Started on: 06-13-2013 09:15 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: gtxbullet on 06-27-2013 04:25 PM
TheRealShadowX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post
What gives? 4spd GT was stored for a few months, I go to drive it and there is a lot of clutch slip.

Now there is no clutch at all. I investigate and the release arm is completely seized in the disengaged position. This common? Do I jut try to force it back?

Gah. So frustrated I can barely think right.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
I would first make sure that the slave is not locked up some way (you may have to unbolt it), then check the arm, there is a lot of pressure on the arm so I think it is unlikely that it is stuck where it piviots, however I think I have heard of this happening. Larry
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post
Forgot to mention that I pulled the slave off and have free piston travel, full range of motion.

The arm is without a doubt, quite stuck.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheRealShadowX:

Forgot to mention that I pulled the slave off and have free piston travel, full range of motion.

The arm is without a doubt, quite stuck.

There are bearings involved... at least one at the bottom of the shaft, I don't know what's at the top...
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post
Ttt
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
Shaft is probably rusted inside the upper bushing. Shaft has to be removed, sanded, greased and reinstalled. Trans has to come out. You can try pulling the seal and oiling it but if it is that tight it will probably not loosen up much.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
Put a wrench on it and pull it back, oil it up and move it back and forth a few times and loosen it up. If you can't pull it back with an extension on it then you may have more than a rusted bushing. Larry
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
Just swap in a 3.4tdc with a 5speed and call it a day.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
I have one sitting out of the car bolted up to and engine. With a 10 inch wrench on the arm it is easy to push it to disengauge the clutch, so I would just put a wrench on it and pull it back. oil it up top and bottom, if it kills a bearing or bushing it won't reall matter, you would have to take the engine out either way, and if breaking loose works you win. Larry
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I'd be hesitant to force the arm back, for fear of damaging the input bearing/sleeve unit. Those things are hard to find, and expensive when you do find them.

My guess would be that one of the following has happened:

1) The throwout bearing somehow got hung up on the sleeve (over-extended? rust locked?)
2) The throwout bearing somehow got stuck in the fingers of the pressure plate
3) The clutch disc or pressure plate has failed, and pieces of debris are stopping up the works

Any of these problems will require separating the engine and transmission.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
If any of those things have happened there will be a little movement in the arm where it is taking up slack, if there is no movemnt at all then it is the bearings or bushing that supports the shaft that you are trying to move. Larry
PFF
System Bot
gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2013 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post
you have PM good buddy

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock