Last chance to register for Fiero Festival by FOCOSEVA
Started on: 07-30-2001 09:08 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Formula88 on 07-30-2001 07:47 PM
FOCOSEVA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2001 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FOCOSEVAClick Here to visit FOCOSEVA's HomePageSend a Private Message to FOCOSEVADirect Link to This Post
Just a reminder that no registrations will be accepted at the Festival car show. If you still haven't registered, you can call me with the info. I'll need your credit card info, Fiero model(s), class info, T-shirt size, number attending the banquet. My number is (804) 693-4650. Call no later than Wednesday evening, August 1st. If you feel comfortable doing it by e-mail, that's ok too, as long as you do it no later than Wednesday. After that I'll be at the Festival too. Last chance!
Curry Obenshain
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2001 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

EDIT - problem in miscommunication seemingly solved. Apologies.

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 07-30-2001).]

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2001 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

LZeitgeist

5662 posts
Member since Dec 2000
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/008997.html

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2001 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I was told registration was going to be accetped at the door, but would be more expensive.

[This message has been edited by Mongo (edited 07-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-30-2001).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2001 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001
Taken from the following thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/008997.html

Originally posted by FOCOSEVA:
This is the registration for the 2001 Fiero Festival in Williamsburg, Virginia. The cutoff date for (regular $45.00) registration is July 26, 2001. After that date, registration will be accepted at the door, but the price will be $50.00. Save yourself $5.00 and send in your registration now. Curry Obenshain

Fiero Festival
P.O. Box 297
White Marsh, Va. 23183

OK, I'm confused - but I'm calm.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-30-2001).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2001 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001
So, is anyone else concerned about this? I can't believe only 2 people were planning to register at the door.
FOCOSEVA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2001 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FOCOSEVAClick Here to visit FOCOSEVA's HomePageSend a Private Message to FOCOSEVADirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately a few folks always wait until the "11th hour" to register. Fiero Phil and Gloria specified the July 26th cutoff date in order to spur folks to register early (in advance). Advance registration (for any large gathering) is needed so that they will know how many are coming, so they will know how many T-shirts to order, and how many will be at the banquet. If everybody waited and registered AT the event, there would either be too many T-shirts or not enough, and too much (or too little) food. Either way, somebody would be unhappy. That's why they want registrations in advance. Fiero Phil and Gloria authorized me to collect these late registrations, and to try to get poeple to register (even now) BEFORE the Festival, and not to wait to register At the Festival. I too will be at the Festival, and will not be at home to answer the phone or receive any mail (including later registrations) after Thursday morning, until I return on Sunday, after the Festival is over. That's why I have, over the last week or so, repeatedly asked Fiero Festival participants to contact me with their registration information as soon as possible. Even so, Fiero Phil and Gloria will, once again, "bow to the ridiculous", and accept registrations from those who insist on registering in person, AT THE FESTIVAL. However, they have said, and I will repeat here, that NO registrations will be accepted AT THE CAR SHOW. I can already hear the replies: "WHY?????" Because they don't want to delay the rest of the car show participants who are already registered, and who are trying to get their Fiero(s) positioned on the car show field. Also, it helps to know how many cars are in each class, so the show field can be properly marked off (some classes are notably smaller or larger than others). My question is, why wait until the last minute? If you've been planning your trip for months, what will you gain by registering at the last minute? Some of my club members, including me, have been registered since the beginning of May, or even earlier! If you want to wait and register AT the Festival, that's your decision. Doing that will, as it has at previous Festivals, hold up the line behind you and delay others from getting the help they need. Advance registration is a good way to get this task out of the way in advance, so we can get back to the fun stuff - Fieros. Or would you rather wait in line??? I will be accepting registrations with credit card information by telephone or e-mail until Wednesday evening, August 1st. Thursday morning I'm going to the Festival.
Curry Obenshain
CaptFiero@aol.com
(804) 693-4650
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2001 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Curry -

Once you made the distinction between CAR SHOW and FESTIVAL, your meaning became clear.

Yes, I feel that waiting until five minutes before the CAR SHOW (the judged portion of the event) to register is unacceptable, and I understand the reasons behind that decision, and I agree with them.

However, from your wording, it appeared to me that you had reversed your decision to accept registrations upon arrival at the FESTIVAL, and it was this (incorrect) appearance that led to my questions.

There are many reasons for waiting until arrival before registering.

A) I own two Fieros, but since my father had a stroke a few months ago and can not attend, I do not yet know which one will be the one that I take to the show - the one I was awarded a 1st Place trophy for last year, or the one that Dad and I have been working on ever since so he would have something himself to show there this year.

B) (As an example) Formula88 currently has chronic exhaust problems and won't be able to get it fixed completely before the Festival, but we may be able to fix it sufficiently to get it there and back. Or we may not be able to. Also, Bob Englert's GT just had his exhaust manifold crap out on him last week, and he will not be able to bring it to the show. If they had already registered their cars before this time, will/would they be eligible for a refund? If so, kudos to the staff for the consideration of these unforeseen circumstances. If not, then they would be out their money, because the cars they registered could not be there. These are old cars - last minute things happen. You, as a fellow owner, are fully aware of these sorts of situations.

C) Some of us with cars that we feel are on the fence between trophy-winners and not may rather eyeball the possible competition before we commit our funds to what we may feel is a no-win situation. I certainly don't mind healthy competition, but if I'm the only fence-sitter in a class full of trailer queens, I'd rather keep my money in my pocket to buy the winners a celebratory beer afterwards than consider it wasted.

Your willingness to accept reservations on-site at the Festival is appreciated, and the extra expense for waiting until then is justified. Your unwillingness to extend that courtesy all the way to the actual start of the Car Show is understandable and not at all begrudged.

I apologize for jumping the gun before clarifications were offered.

Looking forward to seeing you there - I wish your car was going to be there, too.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2001 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Ok, before I get more confused....

Is there a separate registration for attending the Festival and for entering the Car Show? If I attend, but don't show my car, do I need to register? It appeared to me in your top post that we wouldn't be able to attend the Festival if we didn't register in advance.

I apologize if I'm jumping the gun here, or seem overly ignorant. Every convention or festival I've attended in the past has had an entrance fee for spectators, and a separate registration for show participants. Please clarify.

I do agree with you that registering for car show judging should be done in advance. That's only fair to the hard working people putting on the show. I just don't want to show up to attend and be told no because of a miscommunication.

FOCOSEVA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2001 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FOCOSEVAClick Here to visit FOCOSEVA's HomePageSend a Private Message to FOCOSEVADirect Link to This Post
I would like to sincerely thank everyone for their replies to my clarification post. You all have raised some interesting points, and since we have now moved beyond the "why's", I will try to clear up any remaining confusion. If you register a Fiero, and wind up bringing a different Fiero due to illness (Patrick, we hope your Dad has a speedy recovery!), or mechanical breakdown, or just about any other reason, then transferring from your previously registered class to a different class is not a problem. No, you will not have to forfeit any money if you bring a different Fiero than the one you registered. Just make the change when you check in at the Festival. No sweat. As for Festival versus Car Show: The car show is part of the festival. The festival begins on Thursday, August 2nd, and runs until Sunday August 5th. The cruise is on Friday, August 3rd, and the car show is on Saturday, August 4th. Phil and Gloria would like to have registrations done before the car show to make things easier for all involved, if possible. Obviously, there are always extenuating circumstances, like Patrick's, and these are completely legitimate. Maybe it would be better for me to say that Phil & Gloria would like to have "as many registrations as possible" done in advance. That way, the "regular registration" folks would be done and only the "extenuating circumstance" folks would need special attention (no offense intended). By doing it that way, then Fiero Phil and Gloria might even have time to get out and enjoy the car show too! After all, they share the love we all feel for Fieros, and it's because of them that we're all coming together at these festivals. As for coming to the car show just to look at the Fieros, but not participate in the competition, no, there is no charge to just look. In fact, the general public of Williamsburg and anywhere else is welcome to come and look, at no charge. Several weeks ago I even e-mailed the local media (TV stations and local newspaper) and invited them to come out and take pictures or video for their news. I don't know if they will come or not, but they are welcome. Who knows, you might be famous. Or maybe me - "Local boy makes good." I hope this helps everyone. Take care, and have a safe trip, see you there. Curry Obenshain
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2001 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Thanks very much, Curry, for the additional clarifications - you have eased any and all fears that were raised at the last minute (and answered a couple questions I didn't know I had).

Oh, and thanks for the well wishes for Dad... physically, his stroke wasn't as debilitating (thank Heavens) as a lot of them are; in fact, you'd never know he had one just by observing him. However, since he had it (actually what they called a 'mini-stroke') while he was driving through back roads coming from a friend's house to home - and became *completely* disoriented and got home solely by what pretty much *has* to be some sort of divine intervention - he is now somewhat stressed at being away from the comforts of home, and since stress is one of the things that triggers further strokes, we are all much happier when he stays away from situations that cause him stress. However, wanting to stay close to home (and especially preferring to stay away from gatherings like this) is a HUGE change from who he used to be, although knowing how things happened to him and hearing him relate the horror story of his slow, methodical trip home through back roads he barely recognized, his consternation is understandable and justified, and hopefully, over time, temporary.

I'll pass your wishes onto him, and thanks.

Looking forward to the brouhaha... I mean, the Festival...

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2001 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Thank you. Mongo understand, now. Mongo happy. Mongo see you on Thursday.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock