Project Manhattan: v6 swap in 1984 fiero by vladfiero
Started on: 04-07-2013 08:59 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: vladfiero on 04-10-2013 08:39 PM
vladfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2013 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vladfieroSend a Private Message to vladfieroDirect Link to This Post
The following is my fiero, it is a 1984 fiero se with the 2.5L iron duke and a 4spd, i've had it for 5 years now. In the past month i have been working on a 2.8L from a 1985 fiero se given to me by my uncle a couple years back, the 1985 was a total rust bucket that had been sitting in a driving for at least 7 years, i managed to salvage many components from the car aswell as the engine. the engine sat in my garage for a couple of years after that with the rest of the car long gone. i have finally decided to swap it into my 1984 fiero the swap will be codenamed project Manhattan. I know that it is an 1984 and that it is harder to swap in an engine for electrical reasons. all advice and suggestions are welcomed aslong as they are constructive it is my first time doing a swap and rebuilding an engine, it is reallly a learning experience for me.

so in the past month i have been stripping the engine peice by piece to assess in which condition the engine was in. i started with the penulum and the rest of the intake components, they were heavily carbonized and had a crazy amount of sludge everywhere, hours of scrubbing later and a can of oven cleaner later they look decent but not perfect yet. next i attacked the valve covers they too where covered in a thick sludge but where much easier to clean then the intake components. after that my dad, my two neighbours and i attacked the block it self having detached the auto transmission earlier, within three hours the block was completely naked. DUN DUN DUN!!!!!! it wasnt all too pretty in there was about an inch of mud like substance in the oil pan, since my uncle had never changed the oil in it, and one of the cylinders was heavily scratched probably from a piece of sparkplug falling in at one point of the engine life. now that the block is completely naked i will this week send it into a machine shop to have the cylinders bored out to gett rid of the scratch and also ad some horsepower mouhahahaha, it wont be all that powerful but itll be an upgrade from the 2.5 im not seeking for horse power i just want a fun to drive and reliable daily driver. the engine will probably be oversized .20 -.30 mm or even maybe .40mm.

this weekend i met another member of this forum named Danyel (he is very nice and it was a pleasure to meet him) the owner of the black widow (which is a very nice car btw ) i bought from him a cradle as well as the rear suspension for my swap i will be setting up the engine and transmission onto this cradle which i will then transplant into the car (easy peasy) i also got some very nice snowflake rims and an engraved penulum from him since he wants to encourage my project. Thank you danyel!

here are a couple of pictures :

this is my 1984 fiero

this is the naked block

the cradle and suspension:

the rims and the engraved penulm:

there will be more pictures coming shortly and like i said before all advice is appreciated

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
vladfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2013 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vladfieroSend a Private Message to vladfieroDirect Link to This Post
im having trouble with the pictures ill try to fix it
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2013 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
When you're looking at your pictures in Photobucket, you need to copy the tag that has the [IMG][/IMG] brackets and post it in your reply box.

Then you'll get these;

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post

Fiero84Freak

4787 posts
Member since Feb 2002
And there's your pictures.

The only major electrical hurdle with the 1984 cars in relation to all other years is the location of the C500. It's on the firewall on 1984 model cars. However, GM decided this would not be a suitable location with a larger V6 engine in the compartment and moved the C500 to in front of the battery for 1985 and beyond. There are going to be smaller hurdles to overcome. Hopefully you kept the engine harness from the 2.8L V6 donor car, as you will need it. It would be nice if you have most ALL the engine and ECM related wiring from the donor, but if you do not you can easily acquire whatever you may need.

Many here have swapped their dukes for the 2.8L V6 so it's fairly documented.
vladfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2013 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vladfieroSend a Private Message to vladfieroDirect Link to This Post
thanks fierofreak you are a life saver i had no idea what i did wrong XD
vladfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2013 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vladfieroSend a Private Message to vladfieroDirect Link to This Post

vladfiero

45 posts
Member since Feb 2013
here is the block

[This message has been edited by vladfiero (edited 04-07-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2013 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
vladfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2013 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vladfieroSend a Private Message to vladfieroDirect Link to This Post
thank you it will help alot especially for the electrical part of it
vladfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vladfieroSend a Private Message to vladfieroDirect Link to This Post
today i sent off the engine to to the machine shop to get it cleaned and bored. it will be bored .40 , meanwhile ive been working on installing the 1985 hood on my 84 to accomodate the v6 engine. i removed the rack that was on it and filled up the holes and i painted it black for now becaus i might get the car wrap with 3m vinyl in the futur. i have also been working on a fiberglass side scoop made from scratch its is not ready yet and there are lots of imperfections i have to work on. here are some pictures enjoy.

sorry for the bad angles

vladfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vladfieroSend a Private Message to vladfieroDirect Link to This Post

vladfiero

45 posts
Member since Feb 2013
and the hood

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock