Rust busting? by Richard Parnell
Started on: 01-24-2000 08:37 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Tom88gt on 01-26-2000 01:29 PM
Richard Parnell

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2000 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richard ParnellSend a Private Message to Richard ParnellDirect Link to This Post
I have rust on parts of my Fiero. I live in Hawaii where anything metal is known to disappear very quickly, even aluminum. I can generally take care of coarse rust spots but I'm wondering if anyone has a tried and true method of making rust disappear and then what refinishing paint/undercoat should I use. I'm specifically aiming at high visibility items like the door upholstery metal trim right next to the rubber window trim and items like that.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2000 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Do a "RUST" search on the tech sections. We've been touching on this topic on and off now for a couple months. My advice 1. Extend- it turns rust into a black metal primer. 2. Rubberized undercoating.
JetroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2000 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JetroGTSend a Private Message to JetroGTDirect Link to This Post
I have heard of a kit that virtually stops a car from rusting. It works off of your cars battery. I don't know really how it works but it puts a charge on the metal parts keeping them from oxidizing.
Tom88gt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2000 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom88gtSend a Private Message to Tom88gtDirect Link to This Post
It's kind of like a sacrificial anode.

A lot of boats use zinc for this purpose. Apparantly zinc gives up something a lot easier than steel.

The process of rust is some kind of electrical process, electrolisys? I think by introducing a small electrical charge throughout the body, it some how sacrifices itself instead of the steel.

I've heard that as long as the car is running it won't rust because of the current flowing thru the body. When it's parked, this device keeps enough current flowing thru the body to prevent electrolysis.

I bought one once for my 914 (they have a major rust problem) but I then went overseas for 3 years and the battery died shortly I'm sure. So I can't say if it was effective or not.

I don't have my physics books anymore. Can someone shed some light on the subject of electronic rust control.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock