Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads by zkhennings
Started on: 06-10-2013 04:48 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: zkhennings on 06-11-2013 06:35 PM
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
I just bought all the parts for a full grand am brake upgrade front and rear with a new full size blazer MC and Russell stainless braided hoses. Tired of my current braking performance, I sprung for heavy duty AC Delco rotors and Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads, list price ~ $49 per set.

I have been reading awesome things about the PF Carbon Metallic pads, they are supposed to be very streetable and also stop on a dime with no fade. They are also supposed to be very quiet. These are not the Z rated pads from the part number. I am excited to do the swap and I will report back on my findings. Rock auto has them on clearance right now, not sure how many are left.

Anybody else have experience with these?

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 06-10-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
I'm using them on a Grand Am swap too. They work very well with no squeal and low dust so far.

If you find the brake pedal quite high with the K5 Blazer MC then consider swapping to the 1993 S10 Blazer 2 wheel drive MC. I first used the stock Fiero MC and had a very low pedal. The S10 Blazer MC brought the pedal up nicely. Rumor has it the K5 Blazer MC will have a very high and stiff pedal with the Grand Am brakes and the S10 Blazer MC brings it down to near stock height and feel.

Also I found the "$100 Brake Booster upgrade" to be the single best upgrade of all. I would recommend this to every Fiero owner with a stock brake booster.
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

I'm using them on a Grand Am swap too. They work very well with no squeal and low dust so far.

If you find the brake pedal quite high with the K5 Blazer MC then consider swapping to the 1993 S10 Blazer 2 wheel drive MC. I first used the stock Fiero MC and had a very low pedal. The S10 Blazer MC brought the pedal up nicely. Rumor has it the K5 Blazer MC will have a very high and stiff pedal with the Grand Am brakes and the S10 Blazer MC brings it down to near stock height and feel.

Also I found the "$100 Brake Booster upgrade" to be the single best upgrade of all. I would recommend this to every Fiero owner with a stock brake booster.

I totally agree about the S10 brake booster!!!

------------------
84 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 3.0 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -12.05 at 111.7mph

mark1970

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mark1970Send a Private Message to mark1970Direct Link to This Post
the performance friction carbon pads are great, i had them on my 86 IROC. the Z rated pads and were great no fade at all but more they hot hot the better they stopped, no pre heat either... wish they had them for the 84-87 Fiero
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
I think the S10 MC is the same bore as the stock fiero one, but how would the MC change the pedal height? Do you mean the height the pedal stops at when you push down?

And I may do the s10 brake booster upgrade depending on how I like the feel of the brakes once they are installed

[This message has been edited by zkhennings (edited 06-11-2013).]

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Every master cylinder is different in design. And it's not just piston diameter. The stock Fiero master cylinder combined with the Grand Am calipers will result in a lower pedal both at rest and when you mash the brakes. Mine almost went to the floor when activating the brake pedal to stop the car. To fix the low pedal the full size K5 Blazer master cylinder was used in the original Grand Am swap by Randy Agee ( http://fierozone.tripod.com/realbrakes/index.html ). But the author learned that although this resulted in a high pedal, it also resulted in a very stiff pedal. Much later he successfully tried the S10 Blazer MC and found it to be near stock in height and feel. I too found the same results.

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
I read through Randy's site and he says using the full size blazer MC returned pedal to stock height and effort? Is there some other place where he revised this? I just did not see it in the brake swap page?

Hudini

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
It took me a little searching to find the page as there are several iterations of his upgrade floating around.

http://www.fierofocus.com/a...-%20Randy%20Agee.htm

"When doing the front only upgrade you may retain your original master cylinder. You will have approximately 1/2" more pedal travel and slightly less pedal effort. You may also use the full size Blazer MC mentioned in this article with approximately 1/2" less pedal travel and slightly more pedal effort, or you may use a 92-93 S10/S15 Master cylinder for near OEM pedal travel and effort."

I did the front and rear upgrade but found the above statement to be true as I used all 3 master cylinders in turn.

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 06-11-2013).]

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2013 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks for that info. I hope it doe not bump the pedal up too high, I like it where it is for heel toe-ing

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock