Trying to wire up driving lights... Help please by MichRT
Started on: 03-24-2013 01:13 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Bloozberry on 03-26-2013 07:48 PM
MichRT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichRTSend a Private Message to MichRTDirect Link to This Post
I have always wanted to add driving lights to my '85 SE, so I finally bought a kit I liked and bolted it up. It came with a switch, an inline fuse, and all the wiring, which is great! Here is my problem now: I need help wiring it all up I know enough about electrical circuits to make this work, but nothing specific to my Fiero. So here are my questions (please, any help! Thanks! )

1. There is a bolt holding wires (or, on pass side, wire) on either side of the car, just left (of driver side) and right (of pass side) of the headlights. I have reason to suspect these to be body grounds. Is that right? I currently have the driving lights grounded via these bolts (haven't tested it though).

2. Is there a better way to ground the lights other than my method above?

3. How do I get that switch into the cabin?

4. Once in the cabin, how and where should I ground the switch?

5. (Still in the cabin) How do I get 12v to that switch, and from what source would it be drawing from?

Again, any help would be appreciated. I've asked at least one member on here how he installed his setup. Has anyone else done this?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
To add driving lights, you really should install an automotive relay rated at 30A from any auto parts store rather than simply through a switch mounted on the dash. Here's how you would connect it up along with your switch:

1. Unscrew the four torx screws holding the headlight switch to the instrument panel;
2. Splice a new heavy gauge wire to the stock red wire connected to the headlight switch making sure it's long enough to reach the location you want to install the relay under the dash;
3. Connect the new wire to terminal 30 of a SPDP (single pole single throw) 12 volt 30 amp relay;
4. Connect a jumper wire from terminal 30 to one of your new switches terminals, and connect the other switch terminal to the relay terminal 85;
5. Connect a new wire from terminal 86 on the relay to any good ground under the dash (you can simply use a self tapping screw and drill it into any sheet metal)
6. Connect two new wires from terminal 87 (not "87a" if it exists) and run them to your lights. To pass through the firewall, you can drill a couple small holes in the edges of the large electrical connector behind the fuse panel.
7. Connect the ground wire from your lights to any good ground including the two spots you mentioned in your post. Those are the stock grounds for the lighting system and are fine to use.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Bloozberry does it again!
MichRT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichRTSend a Private Message to MichRTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Bloozberry does it again!

Got that right! thank you Bloozberry! Here's an after pic:

I did it just a tad bit different. I found a switch+relay compo piece, rated 12.5v 20a. Has leads for hot 12v, lights positive, and ground. The only hiccup is, I need to find a way to get the positive lead from the lights into my cabin. I'm a little worried about drilling holes in the metal... In the pic it's coming from under the front space and through the top of my window, not exactly ideal
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Use a little caution when drilling. You need to know whats on the other side. I beleve your looking for a Rubber Grommet (comes in diffrent sizes), this prevents wire chafeing.RadioShack sells them or try ebay.
http://www.wiringproducts.c...ber_grommets_big.jpg
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You can almost always find somewhere in the firewall to pass a wire thru piggyback with a factory wire. On older cars, the Speedo cable hole is easy to get more wires thru. On my Superbee, I ran my new temp wires and oil pressure tube thru that...the grommet was like 1 1/2" wide and flat where the cable went. Just took an exacto knife and slit it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

To add driving lights, you really should install an automotive relay rated at 30A from any auto parts store rather than simply through a switch mounted on the dash. Here's how you would connect it up along with your switch...

Close...
Wire between switch and relay #30 should go to Low Beam HL at dimer switch, not relay #30. Wire to dimmer is easy to get at... Dimmer is on steering column.

Why?
So you can't use Fog/Driving lights w/o low beam active. You can be ticket magnet if Fog/Driving lights are On w/o low beam HL is On too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
No longer having EFI in the car, I used the ignition fuse for the EFI to power the driving light circuit. The rest was just following the instructions that came with the lights.

Arn
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Unless its changed, in Ohio aftermarket driving lights are illegal on the road. Apparently not a big deal if they came from factory. Fog lights on the other hand are fine OEM or aftermarket. You just cant drive with foglights on unless FOG IS PRESENT. Thats not to say cops ignore it or not. Tuner guys especially love cruising all day or nite with amber fog lights on. They get tickets.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Close...
Wire between switch and relay #30 should go to Low Beam HL at dimer switch, not relay #30. Wire to dimmer is easy to get at... Dimmer is on steering column.

So, with that wiring, If you switch to hi beams do the driving lights turn off?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-26-2013).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Yes. If you choose Ogre's way to wire them, you will only be able to turn them on while the low beams are on. If you wire them the way I showed, you will be able to turn the driving lights on independently of any other lights being on.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock