Started on: 12-05-2001 09:32 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 12-07-2001 04:41 PM
The Fieromaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Now this is what im talkin bout... 4G63 Turbo DSM 2.0L bout 200+ horses stock and can pull even more... With the short exhaust thats on it ad like 40 more ponies... thats what David Buscher got when he added his downpipe and exhaust on a STOCK Eclipse... I think i found my next swap... Who cares if its cross breeding... The power that that engine can make is SICK not to mention its LIGHT!
Anyways here is the pic i found....

------------------
"Raced That, Wrecked Better"

~In Memory Of Jesse Cesek~ 1980-2000
AOL IM: Fieromaster
1985 GT ~ Purple, Black and Yellow Interior(Fastback Converted)
1997 Mitsu Eclipse GSX ~ Maroon w/ Hella Balls!(GSX = AWD, Turbo) DOA on 12/10/2000
1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS ~ soon will be turboed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I've seen that pic a few times (even posted it in a few related threads...). But does anyone have any real information pertaining to this project car?

It's obvious that they got the engine physically installed (anything can be physically installed- I've seen the yamaha/ford SHO motor in a Fiero-based kitcar before...) But is the car running? Drivable? Are there any more pics of this "frankenstien" creation? (BTW I think it's cool!)

------------------

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
I would also like to see more pics... Id assume that it should be pretty easy because both the Fiero and the 1g eclipses were OBD1 wich means that you can do anything to here emmisions system and she will still run... That just makes swap easier... In other words, the Eclipse doesnt have a crazy setup like some grand prix do to control fuel pressure using the pump... it uses a Fuel pressure regulator like the Fiero... The complicated part would just be wiring it in... In my case i would use the Eclipse gauges (less hassle and cooler look) and therefore that would eliminate the need for the Fiero computer that i know of!! I think the only REALY tough part is just getting the axles correct. I dont think the Fiero and eclipse splines are the same. That would mean that at the spindles you would need to set up somthing odd to get the hubs and axles to slide together correctly... Perhaps welding an Eclipse spline to a modified Fiero hub?? Whatever you did it would have to be STRONG setup to support the power numbers ive seen leave a DSM Turbo on the dyno!!

------------------

1997 Mitsu Eclipse GSX ~ Maroon w/ Hella Balls!(GSX = AWD, Turbo) DOA on 12/10/2000

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
That makes sense... even the axels aren't dificult (This also depends on which tranny you're using- the DSM or the stock Fiero one). You can fairly cheaply have custom cut axels made (with one spline style on each side) I think they run at most $60 ea. (Had one made for my 440T4 Auto-since the 6000 axel didn't fit).
Daleford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DalefordSend a Private Message to DalefordDirect Link to This Post
Fieromaster... what's the guy in your pic doing? First stage of a "mooning"?

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daleford:
Fieromaster... what's the guy in your pic doing? First stage of a "mooning"?

hehehe....

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Really axles are that cheap? Well that would solve that problem... I garentee a Eclipse engine wouldnt bolt to a Fiero tranny... plus i know from experience the Eclipse 5speed is more durable than GM's trannies... lots of experience! I think im on tranny # 4 now in my Fiero... Burnouts BAD!! So all youd really need to do is get whatever half shaft is the closest in length to what you need (eclipse or Fiero) and have one spline modded for Fiero and other for the eclipse engine! Although id prolly use ther FIERO half shafts cause Sean Glazer keeps snappin the crappy eclipse ones on his 9 second talon! Archie however SWEARS on the Fiero axles!

Daleford... i like you.. you know why? Cause your twisted just like me... haha!

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I'll see if I can locate the name/number/exact cost for the axels I had produced. If I recall correctly, we sent them an axel that was longer than needed with the correct splines on one end. Then also sent them an axel with the other correct end to be matched. They then cut off the axel and re-grooved it to match! Just be sure to measure your length exactly- the first one we had made was about 1/2" too short! And my first day driving it, I accelerated around a corner and pulled the axel out (messy)!

I've also heard of people cutting & welding axels (they supposedly hold up)- but I wouldn't recommend that. Especially if you want to push the power up!

falconhulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falconhulkSend a Private Message to falconhulkDirect Link to This Post
That pic is real??? I always thought it was photoshopped. there is something about it that just looks fake. Might be the lighting or the size...cant put my finger on it.....
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I'm quite sure it's real. There is some reflection of the engine in the rear window (not much, but some). Anyhow, somebody had to do it
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
I agree that the lighting makes it look fake although the reason for this is that the 4g63 is painted silver from the factory. When i took pics of it in my GS with the digital camera it looked fake too cause when we cleaned up the engine it reflected like mad! I am really starting to think about doin it as a swap! She would make one mean lil 4!

ADDED- i just wanted to add also that Sean Glazer is runnin like 9's flat with a HEAVIER car than the Fiero... so im damn sure that if you can get traction (im sure you cant = drag radials) You can put a Fiero into the 9's or even 8's with a conversion like that! ! there is even enough room to put an intercooler where the baterey goes if you put a scoop there it would be totaly functional! Relocate the battery to the front!

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Fieromaster (edited 12-05-2001).]

PFF
System Bot
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
a mitsubishi fiero

------------------
Adam J. B.

you gotta keep on keepin on...
IM AOL: GTFiero & Rumpdetective (dont ask)

NOCONES

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2001 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NOCONESSend a Private Message to NOCONESDirect Link to This Post
A mitsubiero or a fierubishi..

But seriously.. very cool swap idea.. now if you could get the AWD functional then you would have some menacing car

------------------
NOCONES
-84 2M4
-4.10 4-speed
-SCCA sollo II

Addmit it... it's just as much fun alone... Solo II

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2001 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
2 Words:

I WANT!

That would be an awesome swap. Man..that must be a friggin hard swap with the wireing and all you would have to figure out. Well..maybe about as bad as a Northstar. This has me thinking....Anyone have an 88 coupe they wanna sell me cheap???

------------------

James Essar
AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
Not your ordinary 88 coupe!

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2001 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
mmmmmm sweeeeeeet!

The problem is, you will never be able to get a drivetrain that will hold up to the power for a 9 second Fiero... ok just re-read and realized you said you'd use the mitsu tranny. hmmm...

How about building a pure drag Fiero, front engine/rear drive. I know one of Buscher's fastest talons was converted from AWD to RWD with a north-south engine mounting and ford 9 inch rear end, I think. I'll have to dig out my magazine with it in. That mag also has the 10 fastest talons in it.. some very quick stuff that looks completly stock! And still very streetable.

oh yeah.. and aren't those engines somewhat cheap to get? I'd like to try one of the toyota 3s-gte(? - MR2 Turbo) engines, too.

[This message has been edited by Standard (edited 12-06-2001).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2001 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Standard:
mmmmmm sweeeeeeet!

The problem is, you will never be able to get a drivetrain that will hold up to the power for a 9 second Fiero... ok just re-read and realized you said you'd use the mitsu tranny. hmmm...

How about building a pure drag Fiero, front engine/rear drive. I know one of Buscher's fastest talons was converted from AWD to RWD with a north-south engine mounting and ford 9 inch rear end, I think. I'll have to dig out my magazine with it in. That mag also has the 10 fastest talons in it.. some very quick stuff that looks completly stock! And still very streetable.

oh yeah.. and aren't those engines somewhat cheap to get? I'd like to try one of the toyota 3s-gte(? - MR2 Turbo) engines, too.

[This message has been edited by Standard (edited 12-06-2001).]

From what i have heard you can pick up a J-spec engine that prolly has like 45 more ponies (with ease) stock over the us version for only 1,400 with engine, harness, tranny, axles and ECU... BUT i dunno! All i do know it that Buscher makes a stage 3 short block that is GARENTEED to handle 9,000 RPM all day long!!! That would be sick!

JAMES...
Brother, your thinking 2 dimensionally! Remember you grab the FULL intereor and engine wire harnesses and computer, gauges, and few other controls you may need... Then slide that all into the Fiero.. gauges too.. cause then you can have reverse indeglo gauges that have the correct redline, wiring, speedo (YOU KNOW that that car can burry the 160mph speedo dont you I think a couple crazy bastards did that one night didnt they?). I would also grab the fuel pump and its harness so you can then use the Eclipses fuel gauge and get the correct fuel flow requirements too (way higher than what Fiero pump can run). You know bro... Im actually THINKING of doing this with that extra cradle thats at my grandmas! I have a welder... Bwaa haa haa! What do you think? I know where to get another eclipse motor non turbo to start (we both know they are easily turboed bolt on style) JUST to see if it works. Can pry get it for a few hundred!

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Fieromaster (edited 12-06-2001).]

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2001 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post

The Fieromaster

4124 posts
Member since Jun 2001
GD double posts!

[This message has been edited by The Fieromaster (edited 12-06-2001).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2001 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I say go for it! I'm still working on getting the name/number of the axel shop I used... I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Damn that'd be a fast car. Can I have a ride?

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2001 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
I say go for it! I'm still working on getting the name/number of the axel shop I used... I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Damn that'd be a fast car. Can I have a ride?

Ride? HELL NO... If you can drive a 5 speed id let you DRIVE it!

------------------

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2001 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
FieroMaster... we're both in luck! I can drive a 5 speed- so thanks for the drive!

And here's the info on the axel shop... they advertise in HotRod Magazine.

Moser Engineering http://www.moserengineering.com
phone 219.726.6689
fax 219.726.4159

Like I've said before, we sent them a sample of both ends needed, along with the correct length. Charge was about $60 each.

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2001 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
one question... why? why put in an engine that produces only 200hp and put thawork into it whne you could easily put in a turbo quad 2 or a SC 3800 or a small block V-8. hell js put a turbo on the 2.8 and you got 200hp...hmm 40hp from an exhaust system, i can see that not hapening, maybe 5 or 10 but 40! now thats rice talk. an import engine in an american car... i think its a disgrace to america
PFF
System Bot
Slammed Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
User Banned

Report this Post12-07-2001 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroSend a Private Message to Slammed FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTFiero1:
one question... why? why put in an engine that produces only 200hp and put thawork into it whne you could easily put in a turbo quad 2 or a SC 3800 or a small block V-8. hell js put a turbo on the 2.8 and you got 200hp...hmm 40hp from an exhaust system, i can see that not hapening, maybe 5 or 10 but 40! now thats rice talk. an import engine in an american car... i think its a disgrace to america

My thoughts exactly. people go on the net and get the idea that you can make tons of HP really cheap from these motors.

My friends Talon puts down 375hp and he has quite a bit of money in the car , more than a archie swap I promise you that. Runs 12.3's , swapped cam , turbo , extrude honed head , bigger injectors , cams , exhaust , ball bearing turbo..ec..ect..

My friendly GM dealer sells a Fast burn 385Hp small block for under 4 grand. The DSM motor is nice , but it has wet dreams about that kinda Torque.

Just my thoughts... I have ridden in the talon a few times. If someone shares the webspace I can send them 2 video's of it. One beating a CBR600 and another of it against a Pete Farell RX7.

------------------
Jonathan McCreery
86 GT 4spd
Koni's , Coilovers, Big Bars , 17" Trmotorsports Typhoons , 11.25" vented discs, Wilwood 4 Piston Calipers , Pirelli P Zero's, Short Shift, No cat , Cold air induction , Geni Stainless tips, White face gauges , Momo shift , momo pedals, Big Bore TB, 70Hp Shot of NOS Autocrossed , Tracked , Dragged? (soon) abused.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2001 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I'm a total fan of the Archie kit (did you notice my thread in Tech about getting an LT1 ? JM, I know you did... you were the first to respond!)

You may not like this, but you have to respect this:

8 Second '92 Talon TSi

That would be 2 sub 9 second timeslips for a '92 DSM vehicle! Still running stock running configuration

Listed under news: Oct.24th, 2001 http://www.extrememotorsports.com/new.htm

Now I don't mean to be a pain about this one (and I'm not talking money cost or reconfiguring the car) but Archie's site shows a timeslip from Pat Ciarcia at 10.2 ( http://www.v8archie.com/pat.htm ) and I've never seen a Mid-Engine Fiero run faster.

I know, I too have seen Fieros run faster than 10 seconds... but a front engine/RWD isn't exactly the same. Like I said, you may not like it... but you gotta respect it!

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 12-07-2001).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock