Ignition switch ? car wont start by Atlanta1
Started on: 03-16-2013 03:20 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 03-21-2013 06:48 PM
Atlanta1

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Direct Link to This Post
As I was enjoying the beautiful Saturday driving my 86 fiero I came to a light
and my car cut off and usually I can restart my car this time I couldnt Had
to coast to a parking lot and had my car towed home. The key switch moves freely.The panel lights do
not light up nor do the gauges move.When I push the key the ignintion I
hear the chime. My headlights come on fine. So whats the call here? bad
ignition switch? also my power windows dont work now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiDirect Link to This Post
Inspect the ignition switch connector and terminals for signs of overheating. All switched power for the car goes through the ign switch and I have seen connectors melt and the terminals lose contact.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Might be quite a few things.Check your fuseable links.Yea,might be the ignition switch (not the key switch),you will need a mirror to see the screws holding it on and a stubey screw driver.But first you should allso check your battery cables for acid on the contact sides (preventing your battery from charging).After checking the battery cables for acid on the contact sides,check your battery to see if its fulley charged.If your alternator died,then you drove the car untill the battery was drained.Most likely you wouldn't be able to crank the car.But First check those battery cables.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 03-16-2013).]

Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2013 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
There are a lot of things to check.

Does the starter turn the engine over? What is the voltage reading on the battery? If you turn the key and the engine fails to turn over, do you have a clicking sound coming from the starter? Does the car start if you jump it?

There are many more follow-up questions to ask depending on the answers to the above.
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Direct Link to This Post
There is nothing coming on like gauges,panel lights , air and no clicking sound just a chime when pushing the key in.
I will start getting the car diagonosed starting with fusable link battery seems fine headlights work
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2013 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiDirect Link to This Post
There are 2 fuseable links by the battery that feed power to the fuse box. The headlights are fed by fuseable link "A", since the lights are working, that link should be good. The chime module is fed constant B+ through the "stop/hazard" fuse. This fuse recieves power via fuseable link "B", since the key in chime is working, more than likely that link is also good. Do your brake lights work? They are also fed via fuseable link "B". An easy way to check the links is to give them a light tug, if they are burned out inside, they will stretch when you pull on them. If the links are good, the next step is to inspect the 2 10gauge red wires going to the ign switch, these 2 wires feed power to all of the circuits that come on when the key is on. You will need to get your head up under the dash to see them, the switch is mounted to the top of the steering column with the wires facing to the right. Turn the key to the "run" position and give the wires a wiggle and see if any of the affected systems react.

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 03-17-2013).]

85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Direct Link to This Post
When you say the key turns freely do you mean like it's not connected to anything? That just might be the case. I wonder if the ignition switch might be loose. If you can reach the switch behind the dash on top of the steering column see if it's tightly attached. If not you should probably pull the dash and drop the column (not as hard as it sounds) and make it tight. When you have the dash apart turn the key and see if the ignition pushrod moves. If not - well, just hope that it does.
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Direct Link to This Post
Ok guys the brake light is working also my alarm light is blinking so all my lights are working
just no start up panel lights key just moves like normal with a chime when pushed in.
I am having my mechanic come to my house in the morning to check everything like
the fusable links and switch I bought a new ignition switch from advance auto $13.99 incase
i need it.
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Direct Link to This Post
Ok guys my mechanic belives its the gear mechanism in the
steering column that is gone bad. Any suggestions for a retro fit
gear mechanism? or where I can get a new part that goes inside the steering column?
kyote

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kyoteClick Here to visit kyote's HomePageSend a Private Message to kyoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Atlanta1:

gear mechanism? or where I can get a new part that goes inside the steering column?

Gear mechanism? do you mean from the Key ign switch to the actual Ign switch on top of the column?
Just go to a junkyard and get a column..lots easier to change that then messin' with the "gears" inside the column..
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Atlanta1:

This is the problem you didn't want to have. While the parts are easy (it's a Dorman Help card) and the tools are not bad (you can borrow them from O'Reilly's for free) it's a pretty big job. You'll also need a pivot pin puller for about ten dollars, by the way. There is no real way around it either. A rebuilt column (or rebuilding yours) seems to run about $300. The problem with a junkyard column is, unless it comes with keys, you still have to take it apart to install a new key cylinder.

If I were you I would look into the problem some more before attempting this. Look to see if that pushrod moves when you turn the key. If it does you probably don't need to take everything apart.

PFF
System Bot
Atlanta1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Atlanta1Send a Private Message to Atlanta1Direct Link to This Post
My mechanics who has dealt alot with gm steering columns will be
replacing the all new rod,gear mechanism , and ignition switch rebuilding the
steering column has so many small components.The parts will cost me around $130.00

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Direct Link to This Post
i have a bad feeling about this

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock