ST Lowering Springs by Canyonflyer
Started on: 04-27-2013 08:22 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Ry86GT on 05-03-2013 01:09 PM
Canyonflyer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanyonflyerSend a Private Message to CanyonflyerDirect Link to This Post
I noticed a few vendors online have ST brand lowering springs in stock. Anybody have any experience with these? I can't find any information on the spring rates or if they come in any other colors than "Gawd Awful Green".

How about the West Coast Fiero 1.5 inch drop springs?

I've got Eibachs on one of my cars and like them, but I'd like to lower the car just a little more.

Thanks

------------------
Owner of:

1985 Pontiac Fiero Sport 2.5 liter 5 speed Isuzu
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8 liter 5 speed Muncie 282

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-27-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
I have the ST springs. They only come in green. You could easily strip them and have them powdercoated black or red or whatever other color you wanted, though.

Not sure what the spring rates are exactly. They ride fine. They're only for 84-87 as well, in case you have an 88.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyDirect Link to This Post
If ST stands for Suspension Technique I've used them for a long time. No complaints at all. Mine are gray though
Canyonflyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2013 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanyonflyerSend a Private Message to CanyonflyerDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, Suspension Technique.

I might have to try out a set.

------------------
Owner of:

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I had them for a couple of months (mine were blue). The ride was decent but the drop was low enough I couldn't get the jack under the car to change a tire. I switched to Eibachs.
Canyonflyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2013 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanyonflyerSend a Private Message to CanyonflyerDirect Link to This Post
I sent ST an email asking about the spring rates.

The first response I get was that they were discontinued and sorry.

So I asked again for the spring rates on the ones still being sold by vendors.

The guy comes back with the fronts are progressive and the backs are 200 lbs. WTF?

------------------
Owner of:

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Canyonflyer:

I noticed a few vendors online have ST brand lowering springs in stock. Anybody have any experience with these? I can't find any information on the spring rates or if they come in any other colors than "Gawd Awful Green".

As has already been mentioned, they weren't always green. The ones I had were gray.

I posted this image originally just over two years ago. On the left is the factory spring (DMF) that I took out of my '84, the middle spring is from Intrax, and the spring on the right is a Suspension Techniques unit. I suspect the Intrax spring is "progressive", but I would say this ST spring is not. I never used the ST springs myself, but a friend of mine who eventually installed them found the drop to be more than he wanted.

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mDirect Link to This Post
this is an email that I got about month ago when I bought mine from a member on here which where lime green but I didnt know what drop they was

jon,

Thank you for contacting ST Suspensions, our Pontiac Fiero lowering spring kit part number 60210 will lower the car 1.6" (front and rear) from factory height.

Brent Estrada
Technical Advisor

KW Automotive North America, Inc.
1075 North Avenue
Sanger, CA 93657
1.559.875.0222 ext. 145
1.559.876.2259 Fax
Email: brent.estrada@KWautomotive.com
Web: www.KWautomotive.com
This message and its attachments (if any) may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information and is intended only for the use of the addressee named above. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any error in transmission.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that you must not use, disseminate, copy it in any form or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error please delete it and any copies of it and kindly inform the sender of this e-mail by replying or send to info@kwsuspensions.com

hope this gives you some help
jon
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-03-2013 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Canyonflyer:
So I asked again for the spring rates on the ones still being sold by vendors.

The guy comes back with the fronts are progressive and the backs are 200 lbs. WTF?

That doesn't sound right. I'm pretty sure the spring rates are closer to 350 lbs. I think 350 in front and 300 in rear, maybe.
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchDirect Link to This Post
Here is my experience with online springs. Ordered set for my Nissan from speed daddy (ebay vendor). This vendor is very active and does sell some decent stuff (e.g. headers). BUT I gambled on an official looking spec sheet on their ad page stating the alloy of the springs and the spring rates which were exactly what I needed. I have a home brew spring tester and when the springs arrived I checked them. Advertised at 225/200 they measured at only slightly higher than stock ( 96-115). The company was good about return and credit , but seemed helpless to explain. Their ad continued to run long afterwards. These were chinese drop springs. Anyone fitting them would be on the stops most of the time, but would be "slammed." If any of you are interested I will describe my spring tester. I ordered a set of circle track springs (225) with pigtails which I will rework. As many of you may know an obvious major clue to any spring replacement of roughly the same coil count and coil OD is wire diameter. The chinese springs were the same as stock, while the circle track springs were .040" larger wire diameter.
Canyonflyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CanyonflyerSend a Private Message to CanyonflyerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

That doesn't sound right. I'm pretty sure the spring rates are closer to 350 lbs. I think 350 in front and 300 in rear, maybe.

Ditto . It was the same guy, Brent Estrada, that responded to my email. Either he was trying to get me to leave him alone or he's clueless.

I've got Eibachs on one of my cars and I love them. Seemed to be engineered just right for handling, but they don't lower the car all that much from stock. I wanted to get maybe another inch drop without worrying about the bump stops. West Coast Fieros sells some 1.5 inch drop ones and they have the spring rates listed. I'll probably look into them.

They are about 70 bucks more, but hey... you buy cheap you buy twice.

------------------
Owner of:

[This message has been edited by Canyonflyer (edited 05-03-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Ry86GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2013 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

As has already been mentioned, they weren't always green. The ones I had were gray.

I posted this image originally just over two years ago. On the left is the factory spring (DMF) that I took out of my '84, the middle spring is from Intrax, and the spring on the right is a Suspension Techniques unit. I suspect the Intrax spring is "progressive", but I would say this ST spring is not. I never used the ST springs myself, but a friend of mine who eventually installed them found the drop to be more than he wanted.

Holy Crap! I always thought my car might have been lowered. My wheel gap seems a bit smaller and I didn't think that my front springs looked like what a stock spring should look like: the colour seemed off, and it had a tag on it that I didn't imagine the factory would put on it.

The front springs on my car are EXACTLY like the one on the far right, from the grey colour right down to the black "front" sticker on the bottom of it! Thanks for posting, now I know...

Althought it makes me wonder what the back are.

Yes, it is low. Yes, the ride is rough (must try to avoid manholes/potholes - slow waaaaaay down on train tracks). Yes, cornering is very fun :-) As a daily I couldn't do it, as a summer cruiser I can live with it.

[This message has been edited by Ry86GT (edited 05-03-2013).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock