Started on: 09-05-2001 01:57 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 10-12-2001 09:55 AM
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
This is another project I've been working for awhile. So far, the only thing I've had to pay for was the ink in my printer. The rest was all free samples.

A Little background: I'm a graphic designer/digital printer for a portable tradeshow display company- as well as just starting a new Graphics/Wide-format company. This basically gives me access to a few medias that most people wouldn't think of. I have seen the white-face gauge conversions as well as backlight-white faces, and even on ebay a "REAL" indiglo gauge set. Well, import drivers have easy access to these types of things- but not us.

So I've used only 2 different materials: "Trans-White" backlite film (usualy used in light-boxes like you see at the airport or tradeshow), and 3M "Optically Clear Adhesive" which is commonly used in automotive gauge applications as well as layering digital components like touch-screen displays for your palm pilot. I used the optically clear because it is rated at 98+% light transmission- this is the expensive stuff. I don't know exact costs on these materials, being they were all samples from business associates- sorry.

I started by front printing the white (outer) layer of the gauges on the TransWhite, then on a separate sheet of TransWhite- backprinted the blue layer. I then apply a layer of Optically clear adhesive to both sides of a blank TransWhite page for spacing. Then the front is attached, followed by the back. Another layer is then applied to the back side of the set- to be used to apply the face to the gauge-plate.

I have not yet recieved my sample gauge set to use as a prototype, so the pics are just handheld digital photos of the printed sheet. They do still have a slight bluish cast to them when not-backlit, but become a rich-lite blue color when backlit. I am going to try to produce a second set shortly to see if I can streamline the process.

If anyone happens to have a digital file of the inset warning lights (high-beam, turn signals, service engine, etc...) they could send me, that would be great!

So, what do you think?

A special thanks to AUS, for emailing me his original printable files- which I used as a template for my gauges (I redrew everything in Adobe Illustrator). As well as to Songman for sending (soon I hope ) some old gauges to use as samples!

------------------

Medium Metallic Green 87 GT
3.1L High Output
4 Spd OD Tranny
Open (read: Loud) Exhaust
and More!
-Rob Bartlett

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 09-05-2001).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Loki

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiDirect Link to This Post
Looks schweet Me likes

------------------

ICQ# 16477998
http://members.home.net/loki-mg

kempo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kempoSend a Private Message to kempoDirect Link to This Post
Kempo will buy a few sets from you when you start mass producing them. Awesome idea!

-Kemp

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
If/When I do produce them (my wife wants me to at least make a few bucks from my time-spent)... it will probably be a limited quantity. My sample roll of 3M optically clear adhesive is only 60ft Long, and there are 3 layers for every finished set. After that, I'll have to find out about pricing!

------------------

3.1L High Output
4 Spd OD Tranny
and More!
-Rob Bartlett

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Wow They look great! You could try some more funky stuff like your checkers or the Fiero Emblem that only show up when you turn the lights on or something.

------------------

Did you get your car in my book yet????
http://www.animatedconcepts.com/fierobook.htm

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
If anyone happens to have a digital file of the inset warning lights (high-beam, turn signals, service engine, etc...) they could send me, that would be great!

I have them, what format would you prefer?

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Cliff- you are awsome... format: anything I can read! I'd love vector (illustrator) format, but anything from JPG, GIF, EPS, or anything! I'm running Photoshop 6.0 and Illustrator 9.01... so I'm pretty well set. Are the images at actual size? that would be great! Please email them to rob@xtralite.com or my home address: MacGod911@aol.com

Thanks Again!

------------------

3.1L High Output
4 Spd OD Tranny
and More!
-Rob Bartlett

Denny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyDirect Link to This Post
I like them! How much?

[This message has been edited by Denny (edited 10-03-2001).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Ummm.... pricing... what are they worth? I know the import guys can get indiglo sets for around $95, but these aren't truly indiglo. I guess I better figure out my cost to start with. But since I like everybody here- what would people be willing to pay for something like this? They are all hand-layered, and do take some time. ALSO, I need to point out that I've never installed a set and this is not a "sure thing" just yet.

------------------

3.1L High Output
4 Spd OD Tranny
and More!
-Rob Bartlett

Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-05-2001 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post
Id gladly pay 25-30 dollors for a set, but thats just me. Great job man!

------------------
Tyler Morgan
1986 GT Fastback,

Holley Ram-Air, Power Steering, K&N Filtercharger, Bosch Wires, Bosch Platinum Plugs, Conrad Distribuiter Cap/Rotor, New GT Seats, New Headliner, New Carpet, Ocelet Exhaust, Red Underbody Light Kit (coming soon)
Aim=FieroDriver1986

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I dont care about the price! All I know is I would love a set!!! Put me on your list of people to buy them when you make them! keep me posted.

Thanks!

------------------

James Essar
AOL IM Name: FieroMaster88
88 Coupe With a new V6
5 speed Isuzu trans
AcCel 8mm wires
rapid fire plugs
custom intake with K&N filter.
Soon to be 2" closer to the ground and have a turbo

PFF
System Bot
gargoyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gargoyleSend a Private Message to gargoyleDirect Link to This Post
Those would look real nice in combination with the carbon fiber that I hope to do at some point. If they work out, put me down for a set. Are you bringing your samples to Fierorama
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Hey, those are nice! I like the design.
Anyway of doing the "face" on the A/C control panel? I've looked into it a bit. Seems like it could work. Just need to scratch out all the orange paint stuff around the light hole.

Oh yeah, you need to fix the temperatures on the gauge. They're a little low

------------------
-Adam
sqoach@yahoo.com

^^^^^^new project^^^^^^

• 84 SE (FOR SALE)*sale pending*
  • 85 Coupe (parts car)($50)*sale pending*
  • 86 SC (FOR SALE)

[This message has been edited by sqoach (edited 09-05-2001).]

• IP: Logged
    Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTDirect Link to This Post
    could you post the templates? or email them to me? file format doesnt matter, as long as its bmp j/k jpg/gif/bmp/psd i dont even care if its pcx, i have an idea for my own custom guages!
    Denny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyDirect Link to This Post

Ummm.... pricing... what are they worth?

I think you should get a fair price for your efforts.

Figure the material cost, then add what you think is a fair price for construction time (includes printing time), then add what you think is a fair amount for artistic efforts/talent.

Don't cheat yourself!

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
    Sqoach... I never even noticed that!!! I got the original layouts from AUS... must be in Celcius (sp?)... I guess I'll have to change that on the next set! Good Eye! Thanks.

About the A/C panel... I guess I'll just have to take one apart to see!

Someone asked me off-forum about different colors... I guess I can print them in any color my printer will do- I'll try sometime and see what else I can come up with!

------------------

3.1L High Output
    4 Spd OD Tranny
    and More!
    -Rob Bartlett

sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2001 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
    If you need one, I think I still have the one I was messing with. The face came off pretty easily. Just took off the knob and the slider and peeled back the face. I was just trying to scratch off the orange paint stuff from the face, but that didn't work too well. Hope you can figure something out.
    artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2001 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
    Wow Rob, those look great!!!

I've been trying for a while to find a contractor that would make me just 'blank' indiglo circles that we could then cut and laminate and print whatever gauge designs we wanted onto, but no luck yet.

Yours do look quite good, and I've had recent expierence with using acrylic block as a marcro lightpipe and diffusior with high intensidy (5 and 10,000mcd) white and blue LED diodes...

I can't show the actual project, but here's an offshoot I did one night for a friend of mine

A sheet of cinema lighting diffusion goes behind the abraded surface lexan pipe, which makes for a nice soft even glow.

(Yes, he drives a ford and I still talk to him, grin!

Hrm...

Give me a hollar off-list if you like.

Best!
    Ben

------------------

Ben Cannon
    88 Formula, T-top Metalic Red
    88 Formula, Silver
    87 Coupe, Metalic Red
    "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
    -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2001 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
    *bump*
    Any word on these? Have you figured out anything else?
    sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2001 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
    *bump* to the top!
    72vinman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2001 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 72vinmanSend a Private Message to 72vinmanDirect Link to This Post
    Rob, If after you get them on your car and the work OK, then I would be interested in a set as well. Please let us know how much.
    Thanks
    PFF
    System Bot
    mrtgman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2001 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrtgmanClick Here to visit mrtgman's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrtgmanDirect Link to This Post
    count me in for a set!
    BlackDragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2001 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackDragonSend a Private Message to BlackDragonDirect Link to This Post
    i'll take a set with red face, and black writing. non indiglo of course, and can you make the red lite lite up, and have a dimmer with my factory dash lites?

------------------
    WTB:cheap fastback standard. can be ugly, doesn't have to have engine.

looking for computer parts, wholesale? cpu built to order? email me

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2001 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
    Ben, I sent you a PM, check your inbox

Bryce
    88 GT

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2001 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
    To all those asking... no real progress yet. I took the prototype set to Fierorama for people to play with, but with the rain not many got to see them. I still haven't recieved my extra dash parts to test the backlighting system (I don't really have the ability to dismantle my GT yet... it's my daily driver). So if anyone here has an extra 120 mph speedo/dash cluster that is damamged or non-working, let me know 'cause I still need samples to work with!

Sqoach- did you say you had a spare A/C & heater panel? I'd try to play with it if you're willing to give it up!

------------------

3.1L High Output
    4 Spd OD Tranny
    and More!
    -Rob Bartlett

sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2001 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

To all those asking... no real progress yet. I took the prototype set to Fierorama for people to play with, but with the rain not many got to see them. I still haven't recieved my extra dash parts to test the backlighting system (I don't really have the ability to dismantle my GT yet... it's my daily driver). So if anyone here has an extra 120 mph speedo/dash cluster that is damamged or non-working, let me know 'cause I still need samples to work with!

Sqoach- did you say you had a spare A/C & heater panel? I'd try to play with it if you're willing to give it up!

Sure, I just need to find it. I'd be happy to donate it to help you out. I think I might have thrown the face out, but I'll look. There's no V6's in the junkyards around here, so can't help you with the 120mph speedo cluster.

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2001 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
    Rob--You don't need a 120mph setup to see if your indiglo gauge faces work. Any gauge package should do it except maybe the '84s (weren't they metal or something?). I'm pretty sure you can swap gauges from any model/year to any other without problems. BTW--I was one of the lucky few who got to see your gauge faces. Really neat. Once you get them done, LMK. I might be interested in a set.

------------------
    'Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.'

MM

sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2001 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
    Hey, I found it! Still has the face I was messing with on it. Missing a few parts, but you won't need them I don't think. Just need an address to send it to.
    MooCow

Feedback score:    (22)
    Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2001 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MooCowSend a Private Message to MooCowDirect Link to This Post
    Hey I love those. Didn't even knew you had them at Fieroramma. Would have loved to look at them. I did like the clear tailight thoe. I have to get me some now. Keep up the good work and yes I would like a pair of the guages if you do start to make them.

Thanks Ken

------------------

87 GT, 3.4 engine with a 4:10 tranny, and Viper Yellow!

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2001 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
    I recieved an email today from Dale (Songman)... said his "donor" parts should arrive here in a couple of days. Hopefully things might move along more quickly then! Anyone know offhand (I don't feel like looking it up) what model the backlight bulb is? And how powerful is it? ... and is there a brighter replacement? Just wondering if anyone might know offhand!

------------------

3.1L High Output
    4 Spd OD Tranny
    and More!
    -Rob Bartlett

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2001 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
    If you have any left, I'd like a set too. Have you picked a price?
    PFF
    System Bot
    MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2001 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
    Wow... haven't seen this one pop up in awhile

Anyway- I've finally got some pricing for the materials (found a non-3M source for the adhesive @$1.50 sq/ft where there is about 3 sq ft. used in each page. 3M was more like $5 per sq.ft). I've also scanned in the warning/signal lights, but haven't had a chance to recreate them for the backlight system.

I'm trying to see if I can produce a few (3-5sets) at a shot on a wide format printer- And I'm going to install at least the AUX gauges in my GT shortly for an official "TEST DRIVE" of the materials. I also located a spare Gauge Pod, hopefully to use as a demo/tester as well.

I'll notify the forum as soon as I can produce the parts at a steady pace, with a set price (won't be too high). BTW: Making other colors aside from standard "indiglo blue" should not be difficult for those intersted. Also, I may research getting brighter bulbs (found 194's in "HyperWhites" today while ordering bulbs for my clear taillights. It'd be an expensive upgrade, but might make quite the difference).

LT1 Chop Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2001 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT1 Chop TopSend a Private Message to LT1 Chop TopDirect Link to This Post
    You got me interested!
    Denny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2001 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyDirect Link to This Post
    I'm still interested!
    86seyellow

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
    User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2001 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86seyellowSend a Private Message to 86seyellowDirect Link to This Post
    Rob, Count me in as a customer, But Ill need the 120 gauges and a 120 speedo.

------------------

I can go as fast as I want unless I get caught

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
    Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
    Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2001 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
    86seyellow--That's what he's working on.

In case I forgot to mention this, I saw Robs prototype at Fierorama last month. They look awesome. If they look as good at night as they do in the day, I'll be a customer for sure.

Rob--When you get them finished, email me please.

GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2001 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendDirect Link to This Post
    me too .. me too.. *drool*.

Minn, I was also looking to bulbs for the clear taillight conversion. I know the painted glass bulbs are bad, but what about the ones with the actual coloured glass?

I have looked around for the LEDS in Canada, but the cheepest I found was 25$ a bulb! ugh! If I can find cheeper LEDS I might go with 4 red Leds, and the Amber ones in coloured glass.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2001 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GodSend:
    Minn, I was also looking to bulbs for the clear taillight conversion. I know the painted glass bulbs are bad, but what about the ones with the actual coloured glass?

I have looked around for the LEDS in Canada, but the cheepest I found was 25$ a bulb! ugh! If I can find cheeper LEDS I might go with 4 red Leds, and the Amber ones in coloured glass.

GodSend... LEDs are really expensive. Just placed my order for the full set of taillights yesterday (cost me about $200 total). For LEDs and Hyperwhite bulbs goto http://www.xtremewhite.com for colored glass bulbs goto http://www.lightlens.com and look for the link in the lower left that says "colored bulbs"

To everyone else... I'll be sure to keep you all posted!

86seyellow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2001 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86seyellowSend a Private Message to 86seyellowDirect Link to This Post
    I meant that I need the 120 speedo also, I have a 85 which I hate
    86seyellow

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2001 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86seyellowSend a Private Message to 86seyellowDirect Link to This Post

86seyellow

1147 posts
    Member since May 2001
    I meant that I need the 120 speedo also, I have a 85 which I hate

------------------

All Stock plus goodies

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page