pair of Bridgestone RE-71's on the front, and they are just about out of tread. This would probably cause me an accident if it were snowing out.

I do have snow tires mounted on 14" steel rims, but I'm vain, and I rather have the better looks than the added security of snow tires. If it does start snowing, I will throw them on though.

But I ordered snow tires on Friday for the other GT rims, so I will have those by the end of the week. The rims are going to be painted all black, so it will definietly give the car a different look.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2001 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AkursedX:
...The rims are going to be painted all black, so it will definietly give the car a different look.

Are you going to paint the gold ones? Or the gray ones shown in the top photo- working pics. Seems sad to paint over a good set of gold wheels...

AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2001 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
Are you going to paint the gold ones? Or the gray ones shown in the top photo- working pics. Seems sad to paint over a good set of gold wheels...

No, I'm not painting over the gold one's. I will be painting the grey one's in the top pics. The Gold one's will go back on it in the spring time though, with a new set of front wheels.

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2001 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
And another Fiero saved from the crusher. Thankyou! Wow, that was a lot of work and you did a great job.

------------------

• Red 88 GT T-TOP
  • Red 86 GT

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock