Started on: 12-12-2000 12:46 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: DaRkLoRD on 12-14-2000 08:29 PM
Uaana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2000 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaDirect Link to This Post
In their infinate wisdom GM plans to kill Olds. Probably in a drive to turn out more poser sport ute's, Hmm put a lift kit on a grand am and call it a GrandSport a sporty new SUV.. Sorry SUV guys but you gotta admit that alot of the newer sport utes are crap. ala lexus rx3 "camry with a lift kit"..
Well here's the story.

General Motors Announces Phase-Out of Oldsmobile

Detroit, Mich. - GM announced today that the Oldsmobile Division will be phased out over the next few years.

In making the announcement, GM President and Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner and Executive Vice President and President North America Ron Zarrella said that despite major investments over the past few years that resulted in critically acclaimed new Oldsmobile products, the division was still unprofitable and its sales volume continued to erode.

“We stretched to find profitable ways to further strengthen the Oldsmobile product line, including developing products with our global alliance partners, but in the current environment, there was no workable solution,” said Wagoner.

Wagoner added this has been a very difficult and painful decision because of the history of the Oldsmobile division. “It is the oldest automotive brand in America with a history that is rich with innovation and success stories, including dozens of legendary cars, and over the years it was one of the jewels in the General Motors’ crown,” he said.

“In recent years, we have made major investments in new products for Oldsmobile – significant capital and engineering resources – in an effort to re-position Oldsmobile in the market,” Zarrella said. “Even with the introduction of several great new products, the brand’s sales and profit performance remain under pressure.”

A dramatically changing North American automotive landscape is driving GM to focus its resources even more sharply on growth opportunities and on making the entire brand portfolio more effective in the marketplace. That means a portfolio dominated by innovative products with shorter lifecycles.

“I want to assure you that we are very sensitive to the concerns and needs of the Oldsmobile customer,” Zarrella said. “We will work together with our Oldsmobile dealers to provide for a smooth and orderly business transition.”

A call center has been established in Detroit to address dealer questions and capture dealer concerns for resolution. In addition, a transition team will be located in each of the company’s five regions to address dealer concerns and inquiries. A dedicated team will work on an individual basis with all dealers involved to facilitate a smooth and orderly transition.

The company will also work with Oldsmobile dealers so those customers continue to receive quality service and parts. If there is any change in Oldsmobile representation in a customer’s area, service and parts will be made available through another GM dealer.

There will be several customer care initiatives beginning with a special 1-800 number for Oldsmobile owners. As valued members of the General Motors family, they will have the benefit of the largest and one of the most responsive customer care networks in the industry to address their concerns.

In addition, recent Oldsmobile customers will be provided a certificate of at least $1,000 toward the purchase or lease of a new Oldsmobile or other GM vehicles.

Regarding Oldsmobile employees, Zarrella said that the dedication exhibited by the Oldsmobile team has been exemplary. “This is why we will work hard to provide opportunities for these valued employees to stay in the GM family,” said Zarrella.

“While this is a difficult decision, we believe that in the long run, it is the right thing to do to increase GM’s competitiveness, profitability and growth, Zarrella said.”

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2000 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
And have you seen the new Buick SUV?
It's supposed to be based on the GM minivans, just like the (forgive me) Aztek.
It looks a hell of a lot better, though.
Hate hearing about Olds. Not really a shocker, though.
Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2000 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
Not a shocker to me either...

The General threatened to eliminate Olds about 5 or so years ago. The new Intrigue, Alero, and "Cutlass" have helped keep the division just above water in that time.

It's really a shame, Olds has a long history. But nowadays over half of the lineup is based on platforms from other divisions, it's tough to compete like that. GM should really work to specialize each division towards certain types of cars however each division always wants a piece of the pie. Eventually the pie gets eaten up and someone misses out.

------------------
T-T-F-N, Tah Tah For Now!

DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2000 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
And I thought the new Cutlass looked better than its sister, the Impala. What a crok. My first car was an Olds Delta 88.

------------------
Dillon
Black '87 SE V6
"You mean like the back seat of a Volkswagen?"

msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2000 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonDirect Link to This Post
I wonder what other cars will have the shortstar engine put in them due to the Intrigue's demise with Olds?

Isn't it due to replace the 3.8PR?

thanks,
marc

KnightRyder31

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2000 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightRyder31Send a Private Message to KnightRyder31Direct Link to This Post
Good bye and fare well---->
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2000 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
Its kind of surprising that they picked now to pull the plug. They just released the all new Aurora and are about to introduce the new Bravada SUV. Both products might have helped the division a little. However, when you get right down to it, GM sells too few cars spread across too many nameplates. Buick is the worst of them all! They sell the same car under two different nameplates! (Century and Regal). Granted, the regal has the 3.8II and the Century the 3100 engine, but its still essentially the same car. Their bodies are identical! Then they sell it as the Grand Prix, and Olds Intrigue as well. At some point, all these cars have to start competing with themselves as much as other automakers. Its still sad to see the loss of another US nameplate.
RaeQwan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2000 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaeQwanClick Here to visit RaeQwan's HomePageSend a Private Message to RaeQwanDirect Link to This Post
You mean they are actually killing a division when its loosing money and not making money? whats up with GM?

------------------

afRaceR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2000 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for afRaceRSend a Private Message to afRaceRDirect Link to This Post
Tigger hit the nail right on the head.....too many vehicles based on the same car. All of the GM family has a tendency to share platforms which I always thought was the stupidest idea.

I have a feeling cars like the aurora will get absorbed into other divisions - kind of like Chrysler did with the Prowler when they shut plymouth down - because these are cars that where more competetive with foreign products.

Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2000 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictDirect Link to This Post
I thought that it would have been Buick that got the axe. It would have made more sense.

They also make the Buick Roadmaster as the Holden Caprice with a V8 and RWD.

Chrysler is going to die next. Just wait.

Shaft

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2000 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaftSend a Private Message to ShaftDirect Link to This Post
WTF!!!!

How can they do that!!! They put so much money into Oldsmobile in the last few years while they let Buick suffer. Buick is the divison that you'd only expect 80 year old, white haird people to be driving. GM has gone to great lengths to change Oldsmobile's image. The Intrigue is one of GM's finest built cars today. They're quick, rattle free, good handeling, and have a ider track than the "Wide track" Grand Prix. Then they introduced the new Aurora and it was given praise from the magazines. It now got either a 3.5 V6 or the 4.0 V8 so it could fill the void left by the 88. The car magazines have repeatedly said that the Aurora is a car that competes with the $50,000 luxury cars but at only $30,000. Now they're ready to introduce the new Bravada with one of the most innovative engines brought out by GM. And now it has it's own platform and body. (The new one does not share the blazer body) And don't forget about the Alero that was introduced a while ago. Think of it as a mini-Intrigue. It's a great car. But i will admit that it loses in exterior styling to the Grand Am and the absence of an Alero performance version (Like the GA GT) left that nameplate without excitement. GM also form the Oldsmobile Specialty Vehicle Team last year and they came out with a bunch of interesting vehicles (Alero with 3.5 v-6, Alero with 240hp 4 Cylander, Intrigue with supercharged 3.5 v-6, Intrigue with 4.0 v-8) But they never brought any of that excitement to production.

When it comes down to it Oldsmobile is a great division that builds great cars with increasing customer satisfaction. There has been a lot of money put into Olds and the product has gotten better, while Buick remains the same. Buick should have been cut first. Their vehicles lack in style and sales more than i think Olds does.

PFF
System Bot
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2000 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeDirect Link to This Post
Hey Shaft...rrrright on.

Oldsmobile got caught being the platform product without a niche. Buick captured all the "old money" that wanted floaty boats. Man, get out the seasick pills, but old people with money loved them. Not a whole lot of competition in this market

Pontiac captured the young people that wanted the extroverted styling. The excitement (visually) division. Not a whole lot of competition in this market.

Oldsmobile tried to compete with the people who would consider an import. Eek. LOTS of outstanding competition there. You better bring vault-like reliability to that playing field. GM's engines and trannies could compete in reliability, but the rest of the car--not even close.

So I understand where GM is coming from. They really tried as far as putting money into it, but just poor Oldsmobile got sent out to pick the wrong fight. I understand it, but I'm still sad. I would be very happy to own an Alero, Intrigue, or Aurora. Oh well, maybe used someday.

82-T/A

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2000 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/AClick Here to visit 82-T/A's HomePageSend a Private Message to 82-T/ADirect Link to This Post
I agree, I think it's about time. As bad as it is to say that, Oldsmobile and Buick are competing for the same group of people. And since neither produce SUVs which are apparently really popular now, they needed to get rid of one of them.

I guess it was Olds.

------------------
Todd Jaspers
1997 Pontiac GrandAm SE
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE/V6
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 SE
http://www.ezshots.com/album.cgi?82tafiero/Apartment

Slammed Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2000 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroSend a Private Message to Slammed FieroDirect Link to This Post
SUV's are on the downturn with increasing gas prices and the realization that there out of place in a world that is being paved at a rapid rate. it has been forecasted that the station wagon will make a return , as well as the introduction of more (smaller) sport activity vehicles. Ford escape ,BMW X5 ect.

Gm has wayyyyyy too many divisions selling the same Crap. and I use crap , because thats what they try to pawn off. If they put as much effort into the corvette as they do the cavalier they would be viewed a lot better by the buying public. Instead of telling people what they want they should ask. I used to be a huge fan of GM , but now a days "Good enough" doesn't cut it. They sell the sizzle and not the steak.

Bye Bye Oldsmobile .... It's doubtful we will see you return , it's not 1930 and there isn't much room in the market place for a manufactuturer with multiple brands competing against each other.

------------------
Jonathan M McCreery
86 GT
17" Tr motorsports Typhoons Ground Control coil overs , Big bars front and rear , Mustang scoop , accel coil , no cat , 4spd , short shift , poly dog bone and bushings momo pedals and shift knob , round headlight conversion , Geni stainless steel oval exhaust tips. Pioneer 6000 CD player , Sony Mobile Amp. Currently doing big brake conversion...

kslish

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2000 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kslishSend a Private Message to kslishDirect Link to This Post
Guess I'm three for three in buying cars that GM abandons. I've got two Fieros and I have an '89 Olds Cutlass Supreme Coupe for my winter car (and for when I need a car with a real trunk). I also almost bought a Buick Reatta one time but it was sold out from under me. I really like my Olds too, still solid at 115,000 miles and drives like it was new. Plus, it's fully loaded and has the FE2 Sports Suspension option that makes it handle pretty good for a car with a back seat.

I was at an Olds dealer the other day looking at a sweet used '97 Aurora with less than 32,000 miles for around $13,000. Maybe I should pick it up to continue my adoption of GM under-appreciated orphans.

Ken S.
'87 GT and '86 SC
www.westpennfiero.org

p4n1c

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2000 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p4n1cSend a Private Message to p4n1cDirect Link to This Post
I'm proud to say that all I have been brought up on has been Oldsmobile. From my dad's '76 Cutlass Supreme(with fold out front seats(they folded out of the doors so you could sit on them outside the door, why? I don't know), from what I hear they were really rare because of safety), Delta 88 and the car they still have to this day riding with almost 400,000kms on the little 2.8, an '88 Cutlass Supreme International.
They made cars to last and it's sad to see them go. One car I plan on owning sometime down the line is an Olds 4-4-2. Rocket 400, 4 on the floor and dual exhaust. Anyway, not to ramble, but I think a moment of silence is due to the company that has been around since just before the start of the 20th century.

[This message has been edited by p4n1c (edited 12-14-2000).]

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2000 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post
I agree, Oldsmobiles are some of the highest quality cars available.. I'm gonna miss them.

------------------
steve@fieroproject.com
http://www.fieroproject.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock