How Much Is My Fiero Worth? by rmbrown09
Started on: 05-13-2013 12:14 AM
Replies: 25
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 05-17-2013 11:41 PM
rmbrown09

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmbrown09Send a Private Message to rmbrown09Direct Link to This Post
So this is the first time I have been on these forums in a long time. I'm a broke college kid who is going to be a senior next year, and can't afford to keep my Fiero alive anymore. I have probably put in about 2 - 3k per year the last 3 years just to keep it alive. About 4 months ago the clutch decided to kill itself overnight again. I have had this thing bled about 3 times now and each time it just bleeds fluid on the ground or gets air in the line. It actually feels like it's slipping now though. Had a new clutch professionally installed 1.5k miles ago too. 35k on the engine and transmission rebuild, new quarter panels and some aesthetic stuff. Suspension has never been touched and is old as the car along with the paint. Has 225k miles. New tires. Car drives but it's painful with the clutch barely catching it seems. I am just trying to gauge how much I should sell it for? I had a neighbor I told this story to say he'd give me $500..... But that feels like a kick in the nuts.

It's a red 86 GT. Going to be officially selling it soon but I wanted to know what a good asking price might be.

Including sig for reference.

------------------

[This message has been edited by rmbrown09 (edited 05-13-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
Well, a really nice one with a rod knock just sold in Seattle for $400.00 Larry
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilDirect Link to This Post
That's the thing about cars... rarely anyone cares what you put into it. They only see what still needs to be done to the car. Find any running Fiero, regardless of it's shape, minus the cost of repairs & time, & that's the cost they'll offer.
trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
220,000 mile car that you cannot drive? Lucky if you get $500.00 I would say. Larry
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
hows the paint? The interior? does "everything Else" work perfectly ? gauges, lights, brakes, the AC Cold? Tires? the picture you posted isn't showing much. a 225k fiero with a bad clutch ( even if you HAVE all the receipts for engine work) is not going to be much. If you spent $6-7k on the car in the last 2 years, you will never see that money again. Sorry
rmbrown09

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmbrown09Send a Private Message to rmbrown09Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

hows the paint? The interior? does "everything Else" work perfectly ? gauges, lights, brakes, the AC Cold? Tires? the picture you posted isn't showing much. a 225k fiero with a bad clutch ( even if you HAVE all the receipts for engine work) is not going to be much. If you spent $6-7k on the car in the last 2 years, you will never see that money again. Sorry

I understand I won't see the money again it was just back story.The AC does not work, however it's just out of Freon or whatever it is that fills it up.. My Dad said that the stuff that was used is now illegal though. Interior is actually in good shape. New Fiero Floor mats, new shift knob, gauges all work and everything looks nice. Dash is perfect. Paint is actually really good except the deck lid and fin are a little peel-y. I do have the receipts for the engine and trans work + the clutch. Everything else in the car is in pretty ok shape. I have replaced so many freaking pumps, seals, alternators, calipers, hub caps, control arms, gas tank filters, and more in the last 2 years I can't even think straight. Oh and batteries. 3 ****ing batteries in 2 years.

[This message has been edited by rmbrown09 (edited 05-13-2013).]

gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post
i think we need to back up and take a look at this again..

sounds like you have a simple hydraulic clutch problem causing the car to be barely drivable... personally if you did the motor, trans, clutch, and other things to the car... with a simple fix of the hydraulic clutch the car should come together and run and drive perfect again... I think you need to rethink selling it personally and just fix the hydraulic leak that has yet to be 100% completed in my opinion.. The hydraulics on the car are extremely simple and straightforward, and with the right guidance could be an easy fix to solve your problems.. instead of dumping the car for nothing and loosing all your hard work and money into the car...

I think you just need to start over with the hydraulic system and take it one step at a time... The master cylinder, the hard line, and the slave cylinder... I guarantee you that you will find the problem and the car will run, shift and drive great.. The pieces are there and half way put together now you just need to finish the puzzle in my opinion

If you need any help or have any questions personally me and everyone else are all here for ya and will find you easy affordable solutions...(trust me I had hydraulic issues forever)

Conner

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Gt (fully optioned, factory leather, 5-speed, CJB T-Tops: Black w/ gray interior and blk wheels)
1992 GMC Typhoon #0203
1971Chevorlet Corvette 454cu/ LS5/ 4-speed/ convertible
1993 BMW 850 Ci 6-speed V-12

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 05-13-2013).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
http://www.paulvargyas.com/Price%20Guide.htm Just a guide.. If the body/interior are in good/excellent shape the car is good for an engine swap.
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rmbrown09:

I have replaced so many freaking pumps, seals, alternators, calipers, hub caps, control arms, gas tank filters, and more in the last 2 years I can't even think straight. Oh and batteries. 3 ****ing batteries in 2 years.

What's going on that would necessitate three batteries in two years?

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
IF the clutch is slipping, it isn't hydraulic problem, that only causes a releasing problem. If clutch was repaired 1500 miles ago, it should still be in warranty and you should return it to repair shop.
I've picked up NUMEROUS cars that a little problem comes after all the major stuff has been fixed and I paid little to nothing for them.
From the description, I wouldn't sell for less than $1K, but keeping it sounds like a better option.
Battery replacements should've been covered by warranty as well.

------------------
Life is just SO much better when you own AND drive a Fiero!

gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rmbrown09:

About 4 months ago the clutch decided to kill itself overnight again. I have had this thing bled about 3 times now and each time it just bleeds fluid on the ground or gets air in the line. It actually feels like it's slipping now though. Had a new clutch professionally installed 1.5k miles ago too.

Thats not a slipping bad clutch.... thats a hydraulic problem
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
I woudn`t take 500.00 for it.
I would decide how much you would let it go for and if you can`t get that and have a place to keep it just hang on to it.
After a little time has passed you might have a renewed interest in it.
I mean how much is 500.00 really going to help you anyway?
KY87fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KY87fierogtSend a Private Message to KY87fierogtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I would decide how much you would let it go for and if you can`t get that and have a place to keep it just hang on to it.

I agree 100%!!! My first car was an 88 gt. I sold it to get a corvette,.....worst mistake I ever made. That was 14 years ago and a few months ago I finally was able to buy another. What you get out of it won't help much. Start another thread and inquire about what could be causing the issue.

If the freon is low,...then there is a leak!! It is true that the r12 is pretty much unattainable, however you CAN buy the R-134a retro kit.
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post
Do you have someplace to store it until you can resolve the issues with the car? Obviously you like the car but are bummed with all the issues. These are cars you have to work on yourself, unless you've got a big bankroll. You're giving it away for $500. Unless you will never be able to handle the mechanics of it yourself park it for awhile, cool off, and take another look at it later. Get some "ricer" to drive in the meantime. You could part it out for way over $500.
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Direct Link to This Post

raysr11

1254 posts
Member since Nov 2008
Do you have someplace to store it until you can resolve the issues with the car? Obviously you like the car but are bummed with all the issues. These are cars you have to work on yourself, unless you've got a big bankroll. You're giving it away for $500. Unless you will never be able to handle the mechanics of it yourself park it for awhile, cool off, and take another look at it later. Get some "ricer" to drive in the meantime. You could part it out for way over $500.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a sharp car for the miles and fieros with nice paint and body panels are hard to come by. I wouldn't think about selling it.

If it is as nice as it looks in your sig picture, then if you did want to sell it, find the right person looking for a good body fiero with good paint and they will pay 2000+ for one that needs a bit of work, possibly more if the chassis is rust free. Good paint is expensive and rust free chassis are hard to come by.

If you have gone through that many electrical components in the last couple years, you likely have a ground issue that is causing the premature failures.

Park it, ignore it, and it will be ready for you when you have more time and $$$.
ZaraSpOOk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZaraSpOOkSend a Private Message to ZaraSpOOkDirect Link to This Post
a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it

a car with an AC that doesn't work
with an alternator that doesn't work properly
and a clutch and/or transmission that doesn't work
is a parts car, and only a Fiero enthusiast would be interested

take a look at all the Fiero's with engine swaps or body mods that come up for sale on Ebay or Craig's list, most are lucky if they get someone to bid on them
rarely do they sell, and they almost never get anywhere close to what the owner put into them

don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger

[This message has been edited by ZaraSpOOk (edited 05-13-2013).]

rmbrown09

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmbrown09Send a Private Message to rmbrown09Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by raysr11:

I can't really store it anywhere. It's at my parent place now and my Mom wants it gone. I saw it today though just sitting there and I feel bad

Also someone broke into it down at school hence the tarp thing. That was the last straw because I can't afford to replace that either right now. Door handle on the driver side is pretty messed up and the passenger window is gone.
img -------- > This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by rmbrown09 (edited 05-14-2013).]

kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleDirect Link to This Post
My 87 base as is not much.
when not running cost of scrap metal
Having a car to drive where no grand kid can sit in the back seat and kick me in the kidneys PRICELESS
that is how much a Fiero is worth.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kendallville:

My 87 base as is not much.
when not running cost of scrap metal
Having a car to drive where no grand kid can sit in the back seat and kick me in the kidneys PRICELESS
that is how much a Fiero is worth.

Its usually not hard to find fieros for less than the price of scrap metal around here for some reason, hehe.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I agree too.

You will regret selling it cheap.

Sounds like you need maybe a new clutch slave and find a battery drain.
PFF
System Bot
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeDirect Link to This Post
#1 appeal to your dad.
#2 worst come to worst> find local Fiero club and try to sell it there
#3 Worst than that. > Craigslist

If it is in the back yard and currently an eyesore to your mom consider making a temporary shelter for it if you have the space. It may buy you some time. Easy way is to get a tarp from Harbor freight 29'*19' and some 1inch plastic tubing and make a quanset hut, it will cost you less than $100. It will hide and protect the car. You don't need the gravel foundation, and you can put spikes in the ground and put the tubing over the spikes to make it easier(you get the idea, make it your own). If you can get the parental units to go along it will save you money in the long run.

Just a thought!!!

Someone mentioned Paul Vargyas. Check out his page and the explanation he gives for the pricing. I just bought a 1988 Fiero GT Fastback from him this past weekend at a very honest price and then drove it back to Texas without a single problem. If at all possible keep the car and fix it. It will probably be cheaper than getting a new one. Even if you just end up using it as a backup car.

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 05-16-2013).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeDirect Link to This Post
I was just thinking, If you have put that much into the car then you practically have a car that you will not get any value out of if you sell it. How much more can really go wrong? If you sell it and buy another used car then you may be starting back at square one with repair bills. Find someone that has a parts car and get the glass fixed. Maybe appeal to a local Fiero club, tell them your story and see if anyone there can assist you in changing out your clutch. It is worth a try. At the same time maybe they can look the car over and see if there are any potential trouble areas you need to be aware of.
rmbrown09

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmbrown09Send a Private Message to rmbrown09Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hcforde:

How much more can really go wrong?

I've learned to never ever EVER EVER say that sentence anymore.

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
^^^ Yeah, that's just bad Karma!
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
If the freon is low,...then there is a leak!! It is true that the r12 is pretty much unattainable[/u], however you CAN buy the R-134a retro kit.
a guy just posted an ad on "classical Pontiac" selling r 12 for $8 a can. he's got a case of it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock