steering rack diagnosis by sledcaddie
Started on: 05-11-2013 06:00 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: fierosound on 05-30-2013 09:53 AM
sledcaddie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieDirect Link to This Post
So, how can one tell when the plastic bushing is worn out on end of the steering rack? Does this occur regularly at a specific mileage? (car only has 56,000 miles) What are the symptoms? Rattle, binding, etc? I'd rather be able to diagnose the issue rather than just start replacing things that don't need it. Thanks for any help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannDirect Link to This Post
Best way is to remove the clamps on the boots on the ends of the rack. Slide boots back far enough to inspect. If the bushings are worn you be able to move the rack shaft in its bore. You will want to inspect each side with the rack turned all the way(extended) to the side you are looking in. This can be done by removing the wheels(on jack stands of course)and reaching in from the sides.
However see more problems with worn inner tie rod ends and worn (rubber mounting) bushings than the inner rack bushings. Both will cause play in the steering. The mounting bushings will wear due to age(dry rot, cracking) and will cause the rack to move in the clamps holding the rack on the subframe. Best inspected by removing the plastic tray(cover) under the spare wheel assembly. You can see them from under the car, but if you want to get a better view, remove the tray.
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
On my Formula I noticed the bushing was bad because my aftermarket rims were rubbing, even though they shouldn't have been. If the bushing is falling apart, the wheels will turn right (I think) more than they will left.
One other thing which may help is I remember that when I turned the wheel all the way to the right, it would stop, but if I forced it a little, you could sorta feel the plastic crush and the wheel would turn a little more. As opposed to the other side where it just stopped.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
You can check the bushing easily by reaching down behind the radiator inboard of the overflow tank and grabbing the end of the tierod and seeing if there is any up and down movement. No disassembly required.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:
However see more problems with worn inner tie rod ends and worn (rubber mounting) bushings than the inner rack bushings. Both will cause play in the steering. The mounting bushings will wear due to age(dry rot, cracking) and will cause the rack to move in the clamps holding the rack on the subframe. Best inspected by removing the plastic tray(cover) under the spare wheel assembly. You can see them from under the car, but if you want to get a better view, remove the tray.

Where can I get replacement rubber or poly mounting bushings?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2013 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I'm NOT postive.... but I think the Fiero rack is an extended version of the Chevette rack.

So... the Chevette rack mount bushings may work (maybe size is different??) Anyone know?
(as a side note, I put new Chevette springs on the front of my 87 GT - works fine)

http://www.rockauto.com/dbp...d%2BPinion%2BBushing

Here's a picture of the Fiero rack bushing

Chevette power steering rack on a Fiero chassis

From here: http://www.mytajgarage.com/Suspension.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-30-2013).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock