2.5 to 2.8 swap by schw32m
Started on: 05-14-2013 12:49 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: ShaneSAW on 05-20-2013 06:11 PM
schw32m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for schw32mSend a Private Message to schw32mDirect Link to This Post
Need some information on doing a 2.5 to a 2.8 swap.

Donor car is an 85 with a v6 and 4sp

Recipient is an 88 with a duke and 5sp

What I'd like to know is a basic parts list that I need to take off the donor car plus an opinion on which trans to use.

Both cars run but the 85 needs much more work than the 88.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Sounds awfully similar to what I was posting about a couple of weeks ago...

What parts will I need to transplant a 2.8 V6 from an '86 GT into an '88 duke coupe?
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilDirect Link to This Post
Maybe he's helping with with your project, & you don't even know it
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

Maybe he's helping with with your project, & you don't even know it

Either that or he's planning to steal my cars!
kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post
drop the entire cradle... wiring harness and all pops right out... you need the pcm.. coolant cross over and rubber lines... a/c lines if keeping.... i personally would keep the isuzu 5 spd in the 88 just for the exrta gear... but if you like the 4 spd. all u need is the shifter and cables aswell... i just literally dropped my drivetrain (v6) in about a hour ... 2 coolant lines 2 fuel lines.2 heater core lines, wiring harness,,, unplug relays, top strut bolts. vac lines and cradle bolts, vwala .. done.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
87 - 88 Duke cruise ran through the ECM. All 2.8 and 84 - 86 Dukes have a separate cruise system.

You will have to do some 'adaptive" wiring if you want your cruise to operate.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Just a suggestion that for the work involved to do this swap with a different engine you could have a significant engine upgrade . At the present time solid running low mileage 2.8L's are getting hard to find and professionally remanufactured. ones are more expensive than a good salvage yard find of say a 3800 N/A..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

schw32m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for schw32mSend a Private Message to schw32mDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

87 - 88 Duke cruise ran through the ECM. All 2.8 and 84 - 86 Dukes have a separate cruise system.

You will have to do some 'adaptive" wiring if you want your cruise to operate.

Don't have to worry about that 88 didn't have cruise..
schw32m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for schw32mSend a Private Message to schw32mDirect Link to This Post

schw32m

70 posts
Member since Sep 2010

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Just a suggestion that for the work involved to do this swap with a different engine you could have a significant engine upgrade . At the present time solid running low mileage 2.8L's are getting hard to find and professionally remanufactured. ones are more expensive than a good salvage yard find of say a 3800 N/A..

Since I already have the 2.8 in the other fiero that is in great shape there is no reason to actually do anything to the engine other than swap it into the 88. The idea here is since I have the 85 and I'm not sure I want to put the money into it I'd at least use it for a donor to swap out the duke in the 88.
Mr.Goodwrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.GoodwrenchClick Here to visit Mr.Goodwrench's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.GoodwrenchDirect Link to This Post
ShaneSAW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaneSAWSend a Private Message to ShaneSAWDirect Link to This Post
Since im also planning this. Im wondering about electronic as far as manual vs auto tranny or vise versa, Lets say the donor car/engine is equipped with a auto tranny and has the ECM but one wanted to use the manual izuzu are there any problems ECM wise? I know on most cars the computers are different between trannys?

Thanks
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock