Started on: 09-26-2001 05:09 PM
Replies: 36
Last post by: Leper on 10-03-2001 03:45 AM
Doni Hagan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2001 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

We're waiting...............

Now I've gotta figure out how to make this thing smaller and add text.

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 09-26-2001).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2001 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Doni-

Question... do you have a custom gas filler door? or is it just removed for the pic? (I'm trying to make one from an Izuzu Vehicross door assembly) Also- is that a stock wing? BTW: I also like the driving lights in the lower fascia. Looks cool- what color are you going to go for?

------------------

Medium Metallic Green 87 GT
3.1L High Output
4 Spd OD Tranny
Open (read: Loud) Exhaust
and More!
-Rob Bartlett

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 09-26-2001).]

mrtgman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2001 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrtgmanClick Here to visit mrtgman's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrtgmanDirect Link to This Post
Hey Doni!

I'm curious about the gas filler cap too. Whats it from and is it functional?

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2001 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
RE: The gas door... You rice haters out there are probably gonna eat me alive for this but it's a Konig "R-Racing" gas door cover. It looks a lot better in person (brushed aluminum w/carbon fiber) and is the precise size of the Fiero fuel door. It cost me $25 at my local rice racer shop. Oh, the wing's from a Sunbird. I wanted something smaller than the stock one.

RE: Color...Beautiful Dupli-color gray primer. I'm really beginning to hate it. I was thinking green but then people will think Rob and I are related. Seriously, perhaps an Sapphire Blue metalflake or GM's "ultramarine" metalflake.

beer_stud_21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2001 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for beer_stud_21Click Here to visit beer_stud_21's HomePageSend a Private Message to beer_stud_21Direct Link to This Post

I'm curious about the gas filler cap too. Whats it from and is it functional?

I sure hope its functional!! LOL. Wouldn't be much of a mod otherwise... hehe

-Marlin

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2001 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Doni---smaller w/ text? How 'bout this?
mrtgman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2001 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrtgmanClick Here to visit mrtgman's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrtgmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by beer_stud_21:
I sure hope its functional!! LOL. Wouldn't be much of a mod otherwise... hehe

-Marlin

By functional I meant can it be opened with the original latch behind the drivers left side.

mrtgman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2001 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrtgmanClick Here to visit mrtgman's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrtgmanDirect Link to This Post

mrtgman

395 posts
Member since Apr 2001

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:
RE: The gas door... You rice haters out there are probably gonna eat me alive for this but it's a Konig "R-Racing" gas door cover. It looks a lot better in person (brushed aluminum w/carbon fiber) and is the precise size of the Fiero fuel door. It cost me $25 at my local rice racer shop. Oh, the wing's from a Sunbird. I wanted something smaller than the stock one.

RE: Color...Beautiful Dupli-color gray primer. I'm really beginning to hate it. I was thinking green but then people will think Rob and I are related. Seriously, perhaps an Sapphire Blue metalflake or GM's "ultramarine" metalflake.

any chance of you taking a close up of that gas cover?

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2001 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the gas door still opens the same way. The cover attaches itself to the existing stock one with an adhesive backing. I initially saw it on an Explorer (believe it or not) and pulled the guy over to ask him where he got it. After trying JC Whitney, I finally found one in Lincoln Park (Chicago.)

Re: close up...Sure. I'll post one in the AM.

Hey, Monkeyman!

Howd'ja do that? E-mail me!!

mrtgman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2001 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrtgmanClick Here to visit mrtgman's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrtgmanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Doni,

Does it still open with the original latch?

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2001 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Yup.
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2001 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I first saw one of the gas doors in britian in the equivalent of an old cavalier. It's really a "sticker" with some depth to it. They're really cool- I've even seen them at the local parts store (Champion Auto). Otherwise I've seen them online at other places too. I'm still trying to build a "real" on myself- will need to enlarge the stock opening a little, but It'll look great. Until then I may invest in the sticker type myself!

As for the green... If you do- and I get AUS's scoops too, then we will definitely look related But as they say "great minds think alike." Anyway- If I were to start another project car I'd go for the high-metallic blue. It's easier to get silver accents that look nice, and the gray interior is perfect for it (Gold/Tan accents can be tough to find).

I'll post a link for the gas-door thing if I can find it... I'm pretty sure it's one of my bookmarks.

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2001 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Rob,

The next time you go to your local auto parts place, see if they still have the covers in stock and how much they want for them. They'll probably be cheaper than I paid for this one.

Don't make a special trip....just the next time you have a reason to go. Thx a bunch.

mrtgman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2001 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrtgmanClick Here to visit mrtgman's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrtgmanDirect Link to This Post
I thought I read somewhere in here that the Audi TT gas cap covers fit perfectly in the Fiero. Is this true? They really look cool!
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2001 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrtgman:
I thought I read somewhere in here that the Audi TT gas cap covers fit perfectly in the Fiero. Is this true? They really look cool!

I didn't see a post on the subject but thought about that and called Loeber Motors in Chicago a couple of weeks ago to price the assembly.

$275.00 + tax! Maybe the guy thought I meant the whole system to the tank but that's what he told me. Even he thought THAT was ridiculous.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2001 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Doni... I've been quote $300 for the Audi assembly- and it has a slight curve to it. This would make it not quite even with the standard sail panel anyway.

Check out a Izuzu Vehicross door assembly. Cost me about $85 to order everything- and it should adapt to the "cup" on the existing door assembly. I'm working on it, but not very quickly.

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2001 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Here's the close-ups...Sorry it took me so long.

mrtgman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2001 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrtgmanClick Here to visit mrtgman's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrtgmanDirect Link to This Post
Wow thats a sticker? looks great. But did it really cost $25 for just a sticker?
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2001 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Doni- Does that say "Green Car" on it? I may have to get that exact one for my car.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2001 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, $25.00 for it. I was shocked as well but the thing is pretty well built. I don't know if the term "sticker" really applies. It's pretty thick and 3-dimentional. Like I said, it looks much better in person.

And yeah, Rob.......That's "GREEN CAR" you see on there. If they don't have that particular one at the auto parts place near you, e-mail me and I'll hit the rice store to see if they have another one in stock. If they do and you really want it, I'll pick it up and overnight it to you.

Get back to me.

BTW, give me your opinion on the taillight treatment I'm doing. Keep in mind the car hasn't been painted yet.

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 09-27-2001).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2001 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
What about this, Doni? (Keep in mind that this was a quick edit job and I'm not very good at freehand work--see the tail lights).
PFF
System Bot
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2001 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
NOW, THIS IS WHY I JOINED THE FORUM!!!! Several cyber-heads work better than one! Good idea and not hard to do at all. Some thick Plastruct, gobs of Crazy Glue and some body filler and it's done.

Also, I've been debating whether or not to keep the rear end clean of insignias but, after talking with Bill Osmer among others, stuck the Arrowhead on with double-sided tape I can remove easily.....just to live with it for a while. I think it's gonna end up comin' off.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2001 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Doni- nice taillights... maybe you need some clear lenses

I'm 99% sure that the gas filler door decals I've seen don't say "green car." So if you happen back by that shop- pick one up for me and I'll send you a check! LMK.

Lookin' good!

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2001 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if you were kidding or what.....I've seen mention of clear lenses posted from time to time. It it possible to do for the GT? If it's a DIY modification, I may grab a couple of extra taillights to experiment on.

I'll probably get by the rice store next Monday (I have to be back in Chicago to finish a project.) I'll pick it up for you then.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2001 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Doni--MinnGreenGT is in the process of making some clear fastback tail lights. You should have been at Fierorama. They look cool.

MinnGreenGT--How's the progess on those? Done yet? Have you tried the T/A look, yet? How about the notchback tail lights?

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2001 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry I missed Fierorama too. I was on the east coast all that week.

Rob, can I see 'em? Share the wealth, my friend. Keep me informed as to your progress or I'll hold the gas door cover hostage.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2001 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Doni... this was the original post:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/010073.html

Page 1 part way down has some of my most recent pics. I think you could DIY if you have patience and access to a heat gun and an office-style light lens (see link).

As for progress, I'm awaiting arrival of a spare Left side lens so I can try to make a mold (Thanks Ferrari_Momo). Shaping each one by hand is quite time consuming- especially for the number of people who are interested in them. I'm also waiting on the LED bulbs before I convert my own. Soon. I'll keep you guys posted as to any progess. I'm really wanting to move forward, but it's tough right to find extra time!

Oh yeah, MM thanks for the coupe light... I'm going to try to get a lens made for it this weekend. Someone else here had a post that used the same method, but didn't use quite a large enough piece of material- Looked good though. MM- I'm also in the process of trying to acquire a vinyl cutting wide format machine that would allow me to easily make the T/A style pattern for a mask. Again- I'll keep you posted!

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 09-28-2001).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2001 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Thanks...I'll check it out. I'm on my way to pick up another parts car (a notchback) so I'll be able experiment on it. Also, it's got a bunch of good parts. The guy put a Buick 6 cyl in it and really cocked up the installation. He's never been able to get it to run right so he's giving up on the project and selling the car for $300 !! Maybe I'll try to undo whatever he did wrong and just use the car as a base for body modifications...

UPDATE: I just checked out the "clear lens link. I WANT IT!!! Bill Osmer and I were just outside talking about them. It seems that doing the individual strips are a perfect way to develop a raging Valium habit. As my "clear" sections on the taillights are removed as it is, I really have nothing to lose. I'll will probably have some free time after I complete an artist I'm doing. I've got to at least give the clear face idea a shot. The only part I'm a bit concerned about is the curve at the ends combined with the arc of the lens. Any suggestions on getting it right the first time?

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 09-28-2001).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2001 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Well, here's the new addition to the fleet! I'd like to use it as a platform to experiment on. I know I have to move it from in front of my studio before my wife sees it and I end up sleeping in it!

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2001 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey Doni.
I arranged for the Fiero to be towed home Tuesday. Was hoping for last Thursday or Friday but the tow guy was booked up. Monday (today) is a public holiday here. So even though I haven't got a garage back I am resuming work on my projects Wednesday. I have to get a doorskin, fender and rh side aero trim to continue on that side but the left side will be back underweay. Will keep you posted. Both scoops are cut out of the melted around the edges panels ready for attaching to the new.
Cheers
Jim
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2001 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Doni- you were looking for a suggestion to get it right the first time...? I used the outside of the outer lens to get the basic shape right, then just kept making small changes and test-fitting the lens. I'm eventually going to try to make a buck/mold that I can use to make them quicker- just waiting for the donor parts (they're in the mail). Really the key to getting it right is just taking your time... if you go too fast you'll either melt something, or break something you don't want to (done both )

AUS- don't want to be a pest, but did the high wing stantions you were working on get toasted in the fire too?

PFF
System Bot
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2001 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Steady as she goes.. I'll give it a shot. BTW, the rice store wasn't open when I went by there this morning. The guy keeps weird business hours but he's more enthusiast than entrepreneur. It's kinda like he opens up when he feels like it so I'll keep tryin'. The store's not far from the flat here.

AUS, my friend.... I hadn't thought about it but AM I BEING A PEST AS WELL? If so, lemme know and I'll epoxy my teeth together

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2001 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
AUS- don't want to be a pest, but did the high wing stantions you were working on get toasted in the fire too?

No. I am just lacking a feasible place to work on anything small at the moment. Garage is still crisped. The builder was supposed to come last week. Still waiting.

Leper
No longer registered
Report this Post10-02-2001 02:39 AM   Send a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:
BTW, give me your opinion on the taillight treatment I'm doing. Keep in mind the car hasn't been painted yet.
[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan

How about this?

If anyone wants to know, those are Honda S-2000 lights behind the fiero plastic lens covers. (or it was supposed to be anyway.)

[This message has been edited by Leper (edited 10-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Leper (edited 10-02-2001).]

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2001 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Leper:
How about this?

If anyone wants to know, those are Honda S-2000 lights behind the fiero plastic lens covers. (or it was supposed to be anyway.)

I like'm. My only comment would be that the inside corners of the blacked-out area (the edge around the amber lens) nees to be rounded slightly. The corners are too square and don't flow with the body lines and round lenses. Otherwise... COOL!

------------------
Roy :D
Just another stock Blue 87 GT

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2001 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking around at taillight treatments on other cars to see what (if any) I could adapt successfully. I'll check out the Honda and see if it's workable. Thanks for the input!!
Leper
No longer registered
Report this Post10-03-2001 03:45 AM   Send a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
I saw an S-2000 the other day and wondered what the taillights would look like on a fiero. Your car gave me a good excuse to do that. I agree about rounding the edge, mrfixit. I also think that the taillights need something more than just those 4 lights, maybe a smaller amber turn signal light near the outside edge or something.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock