Spark Plugs by mmesko91
Started on: 05-23-2013 08:02 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: lateFormula on 05-26-2013 11:06 PM
mmesko91

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmesko91Send a Private Message to mmesko91Direct Link to This Post
Are there any pics for the removal and installation of spark plugs? I am 6'2 and I cannot get to the rear three. Please advise and thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I come in from the side (both sides). Remove the battery and the plastic shield on passenger side. Some people also take off the decklid. I have never had to do that.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I stand in the trunk and place a towel on top of the motor so you dont end up with bruses. You might try removeing the battery.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
- Remove decklid (I can remove by myself even with a spoiler on it). You do not have to remove it but I like the extra room and it's easy to do (takes five minutes)
- Mark and remove plug wires
- Spray some penetrant in there on the plugs
- Lay something to cover engine
- Let sit for an afternoon
- Remove plugs

Never have had serious issues with rear plug removal - and I've worked on a WHOLE LOT of V6 Fieros. It's not hard to do I promise. Also if you have access to compressed air I'd use it to blow crud out from around spark plugs.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 05-23-2013).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Just don't force the removal of the plugs. Too much torque can break the plug and will make the work even more difficult. When I did mine on my 88GT (after 50,000 miles) it took me three weeks for the penetrating oil to free up the plugs for their removal.
fiero2man

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero2manSend a Private Message to fiero2manDirect Link to This Post
Guys..you may think I'm nuts...BUT...I use a leaf blower to dry my cars and made a make shift "nozzle" with a narrow tube to blow into tight small spaces like spark plug areas..Try it !!!
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, that would work. They also sell canned air. A small compressor runs less than $50 on sale.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
Just did mine - pen oil for a week - cleaned out with air - hood off to get to rear plugs - mini fridge within 15 ft. Package of bandaids handy. One came out easy, four were a battle and the final plug- middle near the firewall snapped off I'll hit it with freon and an ez out tomorrow and hope for the best.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
I'm 6'1" and I managed to do mine by squatting in the trunk. I used a socket with a swivel adapter and just felt my way around to get the socket on the plugs. It took about an hour to get them done, but would probably have taken the same or more if I had to re&re the deck lid.

Wish I had thought of using a towel in the trunk, or not worn shorts, could have saved myself some pretty badly skinned knees....
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2013 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmesko91:

I cannot get to the rear three.

Originally posted by steve308:

...hood off to get to rear plugs.

What's the deal with the rear plugs? Those are the easy ones!

It's the three spark plugs towards the front of the Fiero that are a bit more of a challenge.

Now that we've clarified that... I take the decklid off my '86 GT as well. It has the "recall" weatherstripping on it which I find gets in my way to do the front plugs. Four bolts... and it's off. I just stand in the trunk, lift, and place the decklid on the roof (which is covered by a large flattened cardboard box). Makes the rest of the job much easier.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-23-2013).]

mmesko91

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmesko91Send a Private Message to mmesko91Direct Link to This Post
Thanks to everyone!
PFF
System Bot
Brucepts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceptsClick Here to visit Brucepts's HomePageSend a Private Message to BruceptsDirect Link to This Post
Flex-head ratchet and "wobble" extensions . . . and small forearms!

------------------
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
http://www.flowbenchtech.com

Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
I'm 6'4", and I can do the back plugs by leaning over from the trunk. After a couple of times you can "feel" where the plugs are.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2013 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I also suggest removing the deck lid. It makes the job MUCH easier, and it's very easy to line up when you put it back on.
If you leave the engine vents out, you can put the bolts in the decklid finger tight, close the lid and nudge it into place - then tighten the bolts down while it's closed through the vent openings.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Use Caution when removing the deck lid, you could bust out the rear window if not done right.
Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I also suggest removing the deck lid. It makes the job MUCH easier, and it's very easy to line up when you put it back on.
If you leave the engine vents out, you can put the bolts in the decklid finger tight, close the lid and nudge it into place - then tighten the bolts down while it's closed through the vent openings.

Probably easier to disconnect the dogbone and rock the engine back for a little more space.
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by steve308:

Just did mine - pen oil for a week - cleaned out with air - hood off to get to rear plugs - mini fridge within 15 ft. Package of bandaids handy. One came out easy, four were a battle and the final plug- middle near the firewall snapped off I'll hit it with freon and an ez out tomorrow and hope for the best.

Got Lucky !!!! also took the time to service the K&N filter cause you have to have the hood off to get it out!
lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2013 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaDirect Link to This Post
So many people make a big deal out of replacing the front three plugs on the Fiero V6. Today I replaced the plugs and wires on my daily driver Pontiac G6 with the 3500. Changing the plugs on the Fiero V6 is a walk in the park with a great big ole ice cream cone compared to replacing the plugs on the G6. It is similar to the Fiero in that the 3500 is a 60 degree V6 with the same spark plug orientation as the Fiero, but the access to the back side of the engine requires Houdini like positioning of your arms. After doing that today I would gladly change the plugs on a V6 Fiero any time.

[This message has been edited by lateFormula (edited 05-26-2013).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock