Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Im interested in a 3.8 Thunderbird supercharger for my stock 2.8. Help Wanted!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Im interested in a 3.8 Thunderbird supercharger for my stock 2.8. Help Wanted! by nyranger6830
Started on: 03-20-2013 05:14 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: trotterlg on 04-15-2013 09:16 PM
nyranger6830

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
Hi all,

Started reading on the forum about supercharging a 2.8 and saw that one of the best ways to do it with minimal work and extra parts thrown at the engine is the 3.8 Thunderbird supercharger. Anyone done it before? Not looking to make tons of boost just a quick gain. What would I need other than the SC, and intercooler? Please don't flame me, I'm here to learn.

Thanks

------------------
Fieros......Gotta Love Em!

Dawn: My 86 GT!

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
I was looking at this setup: http://pages.ebay.com/motor...view&id=281080985487

Thoughts?

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nyranger6830:

... supercharging a 2.8 and saw that one of the best ways to do it with minimal work and extra parts thrown at the engine is the 3.8 Thunderbird supercharger.

So where did you see that?

People have been dreaming about using an M90 in a 2.8L since 1999 when this forum went online.
Nobody here has ever done it as far as I know (it won't work on top - too narrow between the heads to fit FI as well).
http://www.fierosearch.com/...20v6&Action=DoSearch

Only ever seen this one (but it's the smaller M62 - not the larger M90)
http://www.mobeck.com/mt/Wiggo%20Kvamtro.asp

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-15-2013).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15147 posts
Member since Nov 1999
NO - don't bother with those so-called "electric superchargers" on eBay
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
TTT

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
You will be miles ahead if you just swap in a series II 3800sc

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
11.17@132.6

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSDirect Link to This Post
Back in the 80's, B&M made a 2.8 supercharger for RWD 2.8's. I think someone in the midwest bought the tooling but never saw anything further. If one were to show up on ebay cheap??? In any event I suppose it would require deck mods as it was for a carb set up.

BR's,

Mark
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

Back in the 80's, B&M made a 2.8 supercharger for RWD 2.8's. I think someone in the midwest bought the tooling but never saw anything further. If one were to show up on ebay cheap??? In any event I suppose it would require deck mods as it was for a carb set up.

BR's,

Mark

http://fageolsuperchargers.com/

BAM-BAM

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BAM-BAMSend a Private Message to BAM-BAMDirect Link to This Post
I have thought about this setup, but haven't gotten the nerve. I have seen it on 2.8 S-10's and have even contacted Mark Fageol personally (nice guy). Maybe call him and ask some questions?? http://fageolsuperchargers.com/ https://www.facebook.com/FageolSuperchargers

Peace!!!

B2

------------------
Peace!!

B2 OUT!!
86GT 3.4LProject

[This message has been edited by BAM-BAM (edited 03-21-2013).]

ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
if someone made an oval or rectangular plenum that bolted to the top of that supercharger (where the carb or throttle body mounts) , mounted a throttle body off the backside near the stock location and then mounted injectors horizontally along the sides of said plenum...would it work and or fit under the hood? the upper intake sits pretty high on the stock 2.8. thus you could use a 7730 computer with a 2.8 or 3.4 ( the better choice for the mod) and a dis or even a regular distributor set up. i saw somewhere where an intake had the injectors mounted along each side of the top of the tunnel in a horizontal position and the runners ran down under them to the heads.
just a thought,
al
BAM-BAM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BAM-BAMSend a Private Message to BAM-BAMDirect Link to This Post
Ace, what about a TBI set up and using a hinged, snorkel (over the roof) intake? I have seen the snorkel before and although at the time I thought it looked weird, if it would allow this application, I would embrace it with open arms.

Peace!!

B2
PFF
System Bot
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
What if the SC was mounted on the plenum with a reverse cowl hood scoop or mustang scoop so that the deck can be cut? Isn't that easy enough?

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

BAM-BAM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2013 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BAM-BAMSend a Private Message to BAM-BAMDirect Link to This Post
Yup, that would be ean easy remedy to some major engineering and fabrication. However the unit is already set up for the TBI and just the fab and mod to the decklid would be necessary. Of course either way you go there would have to be changes to the ECM and harness (I suppose).

Peace!!

B2

[This message has been edited by BAM-BAM (edited 03-22-2013).]

ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
wow, that is really a sweet set up!
i was just thinking sleeper, keep as much hidden as possible and then when someone tests you on the road....they don't know what they're in for. with the above set up, it's kind of hard to pretend you're stock...lol
ricksmastermix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2013 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricksmastermixClick Here to visit ricksmastermix's HomePageSend a Private Message to ricksmastermixDirect Link to This Post
I have the complete T-Bird supercharger setup, including an M-90 Eaton SC, inter-cooler, TB and all of the interconnecting tubing. Everything is in great condition.

Call me for pix and/or pricing. Trades considered.

Rick 706.424.9359
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2013 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
Well Ive been researching this immensely lately and I picked up 2 M90's locally and got a good deal on them. Both are clean and spin freely. So here's some pictures I took:

They both pretty much look like this:

So Im interested in this back piece. The whole piece is bulky and takes up quite a bit of space in the engine compartment.

Im wondering if most of it can be cut off and blocked with a plate. And have the throttle body come out through the back facing the stock throttle body position. Something like this:

What are these pieces, and are they needed?

Thanks everyone

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post
Still looking for answers

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
The part with the vacuum actuator is a bypass valve. 3 & 4 might be throttle heaters lines. 5 is another vacuum source.

You should probably ditch that whole assembly since its so bulky and come up with your own piping. You could run without a bypass valve or run a bov assuming you are going to have an intercooler piped in.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nyranger6830:

... supercharging a 2.8 and saw that one of the best ways to do it with minimal work and extra parts thrown at the engine is the 3.8 Thunderbird supercharger.

I've searched and searched and could not find anyone who's done what you said you read about.
Got a website for that? I mean, didn't they document their work and be able to help you?

Are you sure it wasn't the TURBO-charger from a Thunderbird you were reading about??
That's the only reference I've found between a Fiero/Thunderbird.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-087086.html

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-15-2013).]

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
How about taking the output air unit off the supercharger, machine the 2.8 upper intake flat on the top and cut a hole it it to match the hole in the supercharger output. Now drill access holes in the bottom of the upper intake so you can bolt the supercharger directly to the upper intake. cut off the air inlet on the upper intake and plug it up. You are finished up if you can mount a TB to the supercharger intake with some kind of blow off valve. Larry
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I've searched and searched and could not find anyone who's done what you said you read about.
Got a website for that? I mean, didn't they document their work and be able to help you?

Are you sure it wasn't the TURBO-charger from a Thunderbird you were reading about??
That's the only reference I've found between a Fiero/Thunderbird.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-087086.html

Yea that was one of the only ones Fiero related. I've looked at a lot of jeep and mustang threads using the exact SC

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

PFF
System Bot
nyranger6830

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nyranger6830Send a Private Message to nyranger6830Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by trotterlg:

How about taking the output air unit off the supercharger, machine the 2.8 upper intake flat on the top and cut a hole it it to match the hole in the supercharger output. Now drill access holes in the bottom of the upper intake so you can bolt the supercharger directly to the upper intake. cut off the air inlet on the upper intake and plug it up. You are finished up if you can mount a TB to the supercharger intake with some kind of blow off valve. Larry

I like your idea but it would be way to challenging. In addition, there would be no way to cool the intake charge via an intercooler which would for sure cause kmock

------------------

NEED PARTS? I GOT EM!!

trotterlg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgDirect Link to This Post
Lots of supercharged engines don't have an intercooler, not a show stopper. Complicated? Take off the upper intake, take it to a machine shop and machine off the fins. Cut a hole in it and bolt on the supercharger. Put a large cork in the intake. You are done. Larry

[This message has been edited by trotterlg (edited 04-15-2013).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock