3.1 longblocks for sale???? by Greg Piet
Started on: 01-19-2000 03:40 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: fieroshop on 01-20-2000 09:07 PM
Greg Piet

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2000 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg PietClick Here to visit Greg Piet's HomePageSend a Private Message to Greg PietDirect Link to This Post
I am pretty sure my 2.8 gave up the ghost, so im gonna have to do some serious engine work. Since I dont have the facilities to do it myself it will go to my local fiero mechanic. I was thinking i would likely have to replace the motor at minimum with a shortblock. Can somebody tell me if anyone sells the 3.1 longblocks, and if there is any ECM changes necessary. If it is a straight drop in I think I'll have the mechanic do that but I need to know of some places that sell a 3.1. I am so disturbed that my little fiero is ill a am preoccupied about that above all else. Any info for this would be greatly appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2000 06:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
I got a Grooms 2.8L long block from Ed Parks at the Fiero Factory (fierofactory@juno.com or (256) 420-5391) and am very pleased. They also sell a 3.1 and a 3.4 all with warranties.
I think a 3.1 is plug n play with no ECM mods required.
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2000 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
You have to make sure you ask for the correct 3.1 engine. If you get one that is used in, let's say a Corsica, then the pistons will be the wrong ones for our cast iron heads, but the right ones for the aluminum heads. I know for sure that the early 90's GM minivans had the cast iron headed 3.1 engines. If you get one of these, it should be a direct bolt-in if you use the Fiero intake, pulleys, belts, and accessories. The cam is very mild on these engines, so if you want any performance you may consider swapping in a better cam.
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2000 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
This is a little off-topic, but I was wondering if anybody has the specs for the 3.1 V6 that came in the 95 Chevy Lumina. My friend just got one of those and it has some balls... e-mail anything to me. TIA
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2000 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
This auto wrecker in the sounth-easter US has GM V6 long block engines with variuos mileage for $350-450. You may want to see if they have anything you can use.

http://www.tacreationsusa.com/v6.htm

WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2000 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIRODirect Link to This Post
Why go 3.1 when you can have a 3.4? Check out the threads about the 3.4. It will use the 2.8 harness with the 2.8 ECM with no problems. The ECMs are not as finicky as you would think.

[This message has been edited by WKDFIRO (edited 01-20-2000).]

fieroshop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2000 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroshopClick Here to visit fieroshop's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroshopDirect Link to This Post
I highly recomend going to a 3.4 That is what I'll be doing the most of as soon as I get my template so that I can drill and tap the bolt holes for the starter on th e opposite side.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock