Fabricating a short low profile crab cap for the GM HEI distributor by MaxCubes
Started on: 04-23-2013 03:49 AM
Replies: 21
Last post by: MaxCubes on 05-07-2013 02:07 AM
MaxCubes

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
I decided to post this info on a seperate topic...

For those interested... and have a little time and patience and can pay attention to detail.
If you have limited space above your distributor... but want/need to keep your HEI distributor functional.
Then this may interest you.
Nobody makes a low profile distributor cap for the GM HEI distributor.
.... unless you get an aftermarket crab cap distributor (which will not use the stock pick up coil, or ignition module, vacuum advance, etc.)

I fabricated this distributor cap for my cadillac 4.9 engine
.... but this same cap could be used on any classic chevy, buick, oldsmobile, pontiac, or cadillac that uses an HEI distributor...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 04:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
First off... you will need to have a remotely located coil. Easy to do and easy to wire.

Plus, you have more choices and more powerful coils to choose from.

You start out with a cap from a 1976 Chevrolet pickup with a 250 straight six.

The yellow circled area will need to be cut out...

and a view inside the 76 cap...

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 04-23-2013).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Some HEI caps use hooks to retain to the cap to the distributor... and others use screws.
...You will need to cut off the hooks, if yours uses screws.

Here it is all cut out... cut it flush to the lower part of the distributor cap...

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 04-23-2013).]

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Next... get a distributor cap from a 1997 chevy pickup with a V8....
....or if you need a low profile distributor for your six cylinder... then get a cap from a 1997 chevy pickup with a V6

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
You will need to shave off some of the external ribs so that it will press into the 76 cap.
.... You will also need to shave it shorter...How short depends on how low you need it to be...

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Now shove it into the 76 cap... Don't epoxy it until you are sure it is clocked correctly and aligned with the rotor.
I would recommend using a micrometer, and test fitting it on a free spinning distributor off of the engine.

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
The cap has to be clocked right in reference to the distributor.... Turning the whole distributor will not fix an incorrectly clocked cap.
Thats why when you install a cap... it has a tooth that doesn't allow it to turn it once it is mounted to the distributor.
If the cap is not referenced correctly...(If the rotor is not pointing to one of the terminals inside the distributor cap when spark occurs...
then there will be no where for the spark to jump to. (spark will arch somewhere else)
When spark occurs...The rotor must be pointing to one of the eight terminals inside of the distributor.
Adjustment of timing... advanced or retarded.... is done by turning the whole distributor... not the cap alone.

Rotor height in relation to the terminals inside the cap is important also.
...but since the terminals are about a 1/4 inch tall there is room for error...
as long as the rotor is within this margin...but the closer to center, the better
...There is a little vertical shaft play is most distributors.

The gap from the rotor pointer to distributor terminals is also important
...it should be about .015 to .030 ... if closer it may hit when spinning ... if much wider, spark may jump elsewhere.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
You can use the four hold down holes as clocking reference...each hole should be dead centered between two terminals looking inside the cap

MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Ok...this picture shows how the firing order should be on engines that spin the engine clockwise....
chevy small blocks and big blocks, buick V8s, older cadillacs (368's, 425's, 472's, 500's)

And this is the firing order for distributors that spin counterclockwise...
oldsmobile V8's, pontiac V8's and cadillac 4.1, 4.5, 4.9
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004
This cap will be a nice 2 inches lower than a stock HEI cap.

Sound like to much work for you???

If so...then you don't need to read any further!

... cause you will still need to modify the rotor!

Use the 1976 chevy 6 cylinder rotor
....The stock HEI V8 rotor will not work...Too big

A little bit of grinding will be needed so that it will fit into the vortec distributor cap.

I'll get some more photos tomorro on that subject. Goodnight!

[This message has been edited by MaxCubes (edited 04-24-2013).]

ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
why not just pick up another distributor body, and mod the body for the cap? that way you can run off the shelf wear parts.

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

PFF
System Bot
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
Looks great! I might end up doing this.
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

why not just pick up another distributor body, and mod the body for the cap? that way you can run off the shelf wear parts.

Either way, This would make mounting my supercharger a whole lot easier!!! Keep up the good work.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereDirect Link to This Post
Really nice job. I used an Accel correct-a-cap to make things look neat on my sbc (87GT) I had no end of trouble trying to figure out why the engine just wouldn't run right. I checked resistance in the cap - all was fine. Finally found that the cap was sending spark randomly to wherever it wanted to. Your cap might be a perfect solution. The correct-a-cap used wires set in epoxy that crossed inside the cap. By using the factory crab cap, you have made a much better product. I think there are more applications than you might think.

------------------
woodys 427

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by woodyhere:

Really nice job. I used an Accel correct-a-cap to make things look neat on my sbc (87GT) I had no end of trouble trying to figure out why the engine just wouldn't run right. I checked resistance in the cap - all was fine. Finally found that the cap was sending spark randomly to wherever it wanted to.

LOL, yeah I've been there. I had one of those on my Opel GT with an SBC. Then the next problem was when the replacement cap failed while on a road trip. You'll never find a replacement if you need one on the road.

Archie
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post
Here is a picture of a bone stock ignition rotor from a 1976 chevy pickup with straight six...

... and here is the modified version... you can see it is trimmed on the opposite side from the pointer

again....this was done so it would fit inside the vortec crab cap.
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

MaxCubes

693 posts
Member since Aug 2004

Originally posted by ericjon262:

That is a good idea... but there are obstacles.
The first is that the floor on an HEI distributor is very uneven...
so even if holes are drilled and tapped for a crab cap.... it would sit uneven, and there would be large gaps
second problem... the igntion module would be in the way... so module would have to be externally located.
third problem...crab caps are very short... none are tall enough to to reach the base without hitting the rotor first...
unless a spacer is made (like the one I made from a 76 cap)

... it would require a very heavily modified HEI distributor to accept a bone stock crab cap...
and after all that, you would still need a modified rotor.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

third problem...crab caps are very short... none are tall enough to to reach the base without hitting the rotor first...

... it would require a very heavily modified HEI distributor to accept a bone stock crab cap...

I would suggest having an aluminum (or plastic) spacer/adapter made that will fill the open space from the shorter crab cap as well as change the mounting pattern/configuration so the adapter bolts to the dist and an un modified crab cap will fit on top. For the rotor, make a 1/8" spacer to bolt to the top of the dist shaft and then adapt the spacer to accept the stock vortec crab dist. The upfront work would be more involved, but for the life of the swap all wear components would remain stock.

Depending on how thick this adapter needed to be, you might start with a L31 distributor housing and cut it up (they are plastic) and bond it to the base of an HEI cap.

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MaxCubes:

That is a good idea... but there are obstacles.
The first is that the floor on an HEI distributor is very uneven...
so even if holes are drilled and tapped for a crab cap.... it would sit uneven, and there would be large gaps
second problem... the igntion module would be in the way... so module would have to be externally located.

What Eric and I are suggesting is to install the baseplate from the Vortec distributor onto the Cadillac distributor body/stem. That way the Vortec cap would attach directly to the Vortec baseplate and the Vortec rotor could be used.

Now if there's no pickup coil and module in the Vortec distributor, that could pose a problem.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Now if there's no pickup coil and module in the Vortec distributor, that could pose a problem.

The only thing in the vortec distributor besides the rotor is the cam sensor.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2013 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Ahh... didn't know if the Vortec PCM still relied on the distributor for primary triggering and the 24x in the timing cover for misfire detection like the OBDII LT1's or used the 24x for primary triggering. Must be the latter.
PFF
System Bot
MaxCubes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2013 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MaxCubesSend a Private Message to MaxCubesDirect Link to This Post

Some progress today with my mutant ninja distributor cap...

Some good and bad news....

The bad...
Looks like the cap will not work so great on the 4.9 Cadillac....
The thermostat housing is in the way where some wires need to pass...
Unless it sat higher ( but that's defeating its purpose of being low profile )

The good...
So I installed it on my 1980 Trans AM... and it runs great!
Didn't really need it there... but since I made an HEI crab cap, I wanted to test it out.
Looks cools though... and the wires go the right way.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock