Started on: 11-25-1999 02:20 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: batboy on 11-26-1999 09:19 AM
batboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-1999 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Most of us chat about mods and engine swaps, but I was wondering how many people have or are currently doing a true Fiero restoration? You know, rebuild and restore the car back to brand new condition like it just rolled off the assembly line. I'm seriously considering doing that with my 87 SE.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-1999 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Batboy, sometimes I look and say "what did I do" (speakers boxes, faceplates, cupholder, etc.) but if you, like me, have everything to return it to original why do it now? Maybe it will be important someday for value, but for now the things we change is what makes our car feel like home! If your happy with your mods-keep'em!!
Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-1999 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
Batboy, if you want to do a restoration on your 87, then I say go for it! With the current availability of parts there should be no major headaches involved. I think Fiero's make excellent restoration candidates because of their unique construction. I totally dissassembled my 84 a couple of years ago down to the bare spaceframe primarily to to a mechanical restoration of the car. (It had 300,000 miles on it and is my daily driver.) It took me about 30 hours or so to take the car apart so I could inspect it for any worn or damaged parts. I didn't go through the engine or transaxle at the time since they were only 2 years out of overhaul. I replaced about $1200 worth of parts-mostly suspension and a battery box-and gave the body panels a new coat of paint. I chose not to replace any of the interior stuff at that time, but probably will in the next year or so. The car was off the road for about 3 months while I tinkered with it and now it drives like new. It's a great way to really get to know your car.
Rod
fieroshop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-1999 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroshopClick Here to visit fieroshop's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroshopDirect Link to This Post
I'm currently restoring an 87 GT for one of my customers. We did change a few items, like side scoops and instead of silver we repainted Fiero yellow.
I've also done several back to stock and also in the process of restoring an 84 Indy Pace.
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-1999 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I was just thinking out loud, but most people can and do fix or replace things that break or wear out. It's also fairly easy to add mods by saying, "I think it'd look better with a bigger front spoiler or handle better with coil-over shocks." But, it takes a real commitment of time and money to restore a car back to stock showroom condition.

I have my Batmobile that is heavily modified. However, my 87 SE is completely original, except the stereo, and there were only about 1,400 of these 4 cylinder SE models built in 87. That doesn't mean it's worth anymore or special, just sort of a little rare. On the other hand, maybe is easier just to buy a super low mileage Fiero that's been in storage.

Come to think of it, I already have too many hotrod, streetrod and old truck projects right now. Maybe (as I can afford it) I should to look around and find a good 84 Indy car and a nice 88 GT to eventually round out my Fiero collection.

Oh, well...maybe I'll just fix me a leftover turkey sandwhich and quit thinking so much. Maybe I need to find me a woman, I could fix her up with a yummy turkey sandwhich and a sporty 87 Fiero SE...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock