Started on: 06-22-2013 10:54 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Will on 06-26-2013 08:48 PM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I've been wondering this for a while, so I cut open one on a bad hose set to see.

So what's in it?

Empty!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
Well great! Then I don't feel bad for flushing mine!
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Direct Link to This Post
It might have a purpose. It might even be important. The one core engineering course I passed was thermodynamics, much of which was about the refrigeration cycle. Temperature goes up with pressure so after the refrigerant is compressed it's hotter than the outside air and can be cooled by being passed through the condenser. Then when it's allowed to expand, the pressure goes down, but the refrigerant was cooled in the condenser so it's now colder. This is what goes through the evaporator and cools the air inside the car. That little muffler thing might be the expansion tube.

From what I understand though, the expansion tube is just that, a tube. This bump might still have a purpose. Plumbing systems often have 'shock absorbers' which are nothing more than empty pipes that prevent that bang you sometimes get when the water is turned off or on.

The window washer has a similar device in the line leading to the windshield nozzles. The one on my SE was open so I glued and taped the two halves together. Then I wondered, maybe there was supposed to be something in there, like a ball, say to keep the fluid from running back into the pump. Anyone know?

DJErikd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJErikdSend a Private Message to DJErikdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 SE VIN 9:
The window washer has a similar device in the line leading to the windshield nozzles. The one on my SE was open so I glued and taped the two halves together. Then I wondered, maybe there was supposed to be something in there, like a ball, say to keep the fluid from running back into the pump. Anyone know?

That's a one-way, windshield washer check valve, part #25523494. Runs around $8 - $10

[This message has been edited by DJErikd (edited 06-23-2013).]

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Direct Link to This Post
In other words, yes, it should have a ball or something in it.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
damn. I thought it was like a glass pack for the a/c. Come on...you had to find something in there?
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't flush it unless you can do it off the car and make sure all of the flush comes out. All of it. All of it.
85 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 GTSend a Private Message to 85 GTDirect Link to This Post
One of the many things I have learned over the years is, if the manufacture spent money on research, design, development and installation, it serves a purpose.
There is very few things on these cars or any car that isn't needed or mandated by law. I remember a few years back when 60 Minutes did a story on GM about some defect that would have cost them $3 per car to fix and GM figured it was cheaper to pay any potential law suits rather than fix it.
jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Direct Link to This Post
Should the muffler go on 3800 custom hoses or not.
FieroNate

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroNateClick Here to visit FieroNate's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroNateDirect Link to This Post
The muffler is there for only one real reason... to muffle the pressure pulses so you don't' get piston pulses in the lines.

The last AC system I worked on I had the lines off the 'muffler' assembly... so I did what any curio person would do (who wanted it perfectly clean).... I cut it in half cleaned it out with solvent then put it back together and welded it shut again. Worked great and was way easier than cleaning it. Only trouble was finding the crimp fittings to have it re-crimped.

I was quite amazed at the particles in it...
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 GT:

One of the many things I have learned over the years is, if the manufacture spent money on research, design, development and installation, it serves a purpose.
There is very few things on these cars or any car that isn't needed or mandated by law. I remember a few years back when 60 Minutes did a story on GM about some defect that would have cost them $3 per car to fix and GM figured it was cheaper to pay any potential law suits rather than fix it.

Sounds like McDonald's hot coffee!
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Muffler empty/full doesn't matter...

Muffler is to AC as Pulsator is to Fuel system.

That empty big space absorbs some compressor "noise" on the output line.
GM wouldn't spend a penny unless they thought the muffler was needed.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-24-2013).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32246 posts
Member since Mar 99

Had two parts inside...
Rubber disk and plastic part that makes that a check valve.
See my Cave, Windshield Wipe
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Muffler is to AC as Pulsator is to Fuel system.

That empty big space absorbs some compressor "noise" on the output line.
GM wouldn't spend a penny unless they thought the muffler was needed.

Correct on all counts. The AC "muffler" acts as a pressure damper, and it probably also reduces the peak pressure in the compressor high-side manifold. Then again, its main purpose may be simply as a cavity resonator to reduce noise. Most cars built in the last 25 years have one or more cavity resonators in the intake tract to reduce noise and "tune" the remaining sound ... even my 1991 Buick Regal.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 06-24-2013).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2013 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I never meant to imply it did nothing, but I did find it interesting there's nothing in there.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

... I did find it interesting there's nothing in there.

In technology, sometimes simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. The fact that it's "empty" certainly doesn't mean that there's nothing going on.
FieroNate

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroNateClick Here to visit FieroNate's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroNateDirect Link to This Post
Empty? What are you talking about? It's full of debris and air!
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I removed the a/c muffler from my 3800 a/c hoses after my first batch and noticed no difference in sound or pressure (pulsing or psi). On a quieter car, it may be more noticeable though.
Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

That little muffler thing might be the expansion tube.

The expansion tube (orifice tube) is inside one of the A/C lines in the front compartment. The muffler is just that... a muffler. It makes compressor operation quieter.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock