3.1 Multi port Swap questions by Fadingaway
Started on: 03-23-2013 09:33 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Fadingaway on 03-23-2013 03:44 PM
Fadingaway

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayDirect Link to This Post
i Bought a 3.1 v6 out of a 92 beretta. i tore it down to a short block an got a deal because i was going to use my top end parts but i have ran into some problems

I dont have a fiero timing chain cover or harmonic balancer anymore what should i do to make the pullys work? could i use a camaro 3.4 balancer and my fiero drive pully and water pump pully?

The motor i bought has dished pistons and i am using iron heads, does anybody know the compression on this setup? i plan on boosting the motor once i finish college next year and knowing all of the specs would be nice.

i should use a 2.8 gasket because of the iron heads correct? i am double checking before i go blowing what little money i have to finish this swap and get my car running again

i will probably have more questions later those are the issues i face now.....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero heads with those pistons will get you about 7.5:1 compression, as I undersatand it.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Which is much to low.

So your choices. Start over rebuilding a 3.4 iron head engine and use the Fiero intake and timing chain cover

Finish the build as a 3.1, and install the engine as a swap. You will need a custom wiring harness and you will need to run your 92 3.1 computer.

A 3100 swap - http://www.gmtuners.com/gold_fiero_3100/index.htm

I do make 3100 swap harnesses also - http://www.reddevilriver.com/Products.html

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
What ever the actual final compression ratio is, it will work fine with the iron heads despite the descent you'll get regarding the combo. I ran a 3100 block with iron heads and the dished pistons turbocharged for about 6 years in my 86 SE 4 speed and it ran fine as well as managed 25+ mpg hwy with the tall muncie gears and low compression suggesting it would have been real nice economy wise with the 5 speed and stock level compression.

Be mindful that only the later design timing cover from the Fiero will work with the aluminum oil pan.

Here is a picture of the motor after it was removed, I also adapted the roller rockers from the 3100 to the iron heads. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/084972-2.html

[This message has been edited by Joseph Upson (edited 03-23-2013).]

Fadingaway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayDirect Link to This Post
My car has a 5 speed and i dont plan on boosting it for a good while like i said, if compression wont affect it too much than i dont care. I will get some pictures of the pully setup i am going to use... i suppose it wont matter as long as the belt lines up and everything is turning and operating as it should, i did get a Gen 2 engine which is the LHO T-Code for its reliablility, i did NOT get a Gen 3 i wasnt looking to do a swap i was looking for a reliable replacement with some extra power hopefully this will turn out as such, thank you for the input
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fadingaway:

My car has a 5 speed and i dont plan on boosting it for a good while like i said, if compression wont affect it too much than i dont care. I will get some pictures of the pully setup i am going to use... i suppose it wont matter as long as the belt lines up and everything is turning and operating as it should, i did get a Gen 2 engine which is the LHO T-Code for its reliablility, i did NOT get a Gen 3 i wasnt looking to do a swap i was looking for a reliable replacement with some extra power hopefully this will turn out as such, thank you for the input

It's not ideal compression wise but put it together with good parts and bolt it to that 5 speed and it should serve you well.
Fadingaway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayDirect Link to This Post
Well i paid good money for a camaro balancer so i can use the fiero drive pully now im waiting on my buddy so we can mach up the system and get a belt for the appropriate size... im actually closer to a running car than i was expecting im going to troubleshoot any issues at this post, any input or info on someone who has done this kind of "swap" would be appriciated

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock