Restoring the "SHAPE" to the front end (or rear) body panels by hcforde
Started on: 03-21-2013 12:08 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: jb1 on 03-25-2013 12:11 AM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone ever tried to restore "SHAPE" to the Enduraflex front end of a "GT or "Formula"?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildDirect Link to This Post
I just did mine. I tried heat etc. It wasn`t very successful. What I ended up doing (My car is a bit of a beater) was to place plywood behind the nose, then screw through the front clip into the plywood. I used 3 layers of 3/8 ply, layered kinda like a pyramid to match the 'peak' of the nose.

You could do the same thing with a fiberglass coat on the inside I think, rather than screwing through the front. My front was stretched in spot due to a front impact so it would never be perfect anyway. It looks WAY better now, even with the 4 stainless screws in it.

Otherwise, you need to find a replacment.

Chay
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
They CAN be heated, but it's not a fast process.

Not on a Fiero, but I was given a bumper cover for our Miata that was deemed worthless by the guy who was parting his out. (It had been driven under a pickup and was crushed down.)
An hour with a hair dryer had the nose looking like new, except for a couple of scratches.

Keystone can restore bumper covers like ours, but it's not inexpensive. http://www.keystoneautomotive.com/

Edit - You'd never believe that this bumper was driven into/under a pickup with enough force to trigger the airbags on the donor car.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-21-2013).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
A wood or metal backing glued on is the best method. You can get into a lot of trouble trying to heat it and reshape it. Same problem with C3/C4 Corvettes. I fix Corvettes with droopy noses by replacing them with fiberglass replica ones from Mid America or Ecklers. You wont get fiberglass to stick on the inside of the urathane. All youd have to do is push on it and it will pop right off, probably in one piece. A coating of urathane filler wont work (but will stick) either because its not rigid. Something Ive never tried is gluing some rigid construction foam to the backside. All new cars use it under front bumper covers to retain the bumpers shape from age.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 03-21-2013).]

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeDirect Link to This Post
You guys have given me an idea. I live in Texas so I will let the natural heat and weight work on it for a while. I am going to put rocks in the nose and let the weight and natural heat do its thing for a few weeks. That should push it back to its shape. Then use some foam to help keep it that way before I put it back on the car. I am tearing down this car and it has some structural damage So it will be a while before it is road worthy if at all.

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 03-23-2013).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
that's about what I did. the expanding Foam behind the whole thing ! covered the front part of the car (where the cover goes over) with saran wrap, put the cover on & filled it all up with expanding foam. next day, took it off, removed the wrap, & it's a perfect fit.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Im not talking about expanding foam just to be clear, im talking about sheet/block foam carved to shape. I had a friend put some expanding foam in the rear of his boat to reinforce and seal it. It looked like it worked great, but after it expanded and hardened, it had broke the deck and transom off of it. Just a word to the wise.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Im not talking about expanding foam just to be clear, im talking about sheet/block foam carved to shape. I had a friend put some expanding foam in the rear of his boat to reinforce and seal it. It looked like it worked great, but after it expanded and hardened, it had broke the deck and transom off of it. Just a word to the wise.

if you're going to do this and buy the crap at lowe's in a can, buy the blue can to avoid this.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2013 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
I "should have stated", you MUST leave a couple of "ways out" for the foam to expand. I've seen people seal around windows in their house only to find that when the foam expanded, it Bent the Aluminum Frame of the window & it would no longer open ! It's got some power behind it . once it hardens behind you bumper cover, it will no longer be able to "Move".
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2013 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
I had the local Keystone ( link in previous reply) restore a front bumper of mine, they fixed a rip in the bumper and brought back original shape. It has been 9-10 years ago but they done a great job. It was around $200 or 250 best I recall..

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar
86GT 3800 n/a

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock