Headlight motor question by jimlong67
Started on: 04-29-2013 08:47 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: jimlong67 on 05-01-2013 04:57 PM
jimlong67

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimlong67Direct Link to This Post
I took the headlight motors out and was going to upgrade to 2nd gen setup buy after seeing what problems Andrew (weloveour86se) had I changed my mind. When I took out my motors I think I manually turned 1 or both knobs. What I want to know is if I put both motors back and hook up the wiring and don't put the headlights in, if I switch the headlights on will both motors go to the up position and if I turn them off go back to he down position?
Thanks
Jim

------------------
When I read about the evils of drinking.
I gave up reading.
2004 White Sebring Convertible
1986 Black Fiero GT
Kathryn's Welded Metal Artist

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KillerFrogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggDirect Link to This Post
So when you install the motor back into the headlight housing, the light is in between its full up and full down position? If so, then yes, when you hook everything up and power the car up, the lights will go to their home position.
weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Ouch! lol Hey whats family for right?

Edit I left the single blue plug, unplugged till I was completely done on each side. Then carefully, with fingers out of harms way hooked them up. The headlight will go down to it's down position on it's own. This is with light switch in the off position of course.

It's so warm under this bus!

[This message has been edited by weloveour86se (edited 04-29-2013).]

jimlong67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimlong67Direct Link to This Post
Andrew
You have a PM
Jim

------------------
I gave up reading.
1986 Black Fiero GT

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2013 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weloveour86se:

Ouch! lol Hey whats family for right?

Edit I left the single blue plug, unplugged till I was completely done on each side. Then carefully, with fingers out of harms way hooked them up. The headlight will go down to it's down position on it's own. This is with light switch in the off position of course.

It's so warm under this bus!

Did you do a write-up? Thread link?

Thanks!

------------------
Jonathan

Please join me in prayer that forum member Wichita gives his life to the Lord Jesus.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/100383.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html

jimlong67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2013 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimlong67Direct Link to This Post
Ok, I hooked them up with the light switch off and when I connect the blue wire on each one the motor starts and keeps running. What might my problem be?? They worked ok before I removed them. Also when I turn the headlights without the blue wire connected both motors start and keep running.
Jim

------------------
I gave up reading.
1986 Black Fiero GT

[This message has been edited by jimlong67 (edited 04-30-2013).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2013 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Gen 1 + Motor(s) run on & on = motor has bad gear and likely other problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

weloveour86se

Feedback score:    (115)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2013 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weloveour86seSend a Private Message to weloveour86seDirect Link to This Post
Does the headlights and buckets et al need to be installed for the motors to stop normally? Will they just keep running without the buckets and arm and associated hardware?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2013 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Will they just keep running without the buckets and arm and associated hardware?

gen 1 Yes, run forever w/o anything to stop them.
gen 2 Yes, but Module times out and shuts down in 5-6 seconds.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2013 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post

Does the headlights and buckets et al need to be installed for the motors to stop normally? Will they just keep running without the buckets and arm and associated hardware?

It's the push against the limit switch that shuts the motors off when they've reached their travel. Without the pressure of them reaching the upper or lower limit, no pressure, no stop.
jimlong67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2013 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimlong67Direct Link to This Post
What I did was put the complete arm on (3 Pieces), connect blue wire until The Arm Stops. Then I momentary turned the headlight switch on. At that point I put the rest of the headlight together. They were in the mostly down position, I then connected the blue wire and they went to the down position. I hit the headlight switch and they went up. Job Done.
Jim

------------------
I gave up reading.
1986 Black Fiero GT

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave