Started on: 01-12-2000 07:19 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Monkeyman on 01-15-2000 06:17 PM
Shaun41178

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
User Banned

Report this Post01-12-2000 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shaun41178Send a Private Message to Shaun41178Direct Link to This Post
Not an entirely new forum but an add on I guess you could say.

Here is what I propose.

About every 3-5 days or so someone new comes on and asks about 2.8 engine upgrading or stroking to a 3.1 or dropping in a 3.4 engine. I think that we should add a new posting forum for all these posts. Where they have there own "thing" like "General" and "Technical" do. Perhaps title it 2.8 upgrades or something to that affect. That way we keep all the posts about the v6 engines in one place so they are easier to find and new members coming on won't ask how to get more power from their 2.8's because they don't know how to use the search function. By having a designation like the others it will make it easy for them or us to go to this forum instead. This way all the engine related topics stay in the same area and makes them easier to find. The same goes for the 4 cylinder as well. Like add these new forums under the for sale section or do some rearranging or something.

What do you think people? I for one think it is a good idea. That way we don't have the same questions popping up every 3-5 days in the tech section. CLiff any ideas about this? Let Cliff know people.

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2000 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
I think Cliff put questions like this on the poll everyone received from him in their e-mail box several weeks ago. I think he is considering it, along with a very general chat section that doesn't even need to be Fiero related.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2000 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Apparantly, not everybody received this email. I got about a hundred "Undeliverable" return-emails. For anybody who hasn't received the email about "The Poll", you can go here to see what we're talking about.

So far, from the 600 members or so who had received the email, only 133 members took the poll.

william_thorniii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2000 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for william_thorniiiSend a Private Message to william_thorniiiDirect Link to This Post
I had been wondering if we were going to get any new areas or not. I remember seeing that the polls seemed to be congruent with the way that I had voted.

William T. Thorn, III

2birds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2000 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2birdsSend a Private Message to 2birdsDirect Link to This Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but some of you almost seem offended by a common topic re-appearing now and then. Sure, not everybody knows how to use the search function, but sometimes the answer just isn't in an old thread. Not everybody checks the board every day, and sometimes you can get some new ideas with a fresh post on an old topic. New products/techniques/experiences, especially as the membership grows.
fierospeeder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2000 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierospeederClick Here to visit fierospeeder's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierospeederDirect Link to This Post
i was internet lazy to take the poll
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2000 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Seems like the use (or lack of use) of the Search function is a hot topic. At a desktop video site that I visit a lot (when I'm not here of course), this very subject recently came up for discussion. A few of you might get a kick out of reading what some of the fellas there posted about it.

http://forums.matroxusers.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002785.html

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2000 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
But in all honesty Patrick, the Search function of the UltimateBB software is incredibly slow and bogs the server down quite a bit. It will also not work if the threads aren't indexed properly. Remember whenever you did a search here, you would get all these unrelated messages? That mas my fault. I hadn't rebuild the index once after making some changes.

I'm thinking of changing the search function myself to speed it up, it shouldn't be all that difficult.

Dan86gt3.8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2000 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan86gt3.8Send a Private Message to Dan86gt3.8Direct Link to This Post
ya A section for engine up grades, ie biggers 6's, turbos,superchargers,v8's would be real cool. thats my $0.02
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2000 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Cliff, if you were to try the Search function at the site that I linked to in my last post, you might be surprised. As I stated in one of my posts there, it works at hyper-speed. Both your site and that one use the (same?) UBB software, so I don't know why there's such a difference in speed. The Search function here is rather slow, but I'm not complaining. I'm just happy we have it here, whatever it's speed.
Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2000 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
I'm not really chatty and and hate to bug people with stupid stuff But sometimes after beating my brain out for days I just need a friendly note mentioning that pushing in the clutch helps the starter engage or some such. Hopefully everyone will respond to the poll and we can have Slow, Fast, and Been there Done that sections.
PFF
System Bot
DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2000 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
It does seem like that people dont realize they have access to previous threads, and either dont know about or dont bother with the Search function. One solution to this could be a large Search button, maybe at the top of the forum selection page.

On the other hand, our Tech Section is rapidly approaching 15,000 posts. I dont think its a bad idea to divide the section up into a 4 cyl, 6 cyl, and aftermarket engines.

WKDFIRO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2000 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WKDFIROSend a Private Message to WKDFIRODirect Link to This Post
Although the search option is available wouldn't a FAQ section be more convenient? I have seen such sections in other websites and they seem very helpful. I have suggested it to Cliff on his poll but what do you all think?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2000 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

A comprehensive FAQ section would be a nice addition to the site except that it is something that would take an awful amount of work to properly put together. Somebody would have to write everything up.

The advantage of an efficient Search function is that the material is already here, it's just a matter of finding it.

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2000 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes there are just too many different threads containing the word(s) you are searching. Sometimes the word is in the header and sometimes it's in one of the posts. Sometimes it's relevant and sometimes it's not. I searched for something (too many "some"s I know!) not too long ago and found something like 150 different threads containing the subject I was looking for. It took me over an hours to finally track down exactly the right one. Sometimes (there I go again) it's easier and much quicker to just ask the question again unless you must know the answer today. Just a thought from the peanut gallery!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock