Replies: 9
Last post by: Motorhead on 04-02-99 04:14 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 693
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-1999 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageClick Here to Email Cliff PennockSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Well, I had the change to drive a Fiero with a 3.4L V6 and was very impressed with its performance. It did 0-60 in 6.2s!!!

My standard 2.8L V6 does 9.6s on a hot day, and 8.2s on a cold day... Luckily here in Holland most days are pretty cold. ;)

IP: Logged

DaRkLoRD

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-1999 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDClick Here to Email DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post

Hmm.. a friend of mine, who is prone to exaggeration, says his '89 Olds Cutlass Supreme will do 0-60 in under 6 seconds, with a totally stock 2.8L V6.. His car is all steel, how could have better acceleration than a Fiero? (which I'm guessing is lighter)
The most likely answer is that my friend was exaggerating a bit about his car.. he does that a lot.

Currently I'm driving a 95 Taurus, with a 3.8L V6.. I'll have to time that sometime..

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-1999 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageClick Here to Email Cliff PennockSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

0-60 in under 6 seconds? That would be extremely fast... Not a lot of cars can do that so I think he might be exaggerating a bit.

A Fiero is quite heavy because of its all-steel frame. Mine is about 2900lbs.

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-1999 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDClick Here to Email DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post

Another friend of mine drives an 89 Beretta,
also with the 2.8L, with a 5spd manual. He said he can do 0-60 in about 8 seconds, and his car feels fast.. the olds on the other hand, feels slow and sluggish. but of course that's just my imagination, cause everyone knows oldsmobiles are way better than anything else ever built.. *sarcastic*

DaRkLoRD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-1999 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DaRkLoRDClick Here to Email DaRkLoRDSend a Private Message to DaRkLoRDDirect Link to This Post

speaking of the weight of a Fiero.. a while ago on a kit car newsgroup, there was some talk of creating a custom tube frame chassis for a Fiero kit. I'm not sure what the weight for that would be, but I imagine it would make the Fiero much lighter.

That's one of the reasons I like the Fiero so much, there's so much you can do with it. :)

raceknb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-1999 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raceknbClick Here to visit raceknb's HomePageClick Here to Email raceknbSend a Private Message to raceknbDirect Link to This Post

I saw a listing on a web page about a turbo charger for the 2.8 ltr. Does anyone know of, or have driven ove of these pocket rockets. They claim a 35% increase in mid range hp and 50% increase in torque. The kit is about $3500 and I am curious if it is worth the trouble. Or would I be better off to do the 190hp v6 replacement.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-1999 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageClick Here to Email Cliff PennockSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Some time ago I had spoken with a guy in the U.K. who had installed turbo-sets in a few Fieros and he said that for the performance you get, it's a lot of money.

I still want to increase the performance of my Fiero, but I haven't decided what to do yet. So far, I have four choices:

- Swap the original V6 for the 3.4L V6 ($????)
- Swap the original V6 for a V8 ($????)
- Turbo charger ($3500)
- Install a new camshaft and headers ($1000)

The latter has my preference so far and will give you anywhere between 20-40hp extra *and* it can be done in only a few days...

black86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-1999 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for black86gtClick Here to visit black86gt's HomePageClick Here to Email black86gtSend a Private Message to black86gtDirect Link to This Post

As for the olds doing it in under 6 secs there is not a chance. The olds has a 2.8l but not the same as the fieros. The fiero has the HO model and gets soem extra hp. My grandmother drives an olds, and I had the same question. THe stock 2.8l should be running better than 9 secs, should be in the low 8s to mid 7s at least. I have seen stock fieros numbers that put the v6 at 7.5 as an average. The turbo set up would be great and it will make you faster than 90% of the production cars. Ask Dennis LaGrua about that he did it for $800. I think he goes to 60 in like 6.2 or something or maybe 6.1. NOS could be another option, as NOS makes a kit for the 2.8l-3.4l GM 60* engine that puts out 70hp for about $500. I am looking to add a power pulley and hopefully some nice headers soon. NAyone know abotu doing this, past experience? I would like to hear it. I would also like instructions on doing it especially for the headers. Thanks.

GREENDANO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-1999 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GREENDANOClick Here to Email GREENDANOSend a Private Message to GREENDANODirect Link to This Post

I heard on another BB that the power pulleys are actually worth only about 2-3 HP. That's a lot of coin to only get 3 HP. Bang for the buck..NOS!! But, it's rough on the motor and shouldn't be put on a motor with any kind of milage over maybe 30,000 or so.
As far as engine upgrades, I'm in the middle of a 3.2 swap....Stock 3.1 Camaro crank with a 0.040 overbore, with a GM performance cam. It should make around 180-190 HP. The build-up is similar to PISA's 190 HP motor.
Dan-O

Motorhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-1999 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MotorheadClick Here to Email MotorheadSend a Private Message to MotorheadDirect Link to This Post

Sorry ya'll, but my Datsun 280ZX turbo will do 0-60 in under 6 seconds all day long with no complaints! The Z car is much lighter than my Fiero.

HOWEVER, the Z can't touch the Fiero on a curvy road, which is why I own the Pontiac.

If it's a drag racer you want, drop a V8 into the Fiero! Will ruin the beautiful handling of the car, but it'll sure expedite the time to speed!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock