4.9 clutches and water pump swap by daleosis
Started on: 03-24-2013 07:00 PM
Replies: 23
Last post by: daleosis on 03-29-2013 09:53 PM
daleosis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post
hi!

i just bought my old v8 fiero back and the clutch is worn out and its not pushing any water at all to the front of the car, first question is if i can swap the water pump out without dropping out the engine?

my second question is if anyone here has used these clutches on this application before?

http://www.summitracing.com...el/fiero/submodel/gt

i live at a house with a gravel driveway and i have children running around now, i remember trying to line up everything after installing the 4.9 by pulling it around on the dirt with a rope under the frame and dont want to go through that again too. it's for sure going to a shop for the clutch. its been a while since ive wrenched on anything but am on a budget after buying it back... should i just wait for them to drop it for the clutch and pay them to do the pump too?

thanks!
dale
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I've got that same clutch on my 4.9. Works great!

I felt the need to bevel the edge of the center hub down, as it looked like it might hit the flywheel bolts when the lining wore down a bit.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-24-2013).]

daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post
awesome, thanks a lot. that would only leave one last question than... is it possible to swap the water pump with out peeling the car apart?
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I just did one for my swap. From what I can see, there is no problem doing it in the car.

Arn
daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post
thanks everyone!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
If the battery and tray are still in the back, it'll make it a PITA, but the water pump can be done in the car.
This is the main reason I moved my bettery to the front.
daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post
one of the people who bought the fiero between my ownership relocated the battery to the front, the positive cable is rubbing on the exhaust (tacky job imho and sure fired short if its not fixed) but can be easily fixed, i stopped by discount on the way home and purchased a water pump ... it looks like their is plenty of clearance but wasnt sure, ive never done a 4.9 cadillac water pump, especially in a fiero. thank you for the pointers and info, im steadily trying to get back in the swing of wrenching on this thing.

after it gets some rims and paint ill upload pics of it but as of now it looks like trash. someone for sure had fun in it, most of the paint on the front of the car is peeling off. high speed abuse with out a doubt. i jst hope they didnt claim to have done the swap, i did most of it in a gravel driveway with a harbor freight shop lift. it wasnt easy (excluding everything in between).
daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post

daleosis

46 posts
Member since Jun 2010
i still have dreams of going down i75 @ 120+ in her with no exhaust when i was 20.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by daleosis:

...ive never done a 4.9 cadillac water pump, especially in a fiero...

Be careful.

The pump is fastened to a steel plate with studs that protrude through the perimeter of the pump housing. It's held in place by a bunch of 10mm nuts.
DO NOT overtighten those nuts. You can distort the metal plate and cause a new leak. Worst case, the studs can pull through the steel plate and fall out. Don't ask me how I know this.

If you don't have the torque specs handy I can look them up. If I lose the thread, please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Edit - The small screws and nuts are tightened to ~5 ft lbs.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-25-2013).]

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
With 2 of the 3 I have done and the 1 I am doing now, Waterpump change was done prior to installing into the car. I highly recommend that

------------------

88 Formula CJB Arrived Finally. #689 of 1252
Time to start Working TONY!
There are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!
Click here for My 88 t-Top Build

falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caDirect Link to This Post
I believe this can help

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 |Work done 11-12 |Work done 12-13 |4.9 Swap |Parts for sale

PFF
System Bot
daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post
that doesnt look bad at all, just time consuming. thank you for the heads up and torque specs, im going to go spray it down with wd40 and let it sit till this weekend.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by falcon_ca:

I believe this can help

Good show!
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkDirect Link to This Post
When I got my engine that thin plate was a bit distorted from someone replacing the pump. That is one THIN soft plate. be nice to it and it's easy. My new water pump came with a sheet that warned to not remove a couple of bolts to prevent the outlet gasket from shifting, but whoever drew it was wrong about which bolts, so use your noggin when you're doing the job!
daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post
i know we've completed my two questions and i thank everyone very much for the prompt, direct responses. but what radiator did you guys use? i dont want to resort to cutting up the front end and installing a semi radiator to keep my baby cool.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I've got a stock replacement radiator.
I made a change to my cooling system that I think should be done with every Fiero that has the available room, however.

Since I no longer use the stock air filter canister, I installed an overflow bottle there.
I have a fill fitting, in my top hose next to the thermostat housing, with an overflow. I ran an overflow tube over to the bottle.
I replaced the front (radiator) cap with a 20 lb cap, and moved the 16 lb cap to the rear.

I have not had a bit of trouble keeping my cooling system full, or my engine cool, since.

daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post
no fair, yours is cleaner than mine.

has anyone tried installing a dual core or better? i think the lack of cooling had a lot to do with the 2.8 going out @ 165,000 miles.
daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post

daleosis

46 posts
Member since Jun 2010
daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post

daleosis

46 posts
Member since Jun 2010
kind of sorta .... lmao
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by daleosis:

kind of sorta .... lmao

The swapper was probably just trying to connect two hoses to make it to the drivers side coolant tube. I was half tempted to do that. I didn't have any luck finding a hose to hose coupling tube in my area...other than one with a filler cap on it. I didn't give in to the easy but odd looking solution and made my own...

[This message has been edited by Reallybig (edited 03-26-2013).]

daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post
so i pulled off the thermostat housing and their is no thermostat, and checked for clogs, no clogs and then pulled off the water pump and all of its fins were there, just cruddy. i dont understand why its not pushing water. even with an air pocket it should push some kind of liquid through the block...
PFF
System Bot
daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2013 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post
reallybig, nice fab skills. i am the swapper. i suck at wiring and paid someone to do the wiring and they never did it, then the neighbors started calling code enforcement on me and i was forced to sell it about 2 years ago.
daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I guess I'll just put the water hose to it and try to blow out any air pockets it may have...
daleosis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2013 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for daleosisSend a Private Message to daleosisDirect Link to This Post

daleosis

46 posts
Member since Jun 2010
lol... i have absolutely no clue what was wrong with the last pump but thats what it was.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock