New Members!!!!!!! by DXR_DAD
Started on: 09-27-1999 09:57 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: Formula on 10-01-1999 07:27 PM
DXR_DAD

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-1999 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to say Whatz Up, Glad to see more and more members. That means more and more FIEROS and if your a part of this fourm if you don`t then you will have a MONSTER Ride!! Can you feel the fever???

PS. I tried to get the profiles of some of the new members to see their locations but I could not get in. Is it my machaine??

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-1999 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Well, I see that one of our esteemed members lives in San Francisco and is interested in cars, basketball, and money.

Does that answer your question?

DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-1999 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
Ok, Ok, might be time to upgrade the machine??
DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-1999 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
Could be upgrade time...Maybe a NOS kit?
fieroshop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-1999 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroshopClick Here to visit fieroshop's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroshopDirect Link to This Post
Hey DXR_DAD where are you located. If I'm not mistaken you are in the San Francisco Bay Area. If you are then I know who you are. Am I correct. By the way I have been a member for a long time but have not been active until just now.
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-1999 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
We talk about hotrodding our Fieros all the time and since you mentioned computer upgrades, well... I've hotrodded my custom built computer. In computer geek terms it's called overclocking. I have a Intel Celeron 300 MHz CPU chip (4.5X locked multiplier) that I'm running on a 100 MHz bus speed (normally 66 MHz) which produces a clock speed of 450 MHz. More power in true hotrod tradition. Anybody else in the forum tried overclocking their computers? This is actually my third successful overclocking attempt and my best. I've been running this setup since last February.
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-1999 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
I'm running an Amd k-6 300mhz chip that I will occasionaly run at 350 or 400, but it'll give me errors sometimes so I usually don't.. I find that custom building a computer is the only way to do it. more power!
WGraffiKs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-1999 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WGraffiKsSend a Private Message to WGraffiKsDirect Link to This Post
Regardless of my overclocking, the car just won't GO any faster! What gives???
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-1999 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Batboy, I have my C366 running at 550Mhz without a problem. Only on hot days it needs extra cooling. Kinda like my Fiero (to keep it Fiero-related )!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-1999 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Hey Cliff, I'm one notch up on you. I have my C366 running stable at 567 MHz at 2.0 volts. I tried it at 612 MHz, but even at 2.3 volts it wouldn't load Windows.

My other hobby, besides keeping the Fiero running, is shooting and editing video. With non-linear editing, you can't beat brute processing power for rendering.

batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-1999 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Cooling is always a concern when you're overclocking. I have a triple fan and massive heat sink on my CPU), a front case fan, and an expansion slot fan in the back. Of course, it also has the normal power supply fan too. Wow, you guys or getting 550 or better out of a Celery 366? I'm impressed! I've got my 300A to run 464 using the turbo mode on my Abit BH6, but never could run it stable at 504 MHz. It would boot, but then lock up in the windows start-up everytime.
PFF
System Bot
DJRice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-1999 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
I bet your computers sound like a jet engine now....and you cant leave loose papers on your desk when you boot your machine.

You have to wonder if 'Hot Rodding' in the future will be cryocooling the processor in your dash, so you can overclock it....

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-1999 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't it be nice if making your Fiero go faster would be just as easy? (notice my pathetic attempts to keep this Fiero-related?)

Patrick: my C366 runs stable @ 550/2.0V. If I enable the turbo option it'll only go to 556 but it will not boot then. I'm content though with 550!

Batboy: I've seldomly heared of a 300A go over 450, but it could be that any of your plug-in cards don't like the non-standard (over 66) busspeed.

(Ok, I got the words Fiero, Turbo and Speed in one message - now I don't have to kick myself of the forum!)

DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-1999 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
YES!!! It's me FieroShop Just got a E-mail from Ray. I've been on this fourm for a good amount of time, almost from it's birth. This is where most of all my help comes from.
DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-1999 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post

DXR_DAD

2440 posts
Member since Mar 99
Cliff & Batboy I have entered the BLACK HOLE with computers and now I can't get out!! I don't know what you guys are talking about.
Can't I just add a chip and power pulley??

If Tom can get me another deck lid scoop I will mount it on my cpu to keep it cool??
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-1999 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Cliff, I have a co-worker that runs his Celeron 300A at 504 MHz., but not many will do that. I've heard that 80% or more of the 300 chips will overclock to 450. Any idea on the percentage of 366 chips running at 550? I thought that it was a fairly low probability, but I'm hoping I heard wrong.

DXR_Daddy, overclocking is not all that hard to understand. To figure out the clock speed of your computer, you need to know the bus speed and the CPU multiplier number. The two standard bus speeds are 66 and 100 MHz, but some motherboards have a larger range of possible bus speeds. Motherboards have jumper pins (or in the case of my Abit board--you can change all this in the bios) to change bus speed and CPU multiplier so that you can upgrade to a different CPU chip if you want.

For example: my 300 MHz chip has a 4.5 multiplier and is supposed to run at 66 MHz clock speed (4.5 X 66 = 300). By changing to a bus speed of 100 MHz (4.5 X 100 = 450) I'm running my 300 MHz computer at 450 MHz. I have a much cheaper 450 because I only paid for a 300 chip. Does that make sense? There are drawbacks to this...not all chips will overclock, some will not be stable when you overclock them, you void your warranty (if they find out), and you run a slight risk of damaging your CPU, especially if it gets too hot. Overclocking class dismissed.

Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-1999 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Just think, until I read all this overclocking stuff I was perfectly happy with my Dual Pentium Pro 200 system. It might be time to drag that dual P2 board out of the closet and slap in a couple of CPU's. Let's see, 2 p2's at 500 mhz each. . .
DXR_DAD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-1999 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DXR_DADSend a Private Message to DXR_DADDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Batboy, but I think I will leave the CPU stuff to DXR_MOM. She's good with that stuff. I think she`s getting us a new one soon.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-1999 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Batboy, from week 25 and up, the C366 has an almost 100% successrate of running at 550. Some with extra voltage, some with extra cooling, but they all seem to do 550.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-1999 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Or higher...
batboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-1999 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I feel the need...the need for speed! Whether behind the wheel of one of my streetrods or Fieros or even sitting at my computer. I'll have to look into this Celery 366 thing some more. A friend has one of those 366 chips that he bought early last spring, but he can't overclock it at all. Maybe it's one of those "before week 25" chips. Thanks for the info, I learn stuff all the time on this Forum. Even non-Fiero stuff.
PFF
System Bot
DJRice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-1999 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post
I wish that we would have had this discussion last spring before I bought my 450MHz P2.....

The money I saved could have gone into my Fiero. (threw the car in so Cliff would stay happy!)

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-1999 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
DJRice, that is exactly why I went this path instead of buying a P3/550. It saved me a good $800 or so which nicely pays for my Fiero's brake repair next week!
Formula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-1999 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
So how exactly do we overclock a v6 to 500HP

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock