Car Just Died... by 85FieroFL
Started on: 04-23-2013 02:52 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Cheeze_87 on 04-24-2013 10:24 AM
85FieroFL

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroFLSend a Private Message to 85FieroFLDirect Link to This Post
85 SE Auto W/A.C. Completely stock

Guys help me out here. My car has been driving normal for a while and all of a sudden today i'm driving, i make a right turn and the car dies while driving. I pull it over to the median. So i check the back and nothing is loose. I am about to give up and call AAA but i go to back and push in the spark plugs, and the three connectors on the coil, none of them were loose to begin with i just want to make a better connection, and it started for me and i was able to drive it back to work. But i put it in park when i got to the parking lot and when the idle went below 1 it died. Whats going on here? Can someone chime in and help me here? Thanks you guys.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODDirect Link to This Post
When you crank it does the tach move?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
You are describing the symptoms of a bad ICM....so look for the tach to move when you crank it. This tells you that the primary ignition signal is getting to the computer. If the tach needle just sits there, The ICM or connectors are probably bad.
85FieroFL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroFLSend a Private Message to 85FieroFLDirect Link to This Post
Well i just went to go crank it now and it started right up and didnt die for about 2-3 minutes. But, when i was cranking it before the tach didn't move. So i'll check the ICM but why would the car start now without any issues?
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerDirect Link to This Post
Does it crank after it cools down?
85FieroFL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroFLSend a Private Message to 85FieroFLDirect Link to This Post
It always cranked, even after it died.
Cheeze_87

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheeze_87Send a Private Message to Cheeze_87Direct Link to This Post
Remove the ICM and take it to a major parts store, they can test it on a machine. If bad then replace but look for evidence of what caused failure. Moisture in area, heat (dirt underneath sink area), poor terminal connections kill them. If good suspect pickup coil. Might as well do cap and rotor while you are in there is they are older than 2 years. Good luck.
85FieroFL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroFLSend a Private Message to 85FieroFLDirect Link to This Post
No, all connections are new, including the distributor, rotor, icm, and cap. But i'll look.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
A bad ignition coil will also take out an ICM.

I have had good luck with delco ICMs and bad luck with car parts store brands. One ICM I bought lasted 3 days....with a lifetime guarantee....which means you could do it all again in 3 more days....
85FieroFL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85FieroFLSend a Private Message to 85FieroFLDirect Link to This Post
Update time:

I was able to drive it from work to Autozone to pick up a new ICM and then from Autozone to my neighberhood. But once i got into my neighborhood it died. I replaced the ICM but nothing happened. The tach wasn't even moving. So i unplugged the wire on top of the distributor that connects to the coil to check for a spark, and no spark. So i went back to Autozone since i have that part on lifetime warranty and bam the car started right up. My question to all of you is why would the car work again and then die again? And why did the ICM AND ignition coil both go out? I checked the ICM at Autozone and it didn't pass. Thanks you guys!
Cheeze_87

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheeze_87Send a Private Message to Cheeze_87Direct Link to This Post
Several possibilities. ICM are designed to work with a specific coil of specific resistance, inductance and voltage ranges. You said the coil was already replaced and aftermarket coils tend to not be as good as OEM coils. I have seen several cases where "high performance coils" fry ICMs and have experienced this myself. MSD coils killed a BWD ICM in about 30 seconds. So your coil could have fried the ICM, especially if it went bad (high internal resistance, fluctuating voltages, etc). Coils go bad from excessive heat and corrosion so check to see if your coil blower is still working in the trunk compartment. I'm sure you cleaned the coil mounting surfaces when you installed it for a good ground.

Resistance changes as a function of material temperature. When your car heated up it most likely changed the electrical signal enough to be out of operating range of some ignition system component. When it cooled back down you could drive it for a while. This over-heating or out-of-range operation of electronics will kill them very quickly. Cars are designed as "systems" and changing one part of the system can have dramatic effects on the rest. This is probably the cause of your problems.

It's good to see your inquisition as to the root cause of the issue. It will keep you from experiencing the problem again. To summarize: use quality OEM ignition parts whenever possible (usually Delco), keep clean, tight grounds and connections (use dielectric grease), make sure coil cooler is working. Hope this helps.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock